Notices

Sick of it

Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CPM

Sick of it

Hello everyone,

I have tried and tried and tried again to quit this. I am so sick of it. Sick of how I can see the destruction and all the lost opportunities....all the regret. And still I choose to drink...WHY? How is this sane?

How is it done?

I'm not a daily drinker. I binge. I get drinkers remorse. I binge. remorse. I'm sure you know how it goes.

The worst thing is how much of loser you feel. How weak you feel. Out of control and depressed.

This is going to be one hell of a struggle...all uphill. But today I've decided to fully commit. I'm going to try every option open to me. I'll need help and support from here and from family and friends.

Do you think it's a good idea to pin up reminders of how bad the results are of drinking...past experiences, photo's, health warning photo's and that sort of thing?

How was the first few day's and weeks for you. How do you kill that desire to get wasted when it flares up.

Thanks for you time
Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Get all the help and support you can to beat this disease. You'll have to make changes to your life to support sobriety but it's worth the effort.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome CPM. You have a lot of questions, but the act of committing to do whatever it takes is very significant. Have you tried any formal meeting type recovery or self paced? Counseling or even rehab are options too. Start with today though...SR is open 24/7 so you can always count on support here.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

For me I was too tired to do it anymore. I had given up trying- I had failed so many times- the cycle had me in despair, I was trapped I knew it. The first day I was so hungover and sick it was just 'another day off' I felt alone, and thought the end would be coming soon on the road I was on.

The funny thing is the next day I did not make a conscious effort not to drink- I just didn't care what happened anymore- By day three I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms- but decided I would embrace sobriety with everything I have and "take what comes". "taking what comes" was my only guide for the early part- then I discovered SR and read the Big Book, learned about AVRT and SMART tools over the next week.

I think the decision to "surrender" was important- as was the commitment to embrace sobriety and not run from discomfort but to sit with it until it passes.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found it boring at first but I plugged through. When I got cravings I ate food and drank soda. It got easier and now I love sobriety. I had been drunk so long that sobriety is like a high for me, not kidding.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CPM

Thanks for the replies.

Some good advice there I think Instant. To sit with the discomfort. Instead of trying to fight it. Kind of accept that you feel like drinking and objectively 'watch' the feeling without acting on it.

I'll look into those tools you mentioned.

Thanks again
Old 08-30-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi CPM when I first got sober I was given an A4 piece of photocopied paper

On it was a story ... A story of 2 wolves you can google this under AA 2 wolves story

It's origins is native Indian but it is very relative and an eye opening worthwhile read

Or the prayer footprints (you don't have to be religious to understand the message think of us at Sober recovery when reading this if your agnostic)

Also there is a print out a scale of alcoholism and diagnostically describing how bad your health suffers when drinking and how much your health improves when in recovery I will ask my sponser for this as it hits the nail on the head and might interest you

I only say this as it might be better than graphically beating and reminding yourself in the sense your describing believe it or not you might feel crap now but in time you will get well if you stick at it and be a lot happier for it

I read your post and you made me believe your going to do it

Good luck keep posting
Old 08-30-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CPM

Originally Posted by aborkie View Post
I had been drunk so long that sobriety is like a high for me, not kidding.
Ha! That's what I want.

It's just such an easy option to get drunk when you're bored. I think you really have to change you're lifestyle and thought patterns...

I guess you can't really stop thoughts though. Like Instant said, just sitting with the discomfort till it passes and hopefully the urges come less and less as time goes by.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CPM

Hello Soberwolf,

Thank you for your reply.

I will google the 2 wolves story and read it with interest.

I think I know the prayer you're talking about. I'll look that up as well and maybe print it.

And yes I would be interested in the health diagram you mentioned if it's not to much trouble.

Thanks for the support and belief that I can beat this.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome CPM

To me there are two common elements to success - finding support, and using it...and making the changes necessary in your life to support a commitment to staying sober.

That means not only social life changes where applicable but learning to sit with, and through, the discomfort as Instant put it.

All that can be a little tough - that's where the support comes in - and you'll find a lot of that here

D
Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keeping a very visible list of pros and cons is helping me and I'm starting a journal because I FORGET all too easily. Also keep my car keys next to the list.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Q. How do you kill that desire to get wasted when it flares up?

A. For everybody its different. You have to find it. For me its to bring in negative thoughts about alcohol whenever I get the 'desire'. The fact that it is an industrial solvent and a fuel used in gasoline helps. The actual term for it is ethanol. It rips your guts out and will kill you if you drink it straight and enough of it at one time. I use a bunch of other mind programming techniques as well.