Notices

Did I do the right thing?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did I do the right thing?

Tonight I was walking my dog around 9pm and stopped to take a picture when I saw this little girl(she was about 3 years old) all by herself walking along the road. So I went up to her and asked her if she was ok and where were her parents. She was very quiet and didn't say anything so I asked her where she lived and she pointed to the house. I asked her if she wanted to go home and she said no but she was only 3. So we walked up to it and the door was wide open so I called into the house and nobody answered. It was kind of uncomfortable so I went to my sister in law's (she lives a few house's down) and got my brother in law to come over with me. The door was still wide open but we called in, rang the doorbell and finally some guy came up the stairs. He didn't even seem that thankful that she was back and he seemed really strung out and his finger tips were all black. Anyhow we left and now I don't know if I had done the wrong thing. I have a son that age and I would die if he was out wandering around on the street at night. In fact I don't think I would even go a minute without knowing his whereabouts. I don't know. I just came home feeling awful. Was there something else I could have done?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friend-

Try to think of what happened this way...Thank God you came along when you did!

You did an unbelievably good thing.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The thing makes me feel uncomfortable, too. Perhaps a call to the sheriff to report what happened just so there's a record of it, and so they can follow up on it. With a 3 year old child, you can't be too careful.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know Cusper...I'm not a parent but I can't think of too much more you could have done...I do take altoids point, but I know I would wonder if involving the police might have been overkill...taking the child to your place would definitely be unwise...

I think you did the best that could be done under those circumstances.

D
Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
The thing makes me feel uncomfortable, too. Perhaps a call to the sheriff to report what happened just so there's a record of it, and so they can follow up on it. With a 3 year old child, you can't be too careful.
This
Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You could make an anonymous call to the child welfare office or child protective services and they would check things out. This family might be in their radar and they may need the information for the safety of the child.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree that some kind of authority should be contacted. That child is neglected and who knows what else. You can still call child protective services. You can do it anonymously.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. I did think of saying something to child services. The whole thing seemed sketchy and it just made me incredibly sad for the little girl. I will sleep on it tonight. Again thank you. I guess after the first time I knocked I keep thinking I should have called the cops to take her home so they could make an assessment, however at the time I really didn't think the dad was going to look so creepish.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Agreed
Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Suki....If it were me, I would call child protective services immediately.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cusper View Post
Thank you for the replies. I did think of saying something to child services. The whole thing seemed sketchy and it just made me incredibly sad for the little girl. I will sleep on it tonight. Again thank you. I guess after the first time I knocked I keep thinking I should have called the cops to take her home so they could make an assessment, however at the time I really didn't think the dad was going to look so creepish.
I see your point. Kind of hard to call the cops after you've taken her home. Still a call to social services might be in order. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks but I'd let the pros figure it out.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Cusper, this is a really tough situation that you are experiencing. Good idea to sleep on it. I think you have to go with your instincts on this...caring for the vulnerable around us is one of our strongest and most basic instincts. How about looking at the situation from the perspective that Child Protective Services may be able to offer the family some resources and support that no one else is able to in the community? A significant number of us (families with kids) lack adequate support and resources...this is reality, not judgement. Try not to carry the full weight on your shoulders. Try to get some good sleep

Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think an anon. call to child services is a good idea.
There is no need for a 3yr old child to be wandering around at 9pm alone. I think your concern is justified. add to the fact, the dude was strung out.
I know for me (this is just me) ...if I found out that something happened to her down the road, I'd feel awful that I didn't at the very least make that anon. call to report what I had seen.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dude imagine if you DIDNT intervine goodness knows what could have happened!

You done the right thing!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So I called child services so they can go and check it out.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good. Peace of mind at least.
If nothing is wrong, wonderful! But at least you called so they can look into what was going on. Like someone else mentioned, maybe they are already on the radar and that was just ONE more instance of neglect? who knows.
props to you.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you for stepping up and helping the poor child. What a dangerous situation.

And, good for you for calling the authorities. I think it's important to do what we have to do in those kinds of situations, rather than just hoping someone else will look after it.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you!!! I'm so glad you were the one who found this child.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great stuff, nothing more you can do!!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Again thank you all for your time and advice. I am really happy I called. Seriously I wished I could have brought her home.