SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My family think I'm mad. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/344148-my-family-think-im-mad.html)

loveablelobster 09-05-2014 09:20 AM

My family think I'm mad.

I've been sober for months.

I live with my mum and dad, and even even with their best intentions, it's getting to me the way that they are acting towards me. I would even go as far to class it as emotional abuse.

I had a job interview today, which went extremely well, I was talking to my mum when I got home over coffee and she just said suddenly 'THEN WHY WERE YOU SO DRUNK WHEN YOU WENT TO BUY SHOES FOR IT YESTERDAY?!'

I've been preparing for this for weeks. I think it went very well. She has ruined it. I hate when people turn a mountain into a molehill, but is a mountain- or is it a molehill?

Please help.

MIRecovery 09-05-2014 09:25 AM

Confused, we're you drinking going to bye shoes?

doggonecarl 09-05-2014 09:26 AM

She's your mom. I suspect she's always been like this. Have you always been so sensitive?
She's not going to change, so your reaction to her must change. This is a molehill you are making into a mountain. Take a deep breath...she didn't ruin your interview, you said it went great. So congrats, hope you get the job.

PurpleKnight 09-05-2014 09:28 AM

There's always going to be the critics in life, those that are negative and put a damper on things, whether it's family, work, friends etc!!

I found it took a long time for my family to really understand and believe that my Sobriety was a permanent change, they had heard it all before though, so to get past that scepticism a long period of time was needed!!

Your Sobriety is yours, be proud of the changes you have made in your life and the steps you are taking moving forward such as applying for jobs etc!! :)

Soberwolf 09-05-2014 09:56 AM

Its not a molehill its a mountain if you have had a drink

It is a molehill if you haven't

Soberwolf 09-05-2014 01:33 PM

Hi I've just re read that you say you haven't drunk in months

Why did your mum say that it isn't a nice thing to say try to dust it off your shoulder you know you went drunk

Maybe explain to mum that it has hurt to hear that esp as you were sober

Good luck

Anna 09-05-2014 01:36 PM

Emotional abuse is not acceptable. My hope would be that you get the job you interviewed for and make plans to move out. Emotional abuse can drain you, and this is a time when you need to rebuild your self-esteem, not have it stomped on.

Soberwolf 09-05-2014 01:38 PM

Hi I've just re read that you say you haven't drunk in months

Why did your mum say that it isn't a nice thing to say try to dust it off your shoulder you know you went drunk

Maybe explain to mum that it has hurt to hear that esp as you were sober

Good luck