Notices

Lost my fight with control. Day1!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KDBnSLC View Post
I can't moderate AT ALL! I can wish all I want to but I now know that even with one sip a switch turns on in my brain and all will power magically flies out the window. SR is the only place I can turn to for people who understand that.
Beer is no problem with me. I guess that is why I thought I would be fine. It is the liquor that gets me every time. I don't LOVE beer so I have no issue not drinking it. Whiskey is like water to me though
Old 09-04-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Look man my own mother offered to wing me off pills..and I told her that won't work soon as the one pill wore off and she wouldn't give another I'd be ringing the dope dealers phone off the hoooook
Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VioletStorm View Post
Beer is no problem with me. I guess that is why I thought I would be fine. It is the liquor that gets me every time. I don't LOVE beer so I have no issue not drinking it. Whiskey is like water to me though
I hope I don't come across too preachy. But, I think beer may be a problem for you. After all, it was a couple of beers, that got you to buy that bottle of whiskey. Coming to that realization may help you.

pakman
Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Totallly undersand everyones point about moderation. I didn't for the longest time but now I get it! I could have 2 or 3 if I knew I had to work early and HAD to cut myself off. However it would lead to me coming home for my days off and having well lets just see a bunch.. I think for me it's easier to not have any then to pace myself or cut myself off which just makes me angry.

Welcome to a like minded group!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here VioletStorm - glad to have you join us

D
Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Alynn nailed it for me, as well as the folks who have said "I CAN control it... but then I don't enjoy it. And if I enjoy it, I can't control it."

That pretty much sums it up. I'm learning I don't/didn't like (hate?) drinking 2 and stopping. To (quote-unquote) 'enjoy' it, I needed to get ripped. Then, I hated everything else- myself, the next day, the morning, my life, my health, my guilt, my grief, my relationships.

Not worth it. So not worth it.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

ugh why did we do it to ourselves.. lol afraid of feeling left out maybe? Left out of what??? puking, head aches, black outs, loss of relationships, not being able to eat for days, embarassing ourselves, hurting the people who love us... the list goes on and on. NO THANKS I'll just have to miss out from now on
Old 09-04-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by VioletStorm View Post
I would suggest that you rethink this. Beer is how you started. It was no immediate problem, but it soon (within a few days) lead to more drinking. There was a time when I could have had a little beer and there would not be an immediate consequence. Beer proved to be both the physical and psychological fuel for continued drinking in the not too distant future.

This is a HUGE trap. Beware.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pakman View Post
I hope I don't come across too preachy. But, I think beer may be a problem for you. After all, it was a couple of beers, that got you to buy that bottle of whiskey. Coming to that realization may help you.

pakman
What I meant was that I had control and didn't want more beer... its completely different than liquor, one sip and the bottle is empty in no time. Either way I don't plan to drank anything with alcohol in it. Thank you !
Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I would suggest that you rethink this. Beer is how you started. It was no immediate problem, but it soon (within a few days) lead to more drinking. There was a time when I could have had a little beer and there would not be an immediate consequence. Beer proved to be both the physical and psychological fuel for continued drinking in the not too distant future.

This is a HUGE trap. Beware.
I guess I was just saying exactly how I felt.. I did go months without drinking... and was advised by a couple people actually who were also in recovery to try and see if I could do it in moderation. I started with beer and found I could drink that in moderation.. I have never drank lots of beer... but yes it did lead me to believe that I could drink liquor and be fine. Which obviously was wrong. So, with that in mind... I do not plan to drank either I am at about 18 hours as of now..

Loving this place already Great advise!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It starts with beers and ends with tears.

Hey, there's a new mantra.

So sorry to hear you had a rough go- but you are back now and all you have to do is one thing. Decide you are DONE. You never have to feel like this again, you never have to be out of control again and you can walk around with your head held high because you beat it.

Congrats on your 18 hours. Maybe join the 24 hour support thread? It's a good place for support and accountability.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

If you've slipped it's ok! Sounds like your missed and welcomed!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-05-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

For me, 1 drink is too many and a thousand is not enough. I know I can not ever have even one drink. And I have to say that I do not miss waking up in the middle of the night with anxietty attacks and guilt.

You came to the right place. We have all been there done that. Welcome!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

When I stopped trying to control it, that is when I got the moment of clarity. I can’t control it, I surrendered.

I was a whiskey drinker too. It was never the second, third or fourth drink that got me drunk. It was the first drink that got me drunk. Once I had one, it was on.

The obsession and the craving is something only another alcoholic understands.

I am glad you are here.

I tried the beer thing too. I didn’t even like beer, I just drank it because I could not get drunk on it. Like you, I went to the whiskey and of course got drunk. It took me a while to realize that I wanted to get drunk. Getting drunk was, for me, the purpose of drinking. If I could not drink the way I wanted to there was no real reason to have any. I would rather have none then only be allowed one or two. That was like torture.

I am happy now without drinking alcohol. It is possible. Hang in there!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
It took me a while to realize that I wanted to get drunk. Getting drunk was, for me, the purpose of drinking.
You got it exactly right. Only reason we alcoholics drink is to get drunk. That's why moderation doesn't work for me.