Notices

This is the day I declare myself a Human Being

Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
birddog

This is the day I declare myself a Human Being

The fog is gone. Yay!! Today I plan to live like an actual human being - the kind of person who participates in life. Normally, I would be feeling sorry for myself and just lie around wishing I had the things that other people have or could do the things that other people do (I have OCD which prohibits me from driving on highways). But today I am going for breakfast, taking my dog to the park, I am going to go for a run and maybe head into a cute little town that I do not have to take a highway to. Maybe this will lead to the type of life that other people have or appear to have. I think my dog knows this is a special day, she seems a little restless and not willing to put up with my normal behavior.

I can't get into the 24 hour link, so I will say it here...I am in for another 24.

Love to all,

Anne
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it Anne. It feels good to feel good. Enjoy your day!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there anne. Make that 24 hr mark. Remember thats the hardest. The rest will come. Ill be on and off all of today. Ill be watching for your posts. Keep us informed.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome, hang in there birddog
Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done birddog
Old 09-01-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JJ9

What a great post! That brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you! Enjoy your day. You are awesome!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel! I am in my 40's and I feel like I have to learn how to be a social human being again and figure out exactly who I am and what my place is.

Alcohol has taken so much from me and all I got for it was a big belly. LOL.

My dog has definitely been loving it since I stopped drinking. Daily hikes and lots of play time!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay! Let us know how you're doing!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey come on over to 24 -- http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-13-a-5.html

You'll be on the list tonight but I only go around chasing down lost members on holidays
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Yay! Congrats on your decision!

You have always been a human being - in a body that is prone to illness like the rest of us. Addiction doesn't make you less human. If anything, it's a reminder of that human-ness and all it's frailty.

Carpe diem! I wish you the best in your coming out party!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Anne,

Glad to read you're doing well! Park, run and discovering cute little villages sounds like an excellent day.

I'm sure there's also a lot of "actual human beings" who just spent their day on the sofa. So you're already better than that!

Rock on!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think your post and attitude is very inspiring!

Good luck to you!

Old 09-01-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
birddog

Thanks to all of you!! It is 5:25 PM ET (US) and I just got back from being out all day. I made my bed this morning, which is a very good sign. I typically don't make my bed on weekends or holidays because I know that I am going to end up right back in it - but not today, no sir. My sister always makes her bed when she gets up and she has a great life, so I am going to do the things that the people I admire do. I got a bagel and coffee and took my dog, Cotton, to the park. I ate my breakfast while I played fetch with Cotton, and I also read posts on the SR APP. I came home read some of the book I started then headed out for a run. After that I went to a nursery to buy mums then went food shopping. Just got back from a walk with my dog. I did not make it to the little town, but that is ok. I am learning that I need to stop mopping around on my sober days, just waiting for Thursday, my binge day to roll around. My recovery is about no longer binging AND get busy living. Thank you everyone.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One word. Inspiritational.

Thanks for posting your story.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

let me know if there's any threads you can't get into birddog

D
Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Quitting booze certainly made me feel like I rejoined the human race. Sobriety is freedom to do the things we want, to be the person we want to be. Enjoy!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post birddog. I made the decision yesterday to stop drinking for good and to be much more of an active participant in my life, and in my recovery not only from alcoholism, but from OCD (I too have it).

Both things have affected my life immensely, and I am ready to start truly living - and not just functioning.

I have made a commitment to staying sober, and at the same time, really getting a hold of my OCD and utilizing the tools I have found make the most sense to me in battling and overcoming it.

As I am sure you are well aware, OCD can be horrifying. But I truly feel it can be overcome to the point where it sits far in the background instead of loud in the forefront. My goal is to get to that point to where it doesn't intrude into my daily life all the time, but instead just floats by me without even really noticing its there.

Congrats to you for taking charge of your day and doing so many healthy things! That is really important. Keep it up!

I tried to do many healthy things today too. I got a good night's sleep last night. Ate a healthy breakfast. Had a productive day at work. Tried to motivate and educate some new employees. Drank my favorite green tea. Came home and went for 1 1/2 hour walk. Had a nice dinner. Have been posting on SR for a while, and soon will have a good night's rest. And most of all, I didn't drink! It feels good to know that I will go to bed sober and to not have to worry about waking up with a hangover tomorrow.

Anyways, thank you again for your insight.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
birddog

Sublimeani, OCD can live in the background, I have experienced that but it comes back from time to time and right now I am struggling with driving. It was triggered by a divorce and selling my house in a down market (I felt like a lost my house in a poker game and it took a real toll on me). Drinking is very bad for OCD, so this is a step in the right direction. Sounds like you had an awesome day, congratulations!! We can do this.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great day!!! Go enjoy it!!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great stuff!!