Notices

Eight Months Down the Drain

Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hopefully the only thing that went down the drain was the alcohol. 8 months is an accomplishment and you should be proud. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all struggle with this one way or the other. Next time you feel you can handle just a few drinks and your mind starts obsessing over it get on this site immediately - we will help you get through it. Oh and by the way please let me know what normal is - I haven't achieve that yet.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

8 months is a huge accomplishment. Just start again.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Not down the drain at all. It took me 7 years of relapses but now I feel great. I don't even know exactly what day I stopped drinking and I don't care. I just know I don't want to now.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Get right back after it. 8 months is great. Heck, i havent had that in 25 years. I hated my relapse last month. I thought i could drink normally. I did for a week. Then bam, 24/7 vodka. I felt like i fail everyone on sr. But lets keep on keepin on.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your replies and encouragement. I'm in tears with all the support. I need to lost more and be more active, stop lurking. I need to be more active in my recovery and I see now how I was getting too comfortable and. I have to be aware of all the signs that I was ready to pick right up where I left off drinking wise. And yes, there are a ton of different definitions of normal, I guess this morning what I was feeling was so much shame and guilt and disgust (still feeling it). People that don't have issues with alcohol don't feel that way when they wake up after a night of drinking. I need to continually remind myself of how I feel right now and how I don't ever want to feel this way again. Thank you guys so much. Finally just showered and trying to pull myself back together and rehydrate.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
You can't change the past. You can change today, right now, and move forward.
For me, I don't like that people feel the need to start on day 1 again after "slipping". When I run a marathon and fall at mile 4, they don't make me start back at the beginning again. I pick, myself, dust myself off, lick my wounds for a moment, and keep moving forward. I still made it to mile 4. I just need to figure out how to not trip again so I can continue to move forward steadily, rather than tripping on my feet and getting injured again.

Forgive yourself. You woke up human, not a god. Mistakes happen - it's what you do with them. You have 8 months sober... Something that many people have trouble achieving. That doesn't go away because you drank. But the next 8 months or 8 years don't happen if you don't brush yourself off and keep moving forward.
This was incredibly good advice.

You haven't thrown away 8 months. Sounds to me like you've learned a lot!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

8 months is great --- you can do this, just get back up and commit
Old 09-01-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think many of us hope we'll be happy once sober. Sobriety doesn't magically make us happier, but it does help us make decisions that lead to a happier life.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Indenial618 View Post

Now I'm back to square one.
no better place to start over

shoot for 8 months and one day

that's what I did when I came back

MM
Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aborkie View Post
Eight months sober is better than eight months drinking. It wasn't wasted.
That advice was fantastic
Old 09-01-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I suffer from horrible anxiety and a,though it was getting better I thought quitting drinking would magically cure it. Now I'm back to square one.
I think a bout of anxiety falls many a sobriety. I barely eeked my way through a bad patch of it the week before last. Alcohol kept popping up day after day as a cure for my head. I just wanted to "check out" awhile. I worked a bit harder at a new mediation app on my phone (I am finally on session 10 of the 10-day intro...er um..3 weeks later). I got on through ..but there were moments I just as easily couldn't have. I kept seeking out anything to ease what was ailing me. In the absence of alcohol..I ate food, I called friends, I posted on SR, I went for walks...despite doing all these things..and temporary relief in the food, the phonecalls, the walks..it would return and nip at my heels each day..

It DID pass...but it was a rough week. In the end I realized, I just have to learn new ways to deal with difficult things. And contrary to what our addiction tells us...there isn't an easy answer waiting to be uncorked. Sometimes things just suck for awhile.

Sometimes our heads are blue skies...sometimes our heads are socked in with overcast grey for days...but the weather changes...

Get up and just get back on the horse. Lesson learned. You fell for the BS illusion..big deal. Shake it off.

Chop wood...carry water.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

you didn't throw away 8 months. You had 8 GOOD months. You threw away a few weeks.

what you got in return for those three weeks thrown away was a lesson in how good those 8 months were.

Pick up where you left off with a greater resolve and a newly-energized plan.

Thank you for helping me stay sober today.

I'm at over 8 months and plagued by lots of fleeting romanticized ideas of being able to have a drink 'just every now and again' someday.

Your post reminded me that it's not worth it.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

If you're not going to meetings Indenial, I strongly suggest you start.

Alcoholics Anonymous : Find Local A.A.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you all so much for your replies and encouragement. I'm in tears with all the support. I need to lost more and be more active, stop lurking. I need to be more active in my recovery and I see now how I was getting too comfortable and. I have to be aware of all the signs that I was ready to pick right up where I left off drinking wise. And yes, there are a ton of different definitions of normal, I guess this morning what I was feeling was so much shame and guilt and disgust (still feeling it). People that don't have issues with alcohol don't feel that way when they wake up after a night of drinking. I need to continually remind myself of how I feel right now and how I don't ever want to feel this way again. Thank you guys so much. Finally just showered and trying to pull myself back together and rehydrate.
Welcome back ID. Sounds like some great ideas to follow up there

D
Old 09-01-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
If you're not going to meetings Indenial, I strongly suggest you start.

Alcoholics Anonymous : Find Local A.A.
I agree!

It sure did help me along the way.

Still a great support from time to time.