Notices

Sad and feeling it all.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sad and feeling it all.

Well, my best friend and partner of 11 1/2 years is really starting to fail and today she wouldn't eat her breakfast. My dog, my girlie, who has seen me through the good and the bad of the past years, sometimes the only one to know the real me when I was divorcing, going through another bad break up and numerous other times, now needs me to be here for her. While I cannot save her I am making every effort for her to age with dignity and without pain, as I swore to do the very first day we met. My once healthy and vibrant girl is now tired, lethargic, deaf and stiff, having more bad days than good. We are quite surely nearing the end. My only solace is that I had the smarts to come out of the bottle and really be here for her for these past months.

The Beast does perk up his ears at this, of course. But there is no way I will pick up. I have other things to attend to.

I'm not sure why dogs have such short lives. Doesn't seem fair at all.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 09-05-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry and understand completely. My baby girl turns 11 next month-she's still doing well so far but I see the changes.
Hang in there.
I agree-why do their lives have to be so short?
My girl is a big girl but of a breed with a fairly long life span. There are breeds I love but could never have due to the brevity of their lives.
Your girl is lucky to have a loving and sober Mom.
Stay strong!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry. I love my two dogs more than anything and can't imagine the pain you are going through. Just like she was strong when you were weak, you have to return the favor. My heart truly goes out to you and your pup!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I am so sorry. I had to put down my 15 year old kitty a few weeks back. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I promised her I would never let her suffer. I let her go while she still had some quality of life, but I knew she'd never get better.

Mega ((((HUGS)))) for you and your sweet little girl.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

aw. So sorry your lovely girl is nearing her time.

I have lost so many animals over the years and it is always sad for me. I think they know when it's their time.

She knows she is loved and appreciates you.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so sorry that your beloved dog is failing. So many of us here have found the love from our pets immeasurable and they have helped us through recovery. Good on you for being able to make the sober, loving and selfless decision as your lovely girl fades.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So, so sorry! I know that is so painful for you. Have you seen this? Warning, it will make you cry:http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/th...d-hear#3icxw2w
Old 09-05-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
So, so sorry! I know that is so painful for you. Have you seen this? Warning, it will make you cry:http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/th...d-hear#3icxw2w

Yes, I have seen it. You're right, it made me cry! As does the "So God Made A Dog" video, which I can't even watch at this point.

Thank you all for your kind words.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Viking I'm so sorry too. I lost my English Mastiff (who helped me get sober) when she was just 7. It was horrible of course, but I was so glad I was coherent and responsible when the time came to deal with it.

As I was grieving I tried to remember that she would never have wanted to see me sad, and wouldn't have wanted to be the cause of it. After the tears subsided, that thought really helped. Plus, I know we'll see them again. Sending love to you. We share your pain.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
I'm not sure why dogs have such short lives. Doesn't seem fair at all.

Robert Frost, the poet, wrote a couplet called "The Span of Life"

The old dog barks backward without getting up.
I can remember when he was a pup

A dog's short time on earth allows us to experience the span of it's life. For some of us, from birth to death. The totality of life. We learn so much during this short span, the many joys, and sadly, death. But that's the dog's gift to us--the totality of it's life so we can learn from it the lessons we need to bring us to understand the span of our own lives and the lives of our human loved ones.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

She's gone. A little bit after my post she stumbled and I had to carry her up the stairs. She was laboring to breathe and we got her to the vet. Her heart was struggling to keep my brave girl here for me. I couldn't let her suffer, so I did what had to be done. Now I will cry, laugh and remember her for the friend she was. She taught me so much and I miss her forever. I love you, Willow. I know you're still here.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Peace to you, Viking..... so sorry for your loss. Losing my kitty this year was one of the most difficult things I have been through.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

<3 Willow is watching over you from doggie heaven <3 I'm sorry for your loss
Old 09-05-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Viking.

It broke my heart when my beloved pooch passed a few years ago. They have such short lives but give so much every single day, made me really appreciate the time I had with him.

You and Willow are both in my thoughts, stay strong
Old 09-05-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

((((HUGS))))
Old 09-05-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss L.
Prayers for you and willow.

There's a lovely story that I see from time to time about why dogs live such a short life span. The punchline if you like goes something like this:

'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody unconditionally and being friendly, caring loving and nice...living and appreciating life in the moment...dogs already know how to do all that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

hugs,
D
Old 09-05-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Viking - I am so sorry and very sad for you. You did the right thing, but I know ho much it hurts.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

RIP dear Willow. Thank you for taking good care of your mom. You'll be together again one day.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss, thoughts are with you and Willow!!