Notices

Empty Feeling

Old 09-06-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Empty Feeling

I made it to day 14! Been going to meetings everyday. My sleep pattern in terrible which I know will pass. At what week does the empty feeling pass?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 14!!

A part of Sobriety I found was not simply not drinking, I needed to fill life and all this new found time with new activities, new goals, new interests, what did I now want to achieve with my new Sober life?

It'll take time but as we start to carve out a new Sober lifestyle, I found those feelings subsided!!
Old 09-06-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on two weeks livingbetter
I think it varies a lot from person to person.

For me it took three months before I felt 'not empty'; for others that time is much less.

Give it some time. Normal sleep will help a lot too

D
Old 09-06-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I plan to get back to working out to help with this feeling. Bought a cute gym outfit today for motivation
Old 09-07-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 2 weeks
Old 09-07-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Two weeks is wonderful! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The empty feeling to starts to pass when you begin to fill your life up with real things in place of drinking. Booze crowds out so much other stuff that eventually you're not really living, just existing to drink. It takes a little while to figure out who and what you are but at least it's a new chance to make yourself what you want to be.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Two weeks is awesome! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
I plan to get back to working out to help with this feeling. Bought a cute gym outfit today for motivation
Alynn - I did the same! Although I am almost to 2 months sober so it took me awhile. I bought new sneakers because my sneakers were shot, I also am on a mission to find shoes that work for me - they all hurt my feet! I trained in ballet for years so I have broken toes and stunted feet...and no relief from discomfort. I am trying Saucony. I have tried many brands. I also got some workout clothes - ready to hit the gym - tomorrow! ouch, I'm scared...
Old 09-07-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two weeks. The further you go the better you will feel. I think Alynn has a great idea, have you considered working out? You could join a gym, which would not only be good for fitness, but there are other people there to feel social in a non-drinking environment. I'm not a fan of chatting/socializing at the gym, I'm there to work out. However, I think just having other people around, even if you are not actively engaging with them, satisfies a need for human contact.
Just getting your blood pumping will make you feel better. It will give you more energy and a goal to focus on. If you don't have the money or desire to join a gym you can also go for walks or runs. I also once read an article that said dancing for 5 minutes in the morning does wonders for our moods. I think this could be any exercise, but the article specifically mentioned dancing. Which is fun, I have to admit! Put on your favorite songs and dance by yourself for a bit in the morning.
It won't take away all the emptiness but it is a start to getting going in a positive direction.
Good luck to you, we are here for you when you need to talk.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Livingbetter View Post
Been going to meetings everyday.
Reading the book too?
Old 09-08-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done on two weeks.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

keep it up!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The first two weeks were really hard for me. I was just...sober...just going through motions..sober...everything was still "black and white"...
And each moment passes it's like moving to glorious technicolor...more things become much more vivid and clear..and at times, very much...lovely.

That's not to say it's easy..but it's real my friend. I find my sobriety..and well mental state...very much like the weather. It changes and is often times a tad unpredictable...but storm clouds pass, and the sun always shines again...not as quick as I like it sometimes...but it does.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes well done on two weeks ......