Notices

Work-Play-Sleep

Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work-Play-Sleep

Day 2 and just really tired, didn’t sleep well at all and the day is just been hard, I hope this means I’ll sleep better tonight. I did get some chamomile tea to help me relax tonight.

This year, I have had so many starts at sobriety, never making it past day 4 or a few day 6’s, but I am really going to try this time, I wanted to post so I could go back and read what I was feeling and thinking on day2.

The one thing I will miss the most is the way the day was split into 3rds, I usually wake up and go to work for approximately 8 hours, then drink for approximately 8 hours then sleep for approximately 8 hours.

I know I will wake up feeling better, work better with a clearer mind, it is the after work activity’s while sober that is the hardest, it’s the only time of the day I really crave, although I often think about drinking or ‘plan’ my drinking throughout the day.

It’s that time now, the transition, and the thought of a few drinks and how they could make this lousy feeling disappear. Except there is no feeling of transition, it’s like I am missing 33% of something.

I think I might need a new ways to play and do normal activities were I used to drink.

I am chewing natural unsalted almonds, taking one a day vitamins and trying to eat well, and staying close to this site, good luck to you all on this journey.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on your day2,

Filling this 8 hour period with healthy play is key. New activities really helps, or old ones that we bring back.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 2
Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stiv

I'd expect to feel lousing and craving all day on day 2 so you're well ahead of the curve in my opinion

Why not vary your after work routine a little...make it a little fresh and new...iif you generally sit around get up and do things...if you generally watch TV go out and gdo something else?

think about other ways to unwind - exercise, hobbies, hot baths, meditiation, a good book?

D
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I got in from work today I went straight on a bike ride, then cooked a nice meal when I got in and read some of my book.

It is now nearly 11pm and I haven't had chance to think about alcohol!

Just a thought

Day 2 will always be tough though, stick at it!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses everyone, good ideas, I need a new routine for sure, it's only a little after 6PM here, right in the tough part but I'm doing OK.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
birddog

Congratulations on day 2. I am on day 4. I am a lot like you. I have tried to quit many times before and I really want it now. I used to plan my entire week around 1 night of binge drinking. Last Thursday was a doozie and that is why I am here today. Since it is Tuesday, the hangover, fog, guilt and shame are little more than a memory. I am starting to feel good and healthy which means I am starting to crave. Normally, I would be counting the days and hours to Thursday, my binge day, but I am focusing on other things at the moment. I had to laugh at myself today because I could not believe I had the nerve to have a craving today. We are in for a long, interesting and exciting journey. Heading to yoga now. Congratulations again. P.S. I was told once that cravings are a part of the process so I just have to deal with them. I remembered that today, I just said to myself it's a part of the process and not a good reason to cave to the crave.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Like any habit, it takes time to make and time to break.

The thoughts are just thoughts. None of us need to drink. There is plenty to do without it - how about all the stuff that got put off when I was drinking? Now there's time to do it.

I also ate a lot in the first few weeks. It is said that when I really am craving to HALT. Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired? If any of these are "yes" then I know what to do. Ice cream and sugary stuff are good during the early days, alcohol is a sugar, so the brain/body craves when the alcohol is taken away. I had a lot of Dove's dark chocolate in the first month.

mmm ice cream.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wonder what might happen if you tried continuing to break your day into thirds...

but rather than drink for 8 hours, maybe go for a walk for one hour, read a book for one hour, take a nice relaxing hot shower for one hour, visit SR for one hour, journal for one hour, go to bed early and lie in quiet reflection / meditation for one hour...

Then rise earlier than normal and stretch and set intention for the day for one hour, read SR for half hour, relax for half hour....

If you did this - you'd replace 8 hours of drinking with 8 hours of self-care and nourishing, sobriety-supporting activity that you might find incredibly rewarding.

Seems like it'd be worth a try.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m glad I came back here again, 8 PM, really hard now…

Thanks for the replies, they do help, the AV is working overtime, this thought is the strongest “it’s only been a couple days, you can start again tomorrow”.

birddog406 “I was told once that cravings are a part of the process so I just have to deal with them.” This makes since.

biminiblue “Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired?” All of the above, hungry because my wife worked late, angry because I can’t drink and lonely because none of the family understands this and very tiered because I haven’t slept very well.

FreeOwl “go to bed early and lie in quiet reflection”, “Then rise earlier than normal and stretch and set intention for the day for one hour, read SR for half hour, relax for half hour....” I like the sound of this.

Thanks again everyone, including the posts I didn’t quote, they all have helped.

I am going to eat dinner and then rest.