SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Finally ready (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/343166-finally-ready.html)

DRIZ 08-26-2014 04:58 AM

Finally ready

Hello all.

I joined this forum about a year ago and have been reading posts a few times a week with hopes of quitting drinking. I have yet to stop for more than 3 days in week. I am not a daily drinker but a weekend binge drinker for the last 15+ years. I have tried to stop over the years unsuccessfully. I always seem to end up going back. Lately I am getting worse, frequent blackouts on weekends and the hangovers have me in bed the entire next day. I think I am finally ready to stop. I can't live like this anymore. I definitely need help but I do not like AA. I have tried several meetings and it is just not for me. I have trouble sharing my story in person with strangers. All my friends drink and I do not know anyone that does not so I can't rely on them either. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

ScottFromWI 08-26-2014 05:09 AM

Welcome back Driz, glad you've made then decision to quit.

Sobriety is hard, probably one of the hardest things you'll ever attempt. The way to make it work and last is to find a plan that works for you and make it your number one priority. This will mean that you have to do things you are uncomfortable with and things you don't like. I'm not suggesting that you must do AA, but rejecting it simply because you are uncomfortable and don't like it won't cut it. There are many other programs you can read about here, you might also want to see an addictions counselor to find out what is available locally.

Amajorityofone 08-26-2014 05:10 AM

Friend-

If you're serious about sobriety, and I say this with love, I would start by thinking in terms of do or do not.

There is no "try."

Once you realize this, you will become stronger.

As for your relationships, what's more important to you? Sobriety, or their friendship?

Good luck :)

IOAA2 08-26-2014 05:19 AM

Hi DRIZ. Believe me you are not alone in your fears. A question you might ask yourself is would you prefer to continue down the path your on or be among people who understand you, on this site and AA?
I made my choice years ago and am not sorry at all. The choice to get and stay sober any way requires work even if we don’t like it. I was a difficult drunk and very undisciplined however I don’t suffer or do pain well and was determined to not drink. It’s that simple tho not always easy.
Try to hang in there.

BE WELL

PurpleKnight 08-26-2014 05:36 AM

Welcome back!! :)

Tang 08-26-2014 05:44 AM

DRIZ - everyone I know drinks, except for one coworker (due to religious rules). One of the biggest hurdles for me stopping was I felt I was stepping out of the "real world." The real world being full of drinking people. Like others have pointed out, there are in fact many non-drinkers out there, you may have to work to find them. Telling your drinking friends you are stopping was one of the hardest things I've done in my life. I personally still struggle with reactions I get when I say I'm not drinking. One thing is for sure, you can find support here.

DRIZ 09-08-2014 04:37 PM

Thank you to everyone for all the posts. I am going to try AA again this week along with reading and posting on this forum. Since my last post I drank this past weekend. Nothing crazy but I had 2 beers on Friday and Saturday. So now I am back on day 2. The week is a little bit easier to maintain but Friday and Saturday are tough. I get cravings right around 5 pm.

least 09-08-2014 04:42 PM

Keep yourself occupied when the cravings hit. Do something different from your normal routine.

You can do this! :)

Alynn 09-08-2014 04:50 PM

welcome back. Ive only been on here a short time but Ive realized that sorbriety has to be a huge priortity in my life from now on. It's not just something I can say Ill get to one day. I have to put it right up there with food and oxygen. I could not continue on the same path. I put myself outthere and publicly aknoweldged that I had a probelm yesterday in a support group at church. It was only uncomfortable for a second. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. My next step will be AA.... Im and introvert to the max and it's hard for me to do these things but I've got to put myself first.

Anna 09-08-2014 04:56 PM

I'm glad you posted.

If 5pm is a tough time, change things around and do something different. Are you going home from work at that time? If so, take a different route, or go to the gym or for a walk, call a friend for coffee, anything that can help you get through the time.

DRIZ 09-08-2014 05:07 PM

Thanks for the response Alynn. I haven't told anyone about my situation yet. I actually mentioned to some friends that I am on medication so I can not drink for a bit. I plan to tell them but haven't done so. Maybe bc I am a little embarrassed, not sure exactly.

I am off on the weekends but 5 pm is typically the time I usually start to drink. This weekend I will have a plan to distract me.