SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Ok panic mode (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/344280-ok-panic-mode.html)

~Lia~ 09-06-2014 06:38 PM

Ok panic mode

Thunderstorms, hanging in the garage, Xmas lights music. Hubby and brother are drinking beer, we are hanging out. I am making tea, brother doesn't know I quit drinking and I don't want to tell him. Not ready yet.

If tonight wasn't the night for temptation. Would LOVE a beer.

Tea is boiling, gotta go but I can do this!!! Agh!!!

PurpleKnight 09-06-2014 06:43 PM

Keep pushing through!! :)

Soberwolf 09-06-2014 06:44 PM

Hang in there keep posting !!!

bunnezjp 09-06-2014 06:52 PM

Chill with us if you need the Boost :herewego

Bunnez

SoberHoopsFan 09-06-2014 07:27 PM

Being in an environment with others drinking and not telling them about your decision is setting up a scenario where it would be easy to cave and drink. I would re-think a decision not to tell a family member you hang out with.

~Lia~ 09-06-2014 07:46 PM

I told my brother. And took him out to get craft beer, and some IPA s . I am jealous but picked up some pelligrino and am drinking them over ice.

But man wish I could have a beer but will pull through. My husband would kill me if I even suggested the idea of relapsing after the hell I put him through!!

Ruby2 09-06-2014 09:09 PM

You are doing this for you, not your husband. Can you Hang out in the house for a bit instead?

Soberwolf 09-07-2014 02:45 AM

Why do you wish you could have a beeer

Do you think i wish i could have a beer

You couldn't pay me 500 trillion to have a drink (now that's trill)

I hate alcohol so much why would you wish it ?

sprout50 09-07-2014 05:01 AM

Lia, I am glad to read that you didn't give in to temptation and have a beer. You mentioned that your husband would kill you if you relapsed. Can I ask a question? If he knows you are struggling to stay sober, why is he drinking with your brother in the garage? And whose idea was it for you to drive your brother to the store to buy more beer? Clearly, this is way too much temptation for you right now. Can you ask your husband not to bring beer home?

My hat is off to you for staying so strong in that situation!

MelindaFlowers 09-07-2014 07:15 AM

I'm glad you told your brother. In the past I never told anyone so I could drink again whenever and with whoever. I always caved in situations like that in the garage and was relieved that I wasn't breaking my word to anyone (except myself). Thunder storms were always a huge trigger for me as well.

HeartsAfire 09-07-2014 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers (Post 4884580)
I'm glad you told your brother. In the past I never told anyone so I could drink again whenever and with whoever. I always caved in situations like that in the garage and was relieved that I wasn't breaking my word to anyone (except myself). Thunder storms were always a huge trigger for me as well.

Same here on telling. And if I did say anything I told people I was "cutting back." I did this to give myself an out because I didn't want to stop forever - just wanted to cure myself. Ha!

This time though when it comes up I have decided to stand firm in saying, "I no longer drink." It it gets pushed further my next response is, "My life is unmanageable when I drink." Period. Nothing further needs to be said.

Anna 09-07-2014 07:37 AM

I think it's fine to tell people you're not drinking, if you want to, but remember you are doing this for yourself, and ultimately it's up to you.