Notices

The best thing about sobriety

Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The best thing about sobriety

It's hard to pinpoint the single "best thing" about being sober because there are so many positives, but I think, for me, the best part is the feeling of peace and calm in my life. I've lived in and thrived on chaos for so long, it was weird at first .... I didn't know how to just "be" without fighting everything. When I finally chose to throw down my gloves and just live life on life's terms, everything in my little world improved ... and I mean everything. I am so much happier, more content with life, more comfortable in my own skin. I have never felt contentment in my life, which is pretty sad to say at 46 years of age, but I have found it now.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love waking up and remembering everything from the day before about sobriety. Keep fighting the good fight you are an inspiration, I love your enthusiasm.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeap, chaos was my life too for soo long!!

I think we all deserve a bit of peace and contentment now!!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

47 here Holly... Yup, I getcha.

I have been spending some time getting to know a new person in my life. Yes, romantically and yes, I realize this is not "suggested" as a great idea in recovery. This person is actually someone from my youth. We knew each other by face and reputation only as we went to high school together (and apparently each had a crush on the other). What blows my mind is how we are "organically" coming to know one another slowly and patiently and it is ..so incredibly lovely. We go to movies, and walks by the river and talk for hours and hours..

What is gone is the drama and painful roller coaster I used to be on in "new relationship" when I jumped into intimacy far too fast. I "feel" like the young person I used to be in highschool before alcohol ravaged my life...

Words cannot express the gift of that. I feel far more confident sober than I EVER did drinking. And I know that if I was to pick up a drink..this relationship would be over as I would circumvent process in one way or another. I would move things along far too quick and then sabotage it all in fear. That was my drinking pattern...and then as usual..would end up alone with my bottle..wondering why I could never find a healthy relationship...

This is the best part of my sobriety right now...as I get to know me...I am allowing someone else the same offering. This is me..warts and all...this is who I am... a bit introverted and not one to "make the first move"..as I have so many times before and fallen into relationship with a "Mr. Wrong"... It is beyond beautiful.

That being said..it is NOT the reason I am sober...it's just a beautiful gift of it. I am so very glad this nice, kind solid responsible man did NOT come into my life when I was so very unhealthy... he would have ran like the wind.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
What is gone is the drama and painful roller coaster I used to be on in "new relationship" when I jumped into intimacy far too fast.

I would circumvent process in one way or another. I would move things along far too quick and then sabotage it all in fear. That was my drinking pattern...and then as usual..would end up alone with my bottle..wondering why I could never find a healthy relationship...
Wow Nuu ... you and I could be twins That ^^^ is my relationship history in a nutshell right there!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My favorite thing so far is having more time to do things I want to do. When I was drinking, I would waste the whole day recovering from hangovers. I would also sometimes feel shame or regret - not the best way to start a day. When I wake up sober - life is good. I feel happier to be alive.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hokey View Post
Wow Nuu ... you and I could be twins That ^^^ is my relationship history in a nutshell right there!
This is soooooo much better....sooooo much : )
Old 09-07-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm really happy for you Nuu
Old 09-07-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

So many things to say but here's 3 light humored reasons i think we can all mostly agree on

Having an appetite (dinner time smelling food when your hungry)

Eating your favourite meal (rib eye steak and chips)

Eating your favourite desert (my mil tiramisu is so good)
Old 09-07-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Being mentally present at work and not risking my (excellent) job by boozing.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

great post Holly. Yes, I've learned the same thing myself. I'm more calm than I have ever been in my life.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The peace is the best thing for me. The peace from the frenetic self-talk, drama and obsessing amazes me each and every day.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

My favorite part is that I am being authentic. I'm learning to accept my weaknesses and embrace my strengths. I am learning to love myself.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The shame and regret were the worst. I hated myself. Im taking time to enjoy the smaill things again... pushing my daughter on the swing, watching her play, cooking and eating! Being a better wife. Lighting my favorite candle (leaves from bath and body) watcing it rain, reading my devotionals, sleeping well, feeing like I'm getting things accomplished through out the day.... the list goes on! ending day 7
Old 09-07-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel much less stressed and anxiety level is way down. Nothing has changed in my life except I stopped drinking. .....yes!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One other great thing about sobriety ... all the amazing, inspiring people that I have met and now consider my closest friends, although they were strangers but a few short months ago. They are a wonderful gift of sobriety, and for that I am forever grateful.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sleep. Plain and simple.
Crawling into bed and not passing out on top of the covers. Fully dressed. Hate it!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I totally agree with the peace and calm. I used to use my children as an excuse to drink- the stress of being a mother- and just felt so out of control and overwhelmed at times. Now that I have stopped drinking I find that I am much less stressed and can handle the natural bumps of parenthood with a calm head and even temper.
I also love how I feel so connected to other people. I adore my two boys and am madly in love with my boyfriend, I have a nice relationship with the father of my children, I don't have many friends here, but the ones I do I appreciate very much. But while I was drinking, despite this love for many people I loved alcohol more. I remember regularly feeling anxious for my boyfriend to leave in the evenings so I could really rip into the wine without judgement or attempts to stop me. Now I am so happy to have him linger and can fully engage with him in a positive way.
My kids are much closer to me, I can feel it. They are maybe to young to understand what the difference is but I know they feel it and I do too. It is wonderful.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
pray for strength

hokey...you are pretty amazing Wasn't life with alcohol just a three ring circus? Thanks for the inspiration

Old 09-08-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What a great post Holly. I feel exactly the same way. Here's to sobriety and living life on life's terms!