Notices

Three days in..

Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three days in..

I tried this back on June 21st. I went to a fourth of July party and well, that was down anyway, so I may as well drink through the weekend. It went on through the *next* weekend and I stopped again for three weeks. One night I decided I'd had enough of quitting and started drinking again for the last few weeks. My idea was that I would go to the doctor and tell him about my anxiety and insomnia and he would prescribe something. I got Paxil (which wasn't what I thought I would get). I've been taking the Paxil and been sober for three days. This almost seems *worse* than the first time I got off in June and that was after like a ten year bender of drinking between 8-12 5.9% beers every night before bed. Is that possible or is the Paxil making it worse in some way?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great question for your doc.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah, true. Sorry about that.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No need to be sorry... it's a good question. But when dealing with prescribed medications, there are just so many variables at play. And there's a rule about giving medical advice on the forum as well. It's for your protection.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Plexis, I think your Dr. should have prescribed you some anti-anxiety drugs which work well with the short term withdrawal symptoms. The Paxil takes time to get into your system, it's better for when you are through with detox. It is a anti-depressant which will help you with potential relapses. You need something for the short term to "take the edge off". I always started drinking again because I couldn't stand the anxiety and insomnia. I finally detoxed with the help of the meds and then I was able to face my future as a sober person, and get my recovery started. If you still feel bad, call your Dr. and ask to be seen again. Take care..
Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I suffered panic attacks right at the end of my drinking and very early on in the first 2 weeks of sobriety

Gp understood that a paper bag or breathing exercises went effective

Speak your doc and explain what ur telling us
Old 08-27-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you Plexus - I hope you'll stay with us & keep posting.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope so to. I've been working on this awhile. I'm not giving up again. Thanks for the well wishes!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

in my case long term insomnia, anxiety, anger control issues, inability to manage stress, diminished libido, lacking energy, depressed and unstable mood resolved when I stopped drinking and got over the short term and medium term withdrawal
Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Slept a bit better, less night sweats, still no appetite. Still don't feel like moving very much. I have absolutely no urge to drink at all, but I feel awful. Much worse than when I was drinking.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first month of withdrawal from alcohol is really difficult. My sleep was all over the place, I was anxious, and I had no energy. It is like being in recovery from an illness. I just was patient with myself and knew that it would eventually even out. When I woke in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep I would come here with a cup of hot chocolate and a piece of toast. After 30 minutes or so, I could go back to sleep.