Aa

Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done you !
Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsweetpea View Post

I attended my first meeting a few hours ago and am so glad that I did.
AA brings great hope to many seeking long term sobriety

welcome

MM
Old 09-02-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I suggest calling someone now, when you don't need to just so that when you do need to you aren't too afraid to make that call!
I agree. You should call someone as soon as you can. It's important to make those connections as soon as possible. It will make it much easier on those days when you are struggling.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hope your honest with your counsellor, most alcoholics lie to the bitter end. Its a pricey ordeal!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I agree. You should call someone as soon as you can. It's important to make those connections as soon as possible. It will make it much easier on those days when you are struggling.
I will pipe up along with Sugarbear and 2much. In an early meeting I shared about a struggle where I was really fighting a craving. I shared that although knowing I "should" either post on SR or call someone...I chose not to. I wasn't "feeling" it. I did housework and "luckily" got on through without caving to the drink.

After the meeting, an old timer sidled on up beside me and asked if he could "give me a suggestion". He told me to call one of my numbers and relay pretty much what I did in my share. Tell them I thought of calling ..but didn't. He said I should do it as "practice". When the old timer said this...I had 1) braced myself as soon as he told me he felt the need to advise me of anything (I struggle with unsolicited advice...badly) 2) Thought the idea was stupid.

Until I impulsively did it...2 days later.

It was a good suggestion. Glad I took it. It's hard for "us" to reach out. And AA knows it. It's in the very definition of our affliction I believe.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A quick update. I attended my 2nd AA meeting yesterday and made plans to meet up with a couple of super nice ladies this morning for another meeting. As scary as it is to throw myself into all of this human interaction after years and years of isolating I have to say I've been greeted with nothing but compassion and understanding. Thanks to all of you on SA for your continuing advice and encouragement.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

A quick update. I attended my 2nd AA meeting yesterday and made plans to meet up with a couple of super nice ladies this morning for another meeting. As scary as it is to throw myself into all of this human interaction after years and years of isolating I have to say I've been greeted with nothing but compassion and understanding. Thanks to all of you on SA for your continuing advice and encouragement.
So happy for you well done keep posting your experiences

Yay for you
Old 09-04-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Smile

I think that took a lot of guts to put yourself out there and take a chance. I've been there myself and still struggle with this. You should be very proud of yourself. Looks like your starting a new chapter in your life!!!!!! Picture me smiling for you right now.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Fantastic stuff!!