Notices

The first step is admitting your an alcoholic right?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
I know of no "alcohol enhanced" people, whether alcoholic or problem drinker, who have looked back after a period of life change and sobriety and said "wow, life was so much better when I was drinking".

I can find quizzes online that say my drinking is fine, and others that say I'm a full blown alcoholic. A lot of it has to do with whose quiz it is, and how brutally honest you are in answering the questions.

I don't need a label. My drinking affects ME and my happiness. That's enough. The grass in this case really is greener.
I know what you mean, but, for me at least, alcohol has become a bit like love. You ignore all the warning signs and our life crashing down around you and become blinkered.
Just glad I'm beginning to realise this now
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm just know willing to admit that I am... Not ready to tell everyone around me because I feel like they would give me "the look". If that makes any since.

I had a DUI last year and counseling. He told me it would not get any better but I wanted to try and moderate. Well guess what. It has only progressed. The amount, the behavior, the foolishness, the loss of relationships. I can't stand it anymore so it's time that I have to face up to the fact that I am an alcoholic. Feels weird even typing it.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drunkinnumber2 View Post
I know what you mean, but, for me at least, alcohol has become a bit like love. You ignore all the warning signs and our life crashing down around you and become blinkered.
Just glad I'm beginning to realise this now
But it's a love with a bad boyfriend. The one who texts you at inappropriate times, controls who you see, makes you pay for all the dates, makes you do things you don't want to do, and leaves you filled with regret in the morning.

Love him all you want, he's never going to treat you right
Old 09-03-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Drinking: A Love Story
Old 09-03-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drunkinnumber2 View Post
Yet I still don't fully FEEL I'm an alcoholic, even though all the online tests say i probably am.

Does anyone actually ever accept 100% they are?
I found it tough to admit. Intellectually, I knew I had a serious problem, but deep down inside a part of me still believed I could figure out a way to control my drinking and not suffer any consequences.

Unfortunately, after literately hundreds of attempts and hundreds of failures, I realized it was impossible for me to just have a few drinks. I finally just gave in and said enough. I accepted that drinking was no longer an option. However, I don't label myself, rather I just see myself a person who no longer drinks.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Healthy way of looking at it, FeenixxR.

I just don't drink. How simple is that?
Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi I'm sober wolf I am an alcoholic
Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
HA!
I was just going to say someone needs to read this book ASAP.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I accepted that drinking was no longer an option. However, I don't label myself, rather I just see myself a person who no longer drinks.
I have found this is working for me as well. I just don't drink.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Maybe a more politically correct term could be "alcohol challenged". Doesn't matter I realized I had a problem years ago and did nothing about it. Quit a few times but always ended up relapsing and drinking more. My near death experience changed all of that and I hope you don't let it get to that point.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Rebuilding Yourself is scary stuff but you did not get sick in a day and you aren't going to get better in one either. One thing I like about AA is it comes with a blueprint for living and people to use as role models.

Everything is dependent on your sobriety. Take it take a day at time and each day will get a little better
Old 09-03-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

at one time I compared my drunkard self to others. I wasn't known around town as a drunk. I never got arrested. Never had rehab. Never went to AA (only because of my own internal shame of having others see me, I'm still getting up the nerve to try it a few times, just to see what it truly is) . I have never taken any meds for anything to do with mental health. I never did a lot of the things many have. BUT, I'm no less a drunk (I prefer that word over alcoholic, but I'll use either) I was luckier, I had certain limitations (which I am thrilled to have had) otherwise, I very easily could've been a fallen down homeless drunken middle aged woman. SO I'm no better. In fact, I have the utmost respect for all of my fellow alcoholics who have come from such a place that they are now living sober and successful lives. ITS truly amazing and they inspire me to try things I was afraid to try. Just knowing there are other people who think like me, who are me with a different outside packaging is so comforting.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

morning everyone

sorry i disappeared last night unfortunately work has to happen to make the world go round :S
Old 09-04-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
I'm just know willing to admit that I am... Not ready to tell everyone around me because I feel like they would give me "the look". If that makes any since.

I had a DUI last year and counseling. He told me it would not get any better but I wanted to try and moderate. Well guess what. It has only progressed. The amount, the behavior, the foolishness, the loss of relationships. I can't stand it anymore so it's time that I have to face up to the fact that I am an alcoholic. Feels weird even typing it.
I know how you feel, but with my friends it's the polaric opposite. If you say in my social circle you don't drink you are eyed with suspicion and carefully moved away from like you are an alien!
I think the only advice i can give you is the advice that has been given to me yesterday
The only way is to stop! x
Sofia x
Old 09-04-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
But it's a love with a bad boyfriend. The one who texts you at inappropriate times, controls who you see, makes you pay for all the dates, makes you do things you don't want to do, and leaves you filled with regret in the morning.

Love him all you want, he's never going to treat you right
Sounds like just about every boyfriend I've actually had!!! think were finding one of the root causes here people? lol x
Old 09-04-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I never really use the term "alcoholic" although I am the textbook/cliche/token alcoholic. Drinking was causing huge problems in my life. That's what made me stop. I knew it was a problem for a few years before I stopped.

It took me many years and a lot of torture to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink and that hasn't swayed, but I will admit that the idea of "forever" still baffles me. I recommend staying in the day. I will not drink today.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I found it tough to admit. Intellectually, I knew I had a serious problem, but deep down inside a part of me still believed I could figure out a way to control my drinking and not suffer any consequences.

Unfortunately, after literately hundreds of attempts and hundreds of failures, I realized it was impossible for me to just have a few drinks. I finally just gave in and said enough. I accepted that drinking was no longer an option. However, I don't label myself, rather I just see myself a person who no longer drinks.
I don't speak for you of course, but for me it's a pride thing, i left home at 14, i've never needed anyone for anything. I have been strong, i have succeeded and created a very successful life for myself where classmates who has mummy and daddy and went to uni haven't... i can do anything i set my mind to....
... except stop drinking before i black out

its hard to believe i little bottle can wield such power, huh? x
Old 09-04-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Hi I'm sober wolf I am an alcoholic
hi soberwolf x
Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostdad View Post
Maybe a more politically correct term could be "alcohol challenged". Doesn't matter I realized I had a problem years ago and did nothing about it. Quit a few times but always ended up relapsing and drinking more. My near death experience changed all of that and I hope you don't let it get to that point.
so do i, i really feel a commitment this time, I think I've always been a happy drunk, been open and honest about it. toward the end of this binge i actually found myself hiding booze and being depressed.... i think once that comes into play its time to put the breaks on everything