Notices

10 days on holiday!

Old 08-31-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 10 days on holiday!

Hi folks, I go away Wednesday for ten days with my partner and friends and I just wanted to ask how you all coped with your first holiday in a different country ?

To say I am nervous is an understatement.

Good news is I have a supporting partner and I know when I tell my friends they will be pleased, especially one of them who has witnessed my struggles with drink first hand and been on the receiving end of many an outburst or argument!

I went to the pub last night for the first time in 3 weeks and drank my fav non alcoholic beer. My partner said when we came home how proud they are and how the pressure was off and I really wanly this to continue!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Buggirl - no experience to share here...I didn;t go on holiday until much later in my recovery...but I wish you the best.

Be proactive...think about the likely situations you'll encounter and strategise about how to deal with them...always have an escape plan...

and don't let a 'good night' in a pub leave you complacent....this addiction stuff is really sneaky and relentless.

D
Old 09-01-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I haven't had a holiday since being sober but if you think you can manage it then why not
Old 09-01-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice x
Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was thinking in any situation I've heard of an exit plan

Discuss with your bf an exit plan for any situation you feel uncomfortable with then that way you have a safeguard

Only you know if your ready if you have doubts speak with your bf

Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its not a good idea to go to a bar, drinking non-alcoholic drinks when you are first becoming sober. But trial and error, you will learn.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

I went on vacation bearly(sic) a week in. I went expecting to be pissy about not being able to enjoy my time because of quitting , and the places and things we did were mostly centered around drinking. And I was right, thinking I was going to be pissy and not able to enjoy myself is exactly when I was pissy. But when I didn't , I wasn't .

You sound more like the latter, everyone is different but It was doable for me , and I eventually ending up having a not terrible time of it. You sound like you will handle being able to enjoy it better than I did, so good luck , and have fun, and eh don't drink