# 1 (permalink)  

Am I here?

Just testing.

Sharon, alcoholic.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sharon,

You're here! And, it's a great place! I hope you look around and keep posting.

Anna
Old 07-22-2004, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

About enabling

I have been trying to stop drinking for several months. I go to AA meetings several times a week. I keep looking for a sponsor. I'm a 30 something with a great childhood, amazing family, nice career; so I looked at getting a sponsor as anything else -- a careful, methodical prcoess.

In between these meetings I have lapses and I drink. My husband is now going to AlAnon, and he has been amazing.

Here is my question: when I fall apart, and all I know is that I need a drink, what am I supposed to do? I refuse to drive drunk, and I can't ask him to buy it.

ShareBear
Old 07-22-2004, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by ShareBear

Here is my question: when I fall apart, and all I know is that I need a drink, what am I supposed to do? I refuse to drive drunk, and I can't ask him to buy it.

ShareBear
Hi Sharon. My name's Dan, and addict. Alcohol was probably my favorite poison the last ten years. For the longest time, I wasn't able to dispute the notion of I need a drink.
And in retrospect, I wish I could have.
I would have saved myself and my family a lot of ugly, painful days and nights.
How strong is your desire for sobriety?
And welcome to SoberRecovery
Old 07-22-2004, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hey Sharon--My name is Laura and I am an alcoholic/pothead with a few twenty-four hours sober. I heard you say you are going to meetings, but how many are you going to? It is recommended by many that you go to at least one a day for the first few months. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really helps. Also, even if you can't find a sponsor, you can always ask women at your meetings for phone numbers. They should be more than willing. Then, when you get that urge, you call another alcoholic. It DOES NOT inconvenience them. In fact, by helping you, they are helping themselves stay sober. Early sobriety can be very hard. However, it is a simple program. Do anything and everything you can to keep from taking that first drink!

Best of luck. Keep posting. Others will be along to offer their experience, strength and hope as well.

Old 07-22-2004, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sharon,
welcome to SoberRecovery, one of the greatest places I know of. There are alot of people here who are willing to share their experience, strength and hope with you. I know that for me, when the pain got great enough, I surrendered to my higher power. Now, every morning I ask him to just keep me sober for the day. Today is all we got. Keep coming back, and keep going to AA. When you go, get the phone numbers of women, they can help you get through the bad times without a drink.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sharon. I'm Marty, alcoholic. Alcoholism does not discriminate between the rich/poor successfull/jobless. I had an OK childhood. I have a decent job. Did not look "Alcoholic" on the outside. That Kept me from reaching out for the help I so desperatly needed. Anyway, as Laura mentioned, definatly hang out after/before meetings, talk to other women. Some groups Have a sponsorship roster. You can ask the meeting chairperson about that. Many people at the meetings will be more than happy to help out! Best of luck!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hello! Is this seat taken??

Don't think, don't drink, and go find a meeting. Anywhere.

Recovery is about changing our behaviors, and the first few months the most important one to change is the craving to hide in the effect of alcohol. It's easier there, we understand the pain there. But true recovery is walking out of that fog and coming to undersand our insanity so we don't go back.

When I conceded to my innermost self that I was an alcoholic, the first step had been accomplished. Until then, I thought I wasn't 'one of them', and had no recovery.

Have a chat with your innermost self, and see where you stand. If you want the pain and insanity to stop, then nothing can stop you. And then G*d will provide.

good luck - pad
Old 07-23-2004, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome!
you're here for sure!
indigo