Notices

scared

Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared

Hi, suzie here again... I think i may have a problem but i am scared to imagine my life without alcohol. Why is it so scary??
Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's scary because it's different from what we know, and our addiction is strong. What your addition doesn't tell you is that there is really nothing to be scared of, just about every part of you life will be better without alcohol. What's really scary is what happens to alcoholics that keep drinking.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One day at a time, as cliché as that sounds...it really IS the best advice. (Not just in regards to drinking either)....
I find if I focus on "forever", it's too much. At least right now it is.
I can tell you (from my experience)...that with each day/weekend/holiday/function ...sober...it isn't so scary. You start to enjoy these things without the booze/regret/guilt/etc.
Your brain starts to realize that "hey! this isn't so bad at all...in fact, it's pretty freakin' awesome"

hang in there
Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As an alcoholic, I used it to numb all my thoughts and emotions.

I never had to deal with anxiety - drink.
I didn't have to worry - drink.
If someone upset my apple cart - drink.
If there was no one around to talk to - drink.
If I had no plans for the day/weekend/holiday - drink.
If I had a physical pain - drink.

As an addict, I just drank. Sadly the drink had me. Once I stopped, all my emotions leveled out; I was able to deal with my life - past, present, and future.

Some people think of alcohol as a friend and I guess it does become so much a part of life that it may feel like a friend.

A friend that is trying to kill me.

It's much better living sober. Please give it a try! Welcome to the forums!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your life without alcohol will look surprisingly a lot like it does now - usually minus things like guilt, shame, lying, and covering up. You won't be spending money on alcohol. Your relationships will likely improve. You may lose some people in your life, but they are usually the ones who are toxic relationships to start with.
You certainly won't have hangovers any more, and your health will likely improve. You will have more time and freedom to do things that you enjoy.
It's normal to feel scared of the unknown. As an alcoholic, the bottle has become a trusted friend. But sometimes, you have to leave friends behind if they make you sick, physically, spiritually, or mentally.
As the others have said, Don't focus on your entire life without booze. Try today on for size. And tomorrow. Then the next day. You'll soon find that you can look to the future with clearer eyes.
For now, focus on getting through today. Let the future fall into place when the time comes.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with the one day at a time!!! It's to overwhelming to think about the future
Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Originally Posted by SuzieG View Post
Hi, suzie here again... I think i may have a problem but i am scared to imagine my life without alcohol. Why is it so scary??
It doesn't make sense that it would be scary, that's why you ask. Fear of life without alcohol is illogical, irrational.

That's how addiction works. There's no logical reason to drink, just emotional ones. First we drank because it made us feel happy, then we drank because we were afraid not to drink. That is addicition. I know it all too well.

There's a way out of that prison. Break your addiction. You can do this.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Good Morning SusieG,

Fear is often created by the creative mind. The creative mind is able to conjure up all kinds of scenarios, both good & bad. For me, I do my best to steer the creative mind towards the positive by creating lists and reading. A list of all the negatives alcohol brings to my life and the lives of others. A list of all the things I could be if I gave up alcohol. A list of those who benefit by my sobriety. Books and articles that define alcoholism for what it is and how to overcome the dysfunctional relationships that come out of dependency on alcohol.

Fear stems from the unknown. Now that you're a member of SR you have everything you need to educate yourself.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had to take a leap of faith into the unknown, and that can be scary, but we've all been there, alcohol has been ingrained in our lives, so it's going to be a learning curve to live without it!!

But if alcohol is affecting your life, continuing to drink simply through fear is not a great way forward!!

You can do this!!