Notices

I have to thank SR...

Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have to thank SR...

...and all the great people here for good tips/advice/things to think about/tools for my arsenal/whatever you want to call it!

Had a tough tough week and I made it somehow! I really do owe so much to SO MANY kind folks here b/c I have never had the tools before to really understand how to do this.

One specific thing that a few people mentioned that I never would have thought about -- I had posted that I had a wedding last weekend that I was nervous about and a few of you mentioned that even after I got through that weekend to stay vigilant b/c a lot of people tend to relapse after successfully getting through that kind of event. I thought it was weird at first but then I definitely had the feeling of..."oh come on, I did so well at the wedding, I can have ONE glass of wine". And if I hadn't been aware of this before, I likely would have caved. Instead I was prepared for the Beast and shot him down! Take THAT you Son of a B***!!

I would love to say I'm feeling stronger on the other side but to be honest, I feel a little tired and just need to recharge. Luckily I have this weekend to do just that. I have a bit of work to do, but I can do it on my own time, so the rest of the weekend has been coffee, movies, reading, some bad TV, catching up on SR and going to be early.

Last week I was travelling for work, which is always a tough one for me. I successfully said "no thanks" to wine at dinner for most of the nights...EXCEPT the last night, Thursday. Ugh. So my co-worker is pregnant, and she suggested we get a glass of wine and split it...since she wldn't want a full glass but a 1/2 would be fine. I had even mentioned earlier in the week that I'm doing a 'not drinking thing for a while'. But I think she just kinda forgot. So she suggested it and after a LONG day of meetings and being in an amazing steak restaurant that I would never really go to on my own dime, I said "SURE!". As soon as I had the glass in my hand, I regretted it. I took a sip and regretted it even more.
So for the rest of dinner, I left the glass on the table...untouched. I drank the sparkling water with my amazing steak dinner. I did have to deflect from my co-workers why I wasn't drinking the wine...but that's a conversation I'm going to start on another thread a little later.

Anyways, I didn't drink. (Does a sip count? Eh, whatever). I really did use the advice I was given here to really visualize where that glass would get me. It would've gotten me another glass and possibly end with me drinking alone at the hotel bar later. And then as Friday was a travel day back from the West coast, it would probably lead to drinking at the airport and on the plane on the way back. Saturday would have started with me probably almost puking in the morning and proceeding to drink until I passed out on the couch. There would've been some crying and posting something ridiculous somewhere online at some point during the day. And then today, Sunday, I would be hungover and wondering at 10am when it would appropriate to start drinking b/c my head was killing me. Gross.

Instead I got to my favorite coffee shop before it gets ungodly crowded, and am enjoying a strong Americano and fresh bread with jam. This is so much better

Happy Sober Sunday to all the you folks out there. If I could hug you I would!!!
Lola

Last edited by Lola23; 08-31-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Huggy Hug Hug
Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lola, you won in a big way this week! Congratulations! You deserve a day to recharge; you really earned it. Way to go!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Proud of you Lola. Way to go.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Lola !
Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you deserve a medal for putting the glass down after one sip. That would have been incredibly hard
Well done you. Keep on the same road
Jude
Old 08-31-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Lola!

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lola - as my dad would say, with a grin on his face, "you done GOOD!" I don't know of many alcoholics who would stop at one sip. It's done, it's over. Forward we go, step by step (dedicated to our dear CarolD who is no longer with us, but had decades of recovery).

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-31-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Lola. I'm happy to read this inspiring post. Keep it going.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keeping it in the day View Post
I think you deserve a medal for putting the glass down after one sip. That would have been incredibly hard
Well done you. Keep on the same road
Jude
You know what, thinking about coming here and posting that I screwed up helped. It really did. Accountability is a strong motivator sometimes.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lola23 View Post
...and all the great people here for good tips/advice/things to think about/tools for my arsenal/whatever you want to call it!

Had a tough tough week and I made it somehow! I really do owe so much to SO MANY kind folks here b/c I have never had the tools before to really understand how to do this.

One specific thing that a few people mentioned that I never would have thought about -- I had posted that I had a wedding last weekend that I was nervous about and a few of you mentioned that even after I got through that weekend to stay vigilant b/c a lot of people tend to relapse after successfully getting through that kind of event. I thought it was weird at first but then I definitely had the feeling of..."oh come on, I did so well at the wedding, I can have ONE glass of wine". And if I hadn't been aware of this before, I likely would have caved. Instead I was prepared for the Beast and shot him down! Take THAT you Son of a B***!!

I would love to say I'm feeling stronger on the other side but to be honest, I feel a little tired and just need to recharge. Luckily I have this weekend to do just that. I have a bit of work to do, but I can do it on my own time, so the rest of the weekend has been coffee, movies, reading, some bad TV, catching up on SR and going to be early.

Last week I was travelling for work, which is always a tough one for me. I successfully said "no thanks" to wine at dinner for most of the nights...EXCEPT the last night, Thursday. Ugh. So my co-worker is pregnant, and she suggested we get a glass of wine and split it...since she wldn't want a full glass but a 1/2 would be fine. I had even mentioned earlier in the week that I'm doing a 'not drinking thing for a while'. But I think she just kinda forgot. So she suggested it and after a LONG day of meetings and being in an amazing steak restaurant that I would never really go to on my own dime, I said "SURE!". As soon as I had the glass in my hand, I regretted it. I took a sip and regretted it even more.
So for the rest of dinner, I left the glass on the table...untouched. I drank the sparkling water with my amazing steak dinner. I did have to deflect from my co-workers why I wasn't drinking the wine...but that's a conversation I'm going to start on another thread a little later.

Anyways, I didn't drink. (Does a sip count? Eh, whatever). I really did use the advice I was given here to really visualize where that glass would get me. It would've gotten me another glass and possibly end with me drinking alone at the hotel bar later. And then as Friday was a travel day back from the West coast, it would probably lead to drinking at the airport and on the plane on the way back. Saturday would have started with me probably almost puking in the morning and proceeding to drink until I passed out on the couch. There would've been some crying and posting something ridiculous somewhere online at some point during the day. And then today, Sunday, I would be hungover and wondering at 10am when it would appropriate to start drinking b/c my head was killing me. Gross.

Instead I got to my favorite coffee shop before it gets ungodly crowded, and am enjoying a strong Americano and fresh bread with jam. This is so much better

Happy Sober Sunday to all the you folks out there. If I could hug you I would!!!
Lola
What an awesome story! Well done you!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Lola - thank you - and congratulations!

D
Old 08-31-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's what I'm talking about. It is all up to you and you made it happen. Hearing this inspires me. We are strong and we DO NOT have to drink it because it is infront of us. I read a post about the language we use and kind of the "self fulfilling prophesy" so: we don't want the booze anymore and we don't need it.

Thanks for posting this!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

SR has been a great help to me too, and I'm grateful for the caring members here.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on a tenacious and diligent victory Lola !
Old 08-31-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your post is very inspiring, Lola. Well done! Keep it up one day at a time.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lola, that was an awesome read! Thank you very much! I hope you are resting now and watching more bad tv. I can't find anything on to top the bad shows I was watching last night. You did really well.