Notices

I'm doing it! 9 days sober. But, question about caffeine:

Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm doing it! 9 days sober. But, question about caffeine:

By the support of friends and my higher power all craving, temptations have been lifted and I feel so healthy in sobriety and doing great!

But I find that I drink about 3 styrofoam size cups of coffee (sugar/creamer of course) every meeting. Now sure it is a heck of a lot better than beers and wheras I drank alcohol only for feeling and not taste I love the taste of coffee and I guess I get a pep in my step but not bouncing off of walls from coffee. Anyone do the bottomless cup of coffee dance when they got sober?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Btw I go to 3 meetings a day, 12 pm, 4:30 pm then 9 pm and have no trouble sleeping at night
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya NevarCiots, I love coffee but it was always ice cream for me.

Congratulations on 9 days sober.brilliant.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NevarCiots View Post
Anyone do the bottomless cup of coffee dance when they got sober?
Before I developed a drinking problem, while I had a drinking problem and after I got sober. I love coffee and I have no plans to give it up.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Before I developed a drinking problem, while I had a drinking problem and after I got sober. I love coffee and I have no plans to give it up.
Yep it really ties the morning together. I have heard the "oh you just replacing one addiction with another." I say fine! Better coffeebeans than the horrid nightmare substance alcohol. I have had it with that stuff. Nice cups of coffee are soooooo much better when clean of mind and without worry.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have to admit I struggle to give up coffee.. I have only ever drunk it when I've given up the booze & quite easily have 15-20 cups a day.. I do have it with sugar so it maybe the body craving sugar from the lack of alcohol... I have also noticed for myself it is also a trigger for relapsing but I am being extra vigilant this time around & slowly cutting down on the cafe..
Old 08-29-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go on 9 days Nevar

I think we crave a little stimulation in early recovery - some eat sweets, some go for coffee

If you're not too bothered and if it's not making you want to drink I wouldn't worry too much for now.

D
Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NevarCiots View Post

Yep it really ties the morning together. I have heard the "oh you just replacing one addiction with another." I say fine! Better coffeebeans than the horrid nightmare substance alcohol. I have had it with that stuff. Nice cups of coffee are soooooo much better when clean of mind and without worry.
I figure I can't be arrested for driving while caffeinated. :-) I've actually cut down since I quit drinking. Although, I've been chewing more sugarless gum.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I cut out booze. Then a couple weeks later I cut out aspartame (NutraSweet) because that stuff is also evil. I really like Diet Pepsi/Diet Coke.

So now when I want to be naughty, I buy a Diet Coke when I'm out. I did it tonight. I went to a drugstore with my 2 girls. We got birthday cards, some hair stuff, one Barbie doll and then some drinks. My girls got chocolate milk and some fruit drink. I got a Diet Coke and I felt like a rebel. I walked by the hard liquor, they sell it at CVS, wine and hard liquor, and I don't clench my teeth now (I did for about a month if I saw liquor). I do crave diet cola but, like alcohol, won't have it at home, and instead have the Zevia cola which is made with Stevia.

But coffee? Man I love the stuff...I do try to not go to town with it and will alternate and have some tea, but I have no intention of quitting coffee.

Alcohol and aspartame are evil and I feel so much better without them but I don't think coffee is too evil.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! Today was the birthday for alcoholics day or something and every meeting was cake, cake, coffee and more coffee all day long! Such fun! Day 10: completed ^_^
Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Coffee is also a positively healthy choice unless you totally overdo it. As long as you're not drinking insane amounts and it's not making you feel bad then drink as much as you like.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Did someone say coffee?

Love the stuff. Likely more than I love wine, but both make me feel awful. The wine, I cut out completely. Because of that, I moved on to more coffee, but it made me so terribly jittery I gave it up. I now have an unhealthy herbal tea addiction, given the fact that I have a cupboard dedicated to tea now....

But man, I WISH I could do unlimited coffee. I'm stuck at 2 cups a day if I want to be sane. But, I am so glad someone decided to roast and grind those beans the first time....
Old 08-31-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LDT

I'm just over 20 months sober ( 2nd time around ) and I'm all about the bottomless cup of coffee. It's not causing me any problems and I have no plans to give it up.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been a coffee-holic as long as I can recall. I think it all really started in the military. Have only quit for about a year in my adult life. It was really pretty GOOD being coffee-free. I still drank green, white and herbal teas during that period but less so.

Since sobriety I have been *wanting* to quit coffee and once made it four days.

I drink 3-4 cups a day but they're very strong.

Caffeine has a 12 hour half life so I figure I basically have around 100-300mg coursing around me at any given time. If I drop down to one cup I start to wake with bad headaches in the night. This level of caffeine in the body is likely not good - caffeine stimulates the CNS and the fight-or-flight response so that one is always in an elevated stress condition. This means a constant level of cortisol and stress hormones comes along with that "alertness". But it also means heightened anxiety and stress. Chronic stress and cortisol can lead to adrenal fatigue and other health problems. I notice my body get's fatigued faster and my heart rate and blood pressure are higher than they ought to be.

Friends who have quit coffee report returning to a new balance and higher energy levels and alertness after about 90 days.

I basically "KNOW" that I really should either quit or at least drop to very minimal "every now and then just one" coffee intake - yet I continue to drink coffee every day. In fact, I'm probably going to go get another right now.....

Does any of this sound familiar????
Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ben and Jerry's you can thank me later lol
Old 08-31-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It got a bad rap for a long time. I'm glad the truth came out. Anyone who says negative things about coffee doesn't know what they're talking about.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

going on 14 months and I drink way too much. about 6 cups in the morning, then maybe 4 the rest of the day. The way i figure it, it's way better than the alcohol i was killing myself with. so for now, it's a good trade.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can't see it as being a problem for now if you're not crazy overdoing it.

I love the taste of coffee but have to do decaf, caffeine sets my anxiety off big time and I jitter all over the shop. Much rather a herbal tea, I'm always mentally 'busy' as it is without a stimulant!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love my coffee. Since stopping drinking I've gone from 2 cups in the morning to maybe 6 or 7 throughout the day. I started replacing some of the coffee with tea (Earl Grey right now) and that seems to be working to cut the coffee down a bit.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

.....thinking I may be in the minority of non-coffee drinkers. I loves the Diet Rite and sparkling flavored water.

Hey, drink what you love, love what you drink!

Bunnez