Notices

Hello , Not quit yet

Old 08-28-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello , Not quit yet

Hi folks
Just joined with a view to quitting on Sunday . just 48 hours or so to go!!!
I usually start when preparing the family meal at 4.00pm and drink around 15-20 units per night...My breaks have got shorter, and I feel progressively worse and worse. I drink beer and am now fat and ugly...I have wasted thousands of £££ over the years and have recently given up my hobbies.
I have severe depression linked to this drinking and have just been prescribed another course of Citalopram which I am not going to take..Time to act!!!
Other than that, I'm a fairly amicable guy that you would never really know drank much if I hadn't told you and I met you on the street.
Right ,got the nasty facts over honestly...Nice to meet you folks and hope I can go through it with you, making some friends along the way. I am a nice guy really, just selfish with my drinking.

all the best

Keith
Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Keith, to SR; glad you found us. Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.

Why not stop today???!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome, Keith, to SR; glad you found us. Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.

Why not stop today???!!!
Thanks for your kind welcome. I set myself a date about two weeks ago, and I feel it helps me prepare ( I might be wrong though ?) I did the same thing with smoking 18 months ago, and I have cracked that one now...I have more fear of the alcohol though. I am determined to do it all the same .Hope you will stick by me?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

I spun my wheels a lot of years with plans to quit tomorrow or some such time in the future, as if I was going to be more ready then than in the present. I missed a lot of quit dates that way.

Succeeded when I made "now" my recovery start date. Don't wait until Sunday, as you don't know what you will convince yourself of when that day rolls around.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

SR will always be here for you Keefer. Is your doctor aware that you won't be taking your prescribed medicine and the extent of your drinking?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keefer View Post
Thanks for your kind welcome. I set myself a date about two weeks ago, and I feel it helps me prepare ( I might be wrong though ?) I did the same thing with smoking 18 months ago, and I have cracked that one now...I have more fear of the alcohol though. I am determined to do it all the same .Hope you will stick by me?
I absolutely will. Having said that, I am (ironically) heading your way today. Will be in England for about 12 days, then in Scotland (Edinburgh and Inverness) for about a week. I don't know if I will be able to post much but I will definitely check-in when I get back.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome from down south, Keith You'll get loads of support here

Some people here (myself included) say they found it harder to quit smoking than to quit drinking, so you may find you're already on the home strait!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR.

I spun my wheels a lot of years with plans to quit tomorrow or some such time in the future, as if I was going to be more ready then than in the present. I missed a lot of quit dates that way.

Succeeded when I made "now" my recovery start date. Don't wait until Sunday, as you don't know what you will convince yourself of when that day rolls around.
I appreciate that, but I have made up my mind on this. I will of course log in early Sunday to tell you how I am succeeding ( keep it positive)

Thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadLump View Post
A very warm welcome from down south, Keith You'll get loads of support here

Some people here (myself included) say they found it harder to quit smoking than to quit drinking, so you may find you're already on the home strait!
Thanks Headlump... Look forward to chatting in the future mate!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I absolutely will. Having said that, I am (ironically) heading your way today. Will be in England for about 12 days, then in Scotland (Edinburgh and Inverness) for about a week. I don't know if I will be able to post much but I will definitely check-in when I get back.
Thank you SoberLeigh...Hope you have a good trip and look forward to reporting a sober Keith on your return

cheers and safe journey

Keith
Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Are you going to try to taper down your alcohol consumption before Sunday?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
SR will always be here for you Keefer. Is your doctor aware that you won't be taking your prescribed medicine and the extent of your drinking?
Thanks...She was re subscribing me after a break, but I feel that the Citilopram makes me numb and I need to kick the drink..she knows I drink, but I'm too ashamed to say how much...sorry
Thanks for your reply

Keith
Old 08-28-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Are you going to try to taper down your alcohol consumption before Sunday?
Hi
Just had my dinner after 4 cans so I guess that is a step in the right direction. Better than normal anyway as it may be 10 cans some nights

I am determined though and will post my progress

Thank you

Keith
Old 08-28-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

See you Sunday
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by keefer View Post
Thanks...She was re subscribing me after a break, but I feel that the Citilopram makes me numb and I need to kick the drink..she knows I drink, but I'm too ashamed to say how much...sorry
Thanks for your reply

Keith
Alcohol can counter-act or cause most psychoactive drugs to have different results than intended - so if you were drinking as heavily as you are now while taking it previously you should absolutely let your doc know. You should definitely come clean about the amount you've been drinking too - alcohol withdrawal can be serious business and dangerous- especially at the extreme levels that you have been drinking every day.

Quitting smoking is difficult, but completely different from alcohol due to the potential physical dependence. Nicotine withdrawal can be unpleasant, but not life-threatening. I'd recommend sucking up your pride and calling your doctor back, they have seen and heard stories such as yours many times - and they can help. You've made a great decision - use all the tools you can to make it work the first time and stay safe.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Alcohol can counter-act or cause most psychoactive drugs to have different results than intended - so if you were drinking as heavily as you are now while taking it previously you should absolutely let your doc know. You should definitely come clean about the amount you've been drinking too - alcohol withdrawal can be serious business and dangerous- especially at the extreme levels that you have been drinking every day.

Quitting smoking is difficult, but completely different from alcohol due to the potential physical dependence. Nicotine withdrawal can be unpleasant, but not life-threatening. I'd recommend sucking up your pride and calling your doctor back, they have seen and heard stories such as yours many times - and they can help. You've made a great decision - use all the tools you can to make it work the first time and stay safe.

I completely agree with this
Old 08-29-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Keith!!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Keith - welcome to SR

D
Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great decision Keith. Keep posting on your progress. I do agree on "why not start now?"
Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If you quit and stay quit the fat and ugly part goes away! That's what happened to me. Or, at least the first one of those, still waiting on the last part . .

(you may have noticed I somewhat resemble a cat)