SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Willpower (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/343454-willpower.html)

Pearljam3321 08-29-2014 07:20 AM

Willpower

I've used alcohol as a coping mechanism for some time now,whether I'm lonely,depressed,angry,even in the rare happy moments,it's an escape but is slowly taking over my life.I went back to college a few years ago to and will be starting a new career soon(hopefully) but I'm worried I'll put all of that in jeopardy,including all of the hard work I've done if I don't get control over my drinking.I tend to keep people at arms length so am left with few friends and family,feeling a bit lost at the moment as I seem to be on this never-ending merrygoround.Don't know if I have the strength or necessary willpower to succeed.sorry if I rambled on a bit,any advice is appreciated :thanks

Foolsgold186 08-29-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pearljam3321 (Post 4866930)
I've used alcohol as a coping mechanism for some time now,whether I'm lonely,depressed,angry,even in the rare happy moments,it's an escape but is slowly taking over my life.I went back to college a few years ago to and will be starting a new career soon(hopefully) but I'm worried I'll put all of that in jeopardy,including all of the hard work I've done if I don't get control over my drinking.I tend to keep people at arms length so am left with few friends and family,feeling a bit lost at the moment as I seem to be on this never-ending merrygoround.Don't know if I have the strength or necessary willpower to succeed.sorry if I rambled on a bit,any advice is appreciated :thanks

Welcome Pearljam3321!

You're in the right place if you think you have a problem with alcohol. I came here looking for support and suppport I got a plenty!

You got here and if it's what you want you can do it! Believe in yourself, 2 months ago I had faith in no one....wow :ringso much has changed.

Good luck!

Leigh x

leviathan 08-29-2014 07:49 AM

many of those in recovery, myself included, believe that willpower is not enough.

if you can come to the conclusion that life really will be better without drinking, you will have a foundation. i did this by spending some time alone with pen and paper, just thinking and taking some inventory. i figured that without honesty this was futile. the honesty part was the hardest. i attempted to be open minded.-if my determination was to be that drinking and using gave my more benefit, i would continue with NO RESERVATIONS!

i pretty much knew my drinking/using pattern wasnt doing me any favors. just couldnt say it out loud. once i seriously thought about it though, i realized i would GAIN a more significant life by stopping.

willpower is something i have leaned on only on occasion. the core of my program is absolute conviction that getting wasted really has nothing more to offer me.

Pearljam3321 08-29-2014 08:04 AM

Not sure if AA meetings are for me,but still not sure if I can do it on my own,sounds weak I know.I know alcohol doesn't really add anything to my life(except company when I need friends) but life seems just as hard without it.

huntingtontx 08-29-2014 08:15 AM

Friends will be there whether you drink or not. In fact, a non drinker is every ones friend. Designated driver anyone. Yep, alcohol adds nothing to having fun with friends. I am often the only adult not drinking. I think I have the best time of all. I remember every minute with clarity, and no hangover ever. You don't have to give up friends to be sober, just alcohol. We are all here for you if you need us.

Pearljam3321 08-29-2014 08:25 AM

Have lost interest in doing things that I once enjoyed,sports,music,etc.Always feeling low and I know alcohol as a depressant doesn't help this.Feel lost right now.

Pearljam3321 08-29-2014 08:31 AM

I probably won't be on this again this evening as have that urge again to get to the pub,but what's new,pathetic heh.

MIRecovery 08-29-2014 08:52 AM

Will power alone kept me drunk for 25 years. When I gave AA a REAL try I stayed sober

huntingtontx 08-29-2014 08:53 AM

Why not hang out with us instead. We are here 24 hours a day, and we care about you. I am sorry you are feeling low. You are right. Alcohol only makes it worse. Have you thought about talking to your family Doctor. It might help.

Soberwolf 08-29-2014 10:44 AM

If you stop drinking (I highly recommend it to anyone) I swear you will not feel lost yes it will be hard but it gets a lot easier you will have a better life now if you stop drinking

Gritted teeth time

It is always possible

There is chat, forum, links, lots of different ideas and thoughts to read up on

There is a 24h thread in the forum try not to post if you have had a drink just sleep it off and try again tomorrow

Pearljam3321 08-29-2014 03:11 PM

Ok,I'm back at home,watching the Western,the Good,the bad and the ugly,and no the irony is not lost on me,would like to talk right now but would probably be lost on me as I'm a little pissed,but will still have the same regrets and shame tommorow,seriously dont know where the fu*k I'm at,maybe I'm kidding myself here.

aborkie 08-29-2014 03:31 PM

Where there's a want there's a will.

Dee74 08-29-2014 04:25 PM

Hi pearljam :)

I really believe sobreity isn't beyond anyone. I was an all day everyday drinker for many year but I turned it around.

I don't think it's about strength - noone really does this alone :)
There's a ton of support here.

I don't think it's about willpower either. I have a ton of willpower - but part of that will wanted me to drink.

I think it's about acceptance - I accepted I had a problem and accepted that my life would have to change.

It;s a big step but I'm glad beyond words I made it.

I love my life now, and I am comfortable with the man I am - I could never say that as a drinker.

I really hope you stick around, keep posting & reading, and decide to give it a go :)

D

Soberwolf 08-29-2014 04:28 PM

Dee every time I read your posts you always hit the nail on the head

Dee for prime minister in the UK lol

Pearljam3321 08-30-2014 06:11 PM

[:thanks

Dee74 08-30-2014 06:30 PM

no thanks SW :lmao

D