Notices

Tired of Failing

Old 08-25-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of Failing

Hi everyone. I've been reading posts on this site but never registered. I always stumbe on this site when I'm feeling horrible after a night (day) of overindulgence in alcohol. I started drinking at 18 and have been the classic "party animal" for the longest time. For the past two years my life changed when I got this job out of town in some small rural village. The loneliness got to me and for some strange reason, I found myself drinking more than normal and not wanting to stop once I start. Worse still, I find myself not having th urge to go home and I drink continuously through the next day till 6 in the evening from the previous night. This is worrying and I wake up the next day feeling so bad, guilty, sick and fed up. I cry my eyes out and ask myself why I'm doing this to myself. I realized a couple of months ago that I indeed have a problem and I need to stop. I have tried and failed a couple of times. I don't drink daily, I can go for weeks without alcohol but once I start, I can't stop.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I think you know the answer. Don't take the first drink no matter what. I am glad you have joined us in this sober journey. We will walk with you and be here for you. Post whenever you need. Read, read and read some more. This site is full of help for those who want it.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome!

What else are you doing to support your recovery? For me I needed the support of others and a complete rework of my life. I simply could not do it on my own
Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Jackie. If you have been reading her for a while, you know this is a great community with a ton of support.

YOU can make the decision not to drink. It starts with that first drink... If you don't have the first then you won't have the next, and so on.

Many of us here; me included; can't stop once we have the first drink. My problem was I couldn't stop and I drank heavily, and daily.

Make a plan to not drink, visualize it, keep busy accomplishing it and just don't take that first drink.

Best of luck.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking.

We're here for support and we really do understand how hard this is.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

I didn't get anywhere until I realised I can't do this on my own, sitting at home trying to not drink, alone with my thoughts would always end badly, the reason being is my mind wanted to drink and it could convince me to do anything in isolation!!

Instead I needed something outside of myself to give me a second opinion on things, something to short circuit my own thought processes!!

You can do this, SR is full of support!!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jackie ! There is no shame in admitting a problem that will only get worse and cause you heartache

Only recognition and its from that knowledge that we should make a hardcore rock solid plan to stop drinking

It takes a small amount of time to start feeling better but is no means a cure we have to really want this Jackie its got to the point where we have all had enough of what it has done/what we have done to ourselves

Proud of you for making a hard but beautiful decision

Were around the same age and youl find other ppl your age that completely get you

Hope for the best do the best you can and you can do it

It is always possible
Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Friend-

There is no such thing as "failure." There are only results. Thus, in order for the outcome to change, the input must change. My advice would be to start thinking in terms of do, or do not.

There is no "try."

Once you realize this, you will become stronger.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I am touched and very much encouraged by all your kind words. This was really a great idea and its good to know I'm not alone in this. I am determined to overcome this and I can't do this alone. Thank you all for your support. SR is really a wise choice I made.