Notices

Over at a friends...

Old 08-31-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
misanthrope

Question Over at a friends...

Over at a friends tonight, and a few of his friends come over, and soon out comes the booze. It kind of caught me off guard i wasn't expecting the party. I didn't drink anything but Perrier but it took it out of me. I've only been sober for six weeks. How did you deal with these types of situations?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDrunkGuy View Post
Over at a friends tonight, and a few of his friends come over, and soon out comes the booze. It kind of caught me off guard i wasn't expecting the party. I didn't drink anything but Perrier but it took it out of me. I've only been sober for six weeks. How did you deal with these types of situations?
Try to have an escape plan ahead of time. Have an excuse of why you have to leave early. One more thing have your own transportation also. That makes it easier too
Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I say "no thanks, I don't drink. I'll have a cola (or water. whatever. ..) Be upfront and if they are true friends they will respect that.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DAB

Congrats on 6 weeks! You did well.
You can always leave if you need to.
When situations like that happen to me, I try avoid the cravings by eating or drinking a juice, water, or soda.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

I'm with you FormerDrunkGuy. Facing drinking situations pose more questions than answers. What I think I've learned over the last 45 days is there's no single answer. Each person's recovery is unique, therefore tactics used to succeed in recovery differ. To make matters worse, a person needs several tactics. If possible, walk the dog, go for a jog, etc. If an activity isn't practical, visualize reasons you seek sobriety and the advantages to being sober. Talk to someone (in-person, phone, SR). Have you visited the forum on reading materials? Attended meetings? Working a program? Might be a good place to start.

Good job not drinking and I wish you continued success.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always have a pretty good idea of what I'm walking into. If things ever where to morph into something else and I felt like I shouldn't be there, I'd say my goodbyes and leave.

D