Notices

Letting go of the past

Old 09-04-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting go of the past

Okay so I am just four days into sobriety.
One of the main reasons for not wanting to stop is having to face up to the things that I have been blocking out by drinking. This is not my first attempt at stopping.
I didn't sleep all that well last night so I decided to go with it and use the time as productively as I could.
Dwelling on the past is a bad idea but I found some great articles online about letting go of the past and moving forward. I have often looked back with resentments but what was interesting last night was that:

1) I was able to see my various achievements
2) I Remembered how I felt when I was at my most content (mainly when I was starting out in adult life)
3) I amazed myself by just how varied my life has been and how much I had changed from 18 - 37
4) I tried to forgive myself for various past mistakes
5) I understood that I have lost track of my values - (this is been for both good and bad)

Therefore I realise it is time to re-evaluate and reclaim some of my past values.

Has anyone else found that this has helped change the way the think about the present and help move on without harming early recovery stages?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just to continue my last post...I suppose, in summary, I may have allowed myself to loose sight of some good plans and ideals (some of which I realise were realistic, making be content and less likely to drink) somewhere along the line. I have adopted other ideas based on more temporary and fleeting moments.
Probably due to the pursuit of 'success' in the eyes of others...and partly due to my reckless side which has always been there.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifereturning View Post
Okay so I am just four days into sobriety.
One of the main reasons for not wanting to stop is having to face up to the things that I have been blocking out by drinking. This is not my first attempt at stopping.
I didn't sleep all that well last night so I decided to go with it and use the time as productively as I could.
Dwelling on the past is a bad idea but I found some great articles online about letting go of the past and moving forward. I have often looked back with resentments but what was interesting last night was that:

1) I was able to see my various achievements
2) I Remembered how I felt when I was at my most content (mainly when I was starting out in adult life)
3) I amazed myself by just how varied my life has been and how much I had changed from 18 - 37
4) I tried to forgive myself for various past mistakes
5) I understood that I have lost track of my values - (this is been for both good and bad)

Therefore I realise it is time to re-evaluate and reclaim some of my past values.

Has anyone else found that this has helped change the way the think about the present and help move on without harming early recovery stages?
Hello LifeReturning, First, I commend you on your decision to live a new chapter in your life and to do it soberly. It seems that you have been reflecting and being introspective on your journey and how you arrived here and that is a great thing. As someone who did the same thing when I started my journey last September I will caution you of this: DON'T DWELL ON THE PAST...IT IS JUST THAT...THE PAST!!!

I'm not suggesting that it is not important, far from that, because without it you would have no reference points as to the behaviors, triggers and habits that have gotten you here. With that said, the only moments you can control are today and what you choose to do with it. That is how I approached my new chapter with dealing with the here and now and being better in the moments. You have to go to your past and treat it like a school, to learn and educate you on what worked, didn't work and what to do different. Let it not get you bitter but learn to make you "BETTER".

I have to run and will check back in with this later on today but I leave you with this post. Please check it out and read how this individual dealt with his addictions and beat them. It is a powerful example of how powerful the mind is when we choose to use it to our advantage. (See below post)

My Road to Detoxification