SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I feel so unhealthy :-( (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/343928-i-feel-so-unhealthy.html)

Belle124 09-03-2014 07:56 AM

I feel so unhealthy :-(

Maybe I was expecting miracles but since giving up alcohol I've felt so unhealthy.

I'm bloated, my skin is both greasy and very dry, I'm so tried I could sleep for a week and just generally feel very down.

I take vitamins and don't usually suffer at all from skin issues apart from it being very sensitive.

It's day 13 for me, is this normal please? Thanks.

Jupiters 09-03-2014 08:03 AM

congrats on Day 13 :) that is awesome!!!

I'd say what you are going through is normal. Your body is getting rid of all the crap!
My hair was so brittle I could snap it in half. Skin was horrible as all the toxins flushed out.
It will pass :) Just think of all the years you were poisoning it, it won't fix itself in a week or 2.
as for the energy - LOL I'm at day 116 and still have days where brushing my teeth is all I can muster. Everyone is different in recovery.
I do take a B Multi vitamin - eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly to help.
hang in!

MariahGayle 09-03-2014 08:04 AM

Hi Belle - Give yourself time & be kind to yourself:) If you can will yourself to get some exercise, even just some light walking, it really helps with the energy level. Fabulous on 13 days!!

sharpdistance 09-03-2014 08:10 AM

Congratulations on day 13! I'm 5 days ahead of you! :c011: I've noticed I get very tired at night! I used to stay up until 12am or so every night and get up at 7, not I'm starting to doze on the couch at around 9. At the same time though, I've felt better exercising and have had more stamina to go on long walks. I think everyone is different. You might want to see a doctor if you continue to feel off. There are a lot of things that can cause your symptoms from detox to a vitamin deficiency to an illness.

Mangoes 09-03-2014 08:12 AM

Normal. It takes time for a body to heal.
I'm also going to assume you're female. Hormone balance related to estrogen is mediated in the liver, as is alcohol metabolism. Excessive drinking (and stopping drinking after a period of excessive drinking) can throw hormones out of balance for a while. Female hormones play a big role in skin condition. Think getting zits right before your period.

Aside from this, stress hormones and sugar balance can be a little off when you stop drinking. You're changing the whole way your body understands things will be.

Rest well, exercise, eat clean and highly nutritious foods, hydrate well. Sometimes peoples diets go a little off the rails after stopping drinking, as their bodies crave sugar that normally comes from alcohol.

Congratulations on nearly two weeks! Just be kind to yourself. This will pass and you will feel amazing.

JD4010 09-03-2014 08:19 AM

Ya. I'm feeling like utter crap today. Day 3 since I went on my last bender. I have no stamina and my digestive system is all messed up. My head feels like a hollow log.

I started taking B-complex vitamins yesterday. I sure hope that helps.

During my last period of sobriety (6 months!) I was feeling pretty good again. But I stupidly succumbed and now I'm back at bottom of the ravine.

Hobbers 09-03-2014 08:29 AM

24 days in, and my skin is terrible (my back, of all things, especially). I actually found I didn't feel tremendously more healthy the first time I tried this (a hair over 4 months sober) either, at least in the mornings. However, I did NOT have the intense, wretched guilt every day. That means something to me.

Good luck. It does, truly, get better.

JD4010 09-03-2014 08:31 AM

My skin is terrible as well. Very oily. A guy at age 55 shouldn't be experiencing acne, but I am. WTF?

jezza 09-03-2014 08:47 AM

Yeah... going through the same here!! just over a month & today I feel awful!! Eyes stinging, fatigue & having the odd funny turn!! It will pass.... I hope!!!

MIRecovery 09-03-2014 08:56 AM

I think just about anything is normal in early sobriety. We poison ourselves for years and expect things to return to normal in a few days. The body can repair itself but it takes time

PurpleKnight 09-03-2014 09:09 AM

The body can't heal years of drinking in a matter of weeks!!

It needs to do it's thing, but needs time to do it!!

Hang in there!! :)

FreeOwl 09-03-2014 09:13 AM

Totally normal!

Day 13, congratulations!

Here's the thing; you've been medicating your body and your mind.

What you're going to experience is a 'rebalancing' period and that is going to mess with you - physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. This does taper off and eventually begins to head nowhere but UP.

Along the way, be patient with yourself and remind yourself every day that it took a long time for your body and mind and emotions and mental processes and sense of self to become pickled in booze..... so it's also going to take time for all of that to cleanse and become healthy again.

You can help out the process by focusing on very good, healthy nutrition, water intake, cleansing teas, exercise, meditation and spiritually-nourishing pursuits.

Hang in there, this is just the beginning. It's a struggle at first but it becomes AWESOME.

Jupiters 09-03-2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JD4010 (Post 4876434)
My skin is terrible as well. Very oily. A guy at age 55 shouldn't be experiencing acne, but I am. WTF?

I'm having the breakout of all breakouts right now. Almost 38 yrs old (Dec.)
and a bit over 3 months sober. I thought this would have happened a couple months ago.
I have never had the amount of red, oily zits as I do now :(
I am hoping it's just a phase! LOL

Mangoes 09-03-2014 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiters (Post 4876607)
I'm having the breakout of all breakouts right now. Almost 38 yrs old (Dec.)
and a bit over 3 months sober. I thought this would have happened a couple months ago.
I have never had the amount of red, oily zits as I do now :(
I am hoping it's just a phase! LOL

Maybe we can all consider it puberty for our new selves?

Jupiters 09-03-2014 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mangoes (Post 4876632)
Maybe we can all consider it puberty for our new selves?

that's what I said to my BF! LOL

matt4x4 09-03-2014 10:07 AM

Feelings run most of our lives if not all our lives. The way we feel creates the way we think.

Soberwolf 09-03-2014 10:10 AM

Hang in there 13 days is amazing the body gets better with time

FreeOwl 09-03-2014 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by matt4x4 (Post 4876661)
Feelings run most of our lives if not all our lives. The way we feel creates the way we think.

nope....

it's the other way 'round.

Lola23 09-03-2014 10:19 AM

I am around 20ish days...and I go in waves. The last week or so, I've been REALLY tired...sleeping 8-10 hours/night! I feel so much better when I wake up though compared to when I was drinking...I just thought I would have MORE energy, not less. Who knows, I assume its just part of it. And in the meantime, now that I'm a little more used to it, I've actually been enjoying all the sleep.

ghostdad 09-03-2014 11:24 AM

50 days sober and I have zits!!! Haven't had those since high school. Skin is really dry - I actually have a bottle of skin cream next to my recliner when I am watching TV. Now I am hydrating and re-living my puberty. :gaah