Notices

I never knew how hard staying sober would be

Old 09-05-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I never knew how hard staying sober would be

Hi Everyone,

Its been around 48 hours since my last drink.

My drinking had got out of all control. I think about drinking all of the time, I plan my day around it, carefully selecting the drink for the night with meticulous care and attention. I would spend money I didn't really have buying it every single night.

Sometimes I would get mildly tipsy, but mostly I would just fall asleep. Undeterred I would just drink more potent alcohol the next day and the next.

I watched a program with Donald Trump and he was talking to a celebrity, I think it could of been Celebrity Apprentice USA. They were both patting each other on the back about never drinking "just a smidge, once", said Donald, the other guy said he had never even had that.

I google celebrities how are tee-total and the list went on and one, with many of the people who you think would be drinkers actually aren't.

Some had just had enough like Gerard Butler (King Leonidas - 300). He has been clean for 15 years after becoming addicted, just like me.

Yes being sober is hard, it is a nightmare.

I tell myself, being sober is akin to grief. At first it is unbearable, then in time it become manageable until eventually its no longer a part of your psyche.

We just have to get put our backs into the fact, that drinking can no longer be the currency by which we live our lives.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well said
Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen
Old 09-05-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

It gets easier. Never easy, but much easier. One day at a time, you can do this.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post. It helps me to remind myself of how many people don't drink. And heck, the ones that do drink very little most of the time.

It helps to remind me that life can be fun and normal and possible without drinking. I was having a wicked craving last night and I went down the list in my head.

My mother isn't drinking.
Me sister isn't drinking......

I listed off about 20 people I know that do not drink on random weeknights. They need a wedding or party to have their two or three beers.

Thank you for the reminder how many happy and successful people don't drink.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will get easier and you will realize more and more that not all people drink.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely gets easier!!

But I guess if it was as easy as having sheer will power in the beginning places like SR, AA and rehab wouldn't need to exist!!

Keep pushing through!!