Notices

need help with my brother in law

Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need help with my brother in law

hi everyone I,m sure that one or more have gone through this so any advice would be great.
my brother in law is a alcoholic who is in a relationship with a lady who also has drink problems but not as bad. he has been addicted to drink and drugs for some time now and has had help from time to time but sadly didn't manage to stay sober .
i am needing advice because he has all his money took of him due to him spending it on booze. but its his partner who has control of the money and she puts him down most of the time , so most of the time he spends it in his bed room .we believe this is a form of abuse but we don't now how to get it through to him that this is not a good relationship to be in as they feed of each other.we can see he is very depressed and has often talked of suicide how can we help him. any help or advice would be great as we fear we will loose him forever.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dave. First off I'll start by saying I'm sorry this is happening to your family. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything anyone can do. It is his life and his decision. The only thing I think you can do is express how much you care about him and how toxic his situation is, or you can seek professional help and they may suggest an intervention. But interventions are a very sensitive subject and situation so I wouldn't do it without professional help. Hope I helped. Hang in there.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dave. I'm not sure if the advice I have to offer is comforting to hear.

Instead of being in the position of your brother, I was in the position of the wife.

His whole family hates me, They don't know. They don't live with him everyday, every hour, every minute, every second. My husband just sat in his room day in and day out. My inlaws all said that I was the one who was abusing him.

I left, now they have to deal with it, sadly

You really don't know what happens in the home because you are not there 24 hours a day.

I love my X husband, always will. Maybe without me he will find himself