SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello Newbie (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/343838-hello-newbie.html)

colsta 09-02-2014 09:46 AM

Hello Newbie

Hey all,
Just joined today, and have decided today, that last night was my last night drinking.
I am a binge drinking alcoholic.
Last night I downed a bottle of wine and would have drunk more if I had it.
Drank it in about 45 mins. And like I said would have drunk more If I had it. Also there was the problem that my wife is still a little pissed from Friday night, when I had 6 bottles of cider, and a bottle of wine, was up until 4 am netflixing breaking bad, so was not at all with it Saturday morning for our daughters Water Polo game.
This after the Weds previous where I was up until 2.30 am and downed 2 bottles of wine slept on the couch.
So there is a problem here and I need to kick the booze.
I come from UK where I think we have a different relationship with alcohol where as it is more acceptable to go out and get pissed from an early age maybe. I have been drinking since I was 18 with regularity. I come from a Catholic Irish Family, my dad died from drinking, so it was pretty much in line for me to get a dose of this problem.
Anywhoo I need to kick it I have tried before and failed, so I thought I would join this support network and see if it makes a difference. I hope it does, I am know there are a lot of you out there are wiser than me about this process so it will be good to have somewhere to come to for help.
The good news is I don't drink every day of even want to, but I do 2-3 times a week. And there have been times in the past where I drank more often than that.
So hello everyone any advice welcome and wish me luck.

Good luck to everyone else on the same path.

Alynn 09-02-2014 09:54 AM

I'm on the same path. On day 2.. I "slowed down" last year after a DUI but can't handle any at all.. I went on a horrible binge over the weekend and missed out on alot of time with family I rarely see. I looked in their faces and could see how horrible I was. I can't anymore! There is a better way to live for us. Lets not go back! SR has helped so much so far.

PurpleKnight 09-02-2014 09:56 AM

Welcome to the Forum colsta!! :wave:

You'll find loads of support here on SR, I tried quitting on my own without any support and that didn't work either, my mind could convince me of anything on my own, but what I needed was something outside of myself to short circuit my thoughts!!

You can do this!! Great to have you onboard!! :)

colsta 09-02-2014 10:05 AM

Yeah am looking forward to the like minded support, people who know what boat I am in.
I can not really talk to my wife about it because she does not fully understand it. Which is a good thing because she is not addicted like I am.
If I tell her I am giving up, I just get a that's good baby, and a yeah I'll believe it when I see it look in her eye. Because I have said It umteenth times before. I already feel more positive about it this time.

biminiblue 09-02-2014 10:14 AM

Good for you for stopping!

In the beginning it was really helpful for me to remember "one day at a time" and "don't pick up that first drink."

You will have difficult times - but break the cycle. That's what we all have to do.

Soberwolf 09-02-2014 12:34 PM

Hello welcome if your after sobriety you have come to the right place

You can do this

Hevyn 09-02-2014 12:36 PM

It's great to meet you colsta - you're in good company! :)

least 09-02-2014 01:08 PM

Welcome to the family from a fellow Buckeye. :)

Dee74 09-02-2014 02:46 PM

Welcome Colsta :)

there's a lot of us here from the UK or descended from the UK (I'm Australian). Learned culture or not, it's never to late to choose another way to live :)

Glad you found us :)

D

dSober 09-02-2014 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by colsta (Post 4874604)
So hello everyone any advice welcome

Hedge your bet:

GREATER CINCINNATI MEETINGS

colsta 09-02-2014 03:56 PM

Thank you all for your warm wel
comes, I appreciate it.

heath480 09-02-2014 04:00 PM

Welcome to SR colsta.

HeartsAfire 09-02-2014 04:16 PM

Welcome. Glad you found us!

Tonymblue 09-02-2014 04:41 PM

Welcome. Lots of support here. Glad you decided to quit. Youre not drinking everyday. Thats a plus. You can do it. I tried to quit so many times by myself never worked. The people here really help. Its therapeutic to get stuff off your chest that people can understand.

colsta 09-02-2014 09:37 PM

Day 1 done and dusted

Day 1 completed successfully, no drink and did not want one to be honest.
I work 2nd shift at the moment, and it is sometimes to hard to resist the urge to stop at the gas station on the way home and pick up a 6 pack or wine or what ever.
Did not have that urge today.
Friday is always a hard day, I tell my self no work tomorrow so I deserve to have a tipple.
Really I deserve not to have a tipple as it is not going to do me any good.
The urge will return I know, and that is when I will be tested.
I am happy to be 1 day sober for now.

sprout50 09-03-2014 04:06 AM

Welcome! Glad you are here and when you feel that urge, just come here and post.

Thirdtime 09-03-2014 04:19 AM

Costa, thanks for posting this. I too am a binge drinker, but with much more frequency. Maybe 5 days a week and a couple of nights off if I'm lucky.

On day 4 here. The absolutely powerful thing to me about this thing I have called alcoholism is the cunning and progressive way it works. I have one beer, it's going to be 15....or, whatever is left in the house. Something else takes over and my rationale self is no longer in control. It is scary. And, for me at least, if I continue to drink, I will die. Maybe not immediately physically, but emotionally I can feel my soul and spirit being eroded by it.

I am truly powerless.

Welcome to this board. I have many false starts and slips. But, I have to do it this time. We can do this.

Good luck to you. You can do this!!!

colsta 09-03-2014 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Thirdtime (Post 4875959)
Costa, thanks for posting this. I too am a binge drinker, but with much more frequency. Maybe 5 days a week and a couple of nights off if I'm lucky.

On day 4 here. The absolutely powerful thing to me about this thing I have called alcoholism is the cunning and progressive way it works. I have one beer, it's going to be 15....or, whatever is left in the house. Something else takes over and my rationale self is no longer in control. It is scary. And, for me at least, if I continue to drink, I will die. Maybe not immediately physically, but emotionally I can feel my soul and spirit being eroded by it.

I am truly powerless.

Welcome to this board. I have many false starts and slips. But, I have to do it this time. We can do this.

Good luck to you. You can do this!!!

Hey Thirdtime,
Congrats on to being on day 4.
I totally understand what you mean by the way it takes over, after 1 drink.
I am the same, If I have 1, I am going to have 7,8,9. then a bottle of wine if it is handy.
There something that takes over, and kicks all rationale thinking out the window.
I can't tell you the amount of times I have uttered the words after a binge, that's it, no more, and I have meant it at the time. Feeling like crap with a hangover, that is easy to say.
Then a day or 2 later once I am over the hangover and maybe feeling somewhat positive, have another drink, and bang the cycle begins again.
I am so fed up with drinking, I know what my life is like with drink, I have drunk for so long.
Its not all **** because I have a family who I love and adore me.
I am ready to try life without drink and see how that feels.
Actually feel again.
I have committed myself to 60 days to begin with.
This is only because 60 days feels a lot more doable right now in my head. I want to kick it permanently. But I am going to start with 60 days.

SuzieG 09-03-2014 06:38 AM

Hi and welcome. We are new together.

colsta 09-03-2014 03:22 PM

Having a crap day today, have been disorganized, forgot lots of things today, and feelimg blahh. I know5i am going to feel like a drink later on the way home from work. Good thing one of the things I forgot was my wallet.
Does anyone else feel very defensive I know I am a lot. Not sure if that's an alcohol thing. Or a character
Trait. I am very very defensive after a binge.