SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Are we so different in the UK to the US? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/343210-we-so-different-uk-us.html)

herradura 08-27-2014 02:19 PM

Owington,
Doe Snot is a play on words where I spelled does not, ad doe snot. It is really not anything we harvest or anything, but can be construed as the snot from a female deer. No we don't drink it or eat it over here. And they certainly don't serve it in steak houses. Although maybe they should?

owington 08-27-2014 02:36 PM

I see, I understand hunting is a big thing over there but I'm afraid I'm an animal lover who lets spiders out the window, ha ha. That's not to say anyones right or wrong, we have bas**ards here who organise dog fights near where I live. Again, not trying to start a dispute, just saying I could never shoot an animal for sport. (ex army by the way, work that one out)

LBrain 08-27-2014 02:36 PM

sonomagal, I've done the highway 29 shuffle many a time. I used to 'belong' to sonama wine club. People couldn't understand why I paid $500+ for cases shipped to PA. Come to think of it, why did I? I forgot to put those totals in my lifetime of drinking expense report. Thanks for the reminder.

Sasha4 08-27-2014 02:46 PM

The UK drives me insane at the moment.

The weather and the tax man are my biggest moans!
I also live near a pyromaniac and the slightest nice day or evening we have, he lights a fire and it stinks.

Maybe I am just in a bad mood!

Wishing everyone but the fire starter and the tax man the best xx

owington 08-27-2014 02:50 PM

Where do you live? general area, I'm not a stalker ha ha. It's grim up North but we're friendly.

DarkDays 08-27-2014 02:51 PM

Walked round London West end Tonight, loads of bars restaurants full of people eating drinking but loads of people not in bars restaurants eating and drinking if you get what I mean, all about perception. Me I look into packed bars and see sheep all following each other and me the non conformist cool dude outside :) Just trying to point out a mindset change really helps, well helped me ! Jason vale book helped even more.

ESD907 08-27-2014 03:57 PM

I do think there is a difference. I lived in London from the ages of 14-18. My US friends were jealous I was able to go out (drinking) a few years before them. I go back every so often, since my brother married a woman from there. Its much more acceptable in the US NOT to drink. A bit more pressure in the UK to drink. Also, I'm a big reader of mysteries, both US and UK. And while you can go thru many books of US origin and nary a drink in sight, the UK books tend to have it quite often. While at large family events in the US, even with lots of aunts/uncles, etc...we usually only had soda/juice. Only 4th of July there was a garbage can filled with beer. (weddings, were different)..but bridal showers, baby showers, etc, were all alcohol free too. And I know many families who are still alcohol free. And in the UK, many people will simply go to the pub to socialize, most of us in the US don't do that. We usually go thru the bar phase when we are college age, till early 30's then its over. Of course, this is from my perspective, and as many people there are in the world, are that many diff perspectives.

Mountainmanbob 08-27-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by owington (Post 4862173)

We drink at home after work, we drink at sports events, we drink at pretty much everything!

sounds like alcoholism in the US to me

I think that even on Mars there would be similarities for the drunk ones

MM

Soberwolf 08-27-2014 04:43 PM

UK needs more southern style american food BBQ !!!

Wastinglife 08-27-2014 04:55 PM

I drink even more when it's nice and sunny out. That's patio weather.