Notices

This took a long time.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This took a long time.

I would say its been about 5 years, of drinking and as time went on it lead to more. I grew a LOVE for Beer, claimed its a man thing, and that no other alcohol attracts me, just beer. So I have liquor in the house, but rarely touch it. Really only when my wife makes a mixed drink which is not often. I have Wine in the house, and at most we might have a glass at dinner once or twice a week. But if there is Beer, I love the taste, and it went from 2 a day, to 4 a day, then I lost my job and was shocked to find I drank all 12 I just bought yesterday.

A friend of mine came on Sunday, I had not seen in a long time. I made my wife mad, and him with my drinking behavior, so they took all 20ish bottles out of my house, and I have not had a drink since. My friend and I are going to an AA meeting on Thursday. I am an Alcoholic, And its name is Beer. I thought to be an Alcoholic it meant all Alcohol. Again.. I keep telling myself, it can just be beer...........
Old 08-26-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Deathorse!!

You'll finds loads of support and advice here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Welcome Deathorse,

Same boat here. Surprised to pick up a 15 thinking I'd have beer for the weekend, then would easily troll through a dozen the first evening. And I have a cupboard full of hard liquor too. Single malt scotch is the only temptation there. You know, a MAN's drink.

Good luck with your friend at AA. Alcohol is alcohol regardless of its transfer mechanism, and uncontrolled drinking is uncontrolled drinking, regardless of the poison of choice. SR is a great place for you, and can offer great real-time support when you need it.

Congratulations on stopping drinking. As an ex beer drinker, my tips are:
- Take it one day at a time
- Eat lots....being hungry is a great incentive to drink beer.

Welcome
Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Deathorse.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well..there is such thing as a "Drug of Choice". Mine was wine. I was "obsessed" with wine..in every possible way. If beer is a "guy thing"..perhaps wine is "gal thing".

Welcome. Glad you're here.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Deathorse View Post
I would say its been about 5 years, of drinking and as time went on it lead to more. I grew a LOVE for Beer, claimed its a man thing, and that no other alcohol attracts me, just beer. So I have liquor in the house, but rarely touch it. Really only when my wife makes a mixed drink which is not often. I have Wine in the house, and at most we might have a glass at dinner once or twice a week. But if there is Beer, I love the taste, and it went from 2 a day, to 4 a day, then I lost my job and was shocked to find I drank all 12 I just bought yesterday.

A friend of mine came on Sunday, I had not seen in a long time. I made my wife mad, and him with my drinking behavior, so they took all 20ish bottles out of my house, and I have not had a drink since. My friend and I are going to an AA meeting on Thursday. I am an Alcoholic, And its name is Beer. I thought to be an Alcoholic it meant all Alcohol. Again.. I keep telling myself, it can just be beer...........
Really honest post

Good you have a friend like that i had a chuckle with your reasoning that to be alcoholic you had to drink all alcohol

Beer is alcohol and if it is causing big enough problems for all alcohol to be thrown out of the house what does that say ?

Hope to hear more posts of you on your journey

Take care all the best
Old 08-26-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Well..there is such thing as a "Drug of Choice". Mine was wine. I was "obsessed" with wine..in every possible way. If beer is a "guy thing"..perhaps wine is "gal thing". Welcome. Glad you're here.

Hear hear! I don't really drink anything else maybe the odd glass of port or champagne. Love my wine too much!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is my first post. I have just been to my doctor for help to stop drinking. I have drank 2 litres of wine daily for at least 20 years, and before that it was scotch or rum. I live alone, so there is no one to stop me. I had hope the doc would prescribe Antabuse and I could just stop cold turkey and then work on it from there. However, he wants me to be 7 days dry before he will prescribe Antabuse in case I have alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Eeek. I am terrified to do this. Did any of you go through withdrawal symptoms?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barbatlarge View Post
This is my first post. I have just been to my doctor for help to stop drinking. I have drank 2 litres of wine daily for at least 20 years, and before that it was scotch or rum. I live alone, so there is no one to stop me. I had hope the doc would prescribe Antabuse and I could just stop cold turkey and then work on it from there. However, he wants me to be 7 days dry before he will prescribe Antabuse in case I have alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Eeek. I am terrified to do this. Did any of you go through withdrawal symptoms?
Hi Barbatlarge,

Welcome to the forums. I am only on day 5 of this journey but I was drinking a bottle of wine a day, then weekends would be a bottle and a half or more cocktails.

I haven't suffered any real withdrawal symptoms, only thing so far I had a terrible upset stomach / feeling sick yesterday. Then last night and today had hot flushes.

If you have any serious withdrawal symptoms you must see a doctor or even go to ER.

Stay strong and take care :-)
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome deathorse and barbatlarge. It's great to have both of you join the family.

We all understand how you're feeling - it helps to have others to talk things over with. I graduated from a couple drinks a day to 24/7 drinking. It took me years to admit I was out of control & needed help. It's good you're both taking a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your life. I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkyMcSparky View Post
Welcome Deathorse,

Same boat here. Surprised to pick up a 15 thinking I'd have beer for the weekend, then would easily troll through a dozen the first evening. And I have a cupboard full of hard liquor too. Single malt scotch is the only temptation there. You know, a MAN's drink.

Good luck with your friend at AA. Alcohol is alcohol regardless of its transfer mechanism, and uncontrolled drinking is uncontrolled drinking, regardless of the poison of choice. SR is a great place for you, and can offer great real-time support when you need it.

Congratulations on stopping drinking. As an ex beer drinker, my tips are:
- Take it one day at a time
- Eat lots....being hungry is a great incentive to drink beer.

Welcome
I hear ya eat more! I find it hardest to not think about beer when I am hungry! I have been trying to find a substitute for whatever my body wants that the beer supplied. I assume it was sugar?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, I was a beer lover, loved hops and malt, even started brewing my own beers, had kegs of beer on tap. Now all that gear collects dust. I think that is best.

When you drink a lot of beer it becomes a go-to. I used to get home from work, hungry, and immediately start drinking, so I got conditioned to drinking when I was hungry.

That's not a good thing to do -- humans wake up hungry, and get hungry numerous times throughout the day. Having alcohol consumption as a strong conditioned response to hunger, therefore, complicates things -- in a bad way. I can see why I started drinking in the mornings, as "breakfast beer".

You get over it after awhile. Stick to your guns.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by Deathorse View Post
I hear ya eat more! I find it hardest to not think about beer when I am hungry! I have been trying to find a substitute for whatever my body wants that the beer supplied. I assume it was sugar?
You will have sugar cravings (for sure), but just being full, and long-lasting full (i.e. proteins like meat) is important. Plus, avoiding carb crashes from too much refined sugar is good. Sugars in dense foods that have some protein (i.e. ice cream, cheese) also worked for me.

Finding something non-sweet to drink is important too. Tomato juice, club soda and NA beer worked for me (though some do argue to avoid all beer-like substances, even NA). At 49 days, I've gotten tired of the empty calories, and have been enjoying club soda lately.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ice Cream.

Ice Cream.Ice Cream.Ice Cream.Ice Cream.

I've found anything cold and sweet helps.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Interesting, Ice Cream huh? lol I don't care for Ice cream much. Anyway Day 3 was much easier. I still feel a bit of Anxiety when I get hungry. I feel like " I MUST EAT NOW" to try to rid of the Anxiety. Anyway, I went to a restaurant today known for their beer, and wings. I found myself, not wanting anything but water. I looked at a table of men drinking tall glasses of beer, and I did not envy them, instead I felt bad for them, and hope that they are not too alcoholics. Then I looked at the menu of beer, and asked myself, "At what point did I think it was "ok" to spend $6.50 a beer?"

I know when I quit smoking years ago, One way to keep me away, was calculating how much a day, a week, a month, and a year I spent on Cigs. I am now doing the same with beer, I am looking at about $9,000 a year probably more. That is enough to keep me away for sure!

I go to my first AA meeting tomorrow. I feel like I have a health good grasp on this aside from the Anxiety that is getting less with time. This is not a true AA, its a Church, which I like better. I have a history of overdoing things a lot, so maybe we can Que in on why to reduce this behavior in the future.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Trach is onto something. I have read him say that a million times on here and one day when my AV was acting up that advice popped in my head. It saved me that time. Give it a try
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

ICE CREAM!!!!!!! Stomps cravings flat!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck deathorse. Ice cream with a brownie and caramel syrup ontop. Man, I just cant shake this sweet toothe... not complaining though. Eatingan early dinner and dessert after helps with my cravings big time.