Notices

coming to terms

Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sharpdistance View Post
Can you look at the idea of "being social" from an outside perspective? You can really only be social without having any alcohol. If you can't stop drinking until you're very drunk, then it doesn't seem like drinking two beers could really be any fun for you. I'm sure you would be much more social if you didn't have to deal with the stress of trying to curb your drinking (and not even enjoy the "relaxing effects" of two beers) or deal with the horror of another binge. It seems like the best way to actually have fun at a party would be to have a cola and enjoy everyone's company.

That's the realization I've come to (and still grapple with every day).
Great job. Keep up the good work!
this is true, I guess part of me is still trying to rationalize it since I'm still new to the whole concept. In the past I had been able to have a beer or two and be fine, the problem was always when I had a whisky all bets were off. I always needed more until the bottle was gone and I couldn't remember anything from the night before.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's hard to wrap our heads around the idea that we'll NEVER drink again, but you can get there......and if you're like me, you'd never want to drink again. I'd never trade how I feel now, for a night of drinking.....ever.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So tonight was my going away party. About twenty people in a bar including myself, everyone drinking except for myself. Tonight I had about 7 diet cokes and was very social. Had a great time and stayed sober the entire time. Wasn't really tempted at all to be honest with you, even when the waiter put a glass of straight whisky in my hand (this is from her) I politely said thank you and handed the drink to a coworker. I just got home now and I'm feeling pretty good.

Hurray for small victories.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

A small but significant victory newstart.

Bars are not a place I'd make a habit of being for a while, but I understand you were the guest of honour.

good for you.

D
Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

just checking in, Still sober.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It was a wedding that was my downfall! I'd done 8 weeks sober and then my best friends wedding came round-I was a bridesmaid. The night before I got trashed. I threw up in the bath (not that I remember that, or anything much) and dealt with an horrendous hangover the next day getting ready for the ceremony. The next 2 weddings we went to I basically did the same. I can't control my drinking so I need to not drink at all.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by newstart85 View Post
When I start drinking it seems that once I feel a buzz coming on, that I need to have more and more faster to chase that buzz, to get drunk off my ass. I don't want to live this way anymore.

I don't even really know how to end this, I've just been typing up until this point. If you read this, thank you.
There are only 2 possible endings. One is a whole lot happier than the other. It's up to you how long the story will be. I suggest doing everything you can to keep it as short as possible. For me, coming here, studying "Alcoholics Anonymous" (1939) and getting around other recovering alcoholics/addicts worked. You can find them, nearby, here:

Alcoholics Anonymous : Find Local A.A.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear it

D
Old 09-17-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am learning that early sobriety can be precarious and must be guarded with extra vigilance. Take care of yourself in early days. Sobriety first.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PotentialA View Post
For what it is worth, I am partially recovered in that I managed to curb my social drinking and I am working on my home drinking now (having joined this forum today!).

For social drinking and weddings particularly I did two things where possible:
- I asked the bar if they had non-alcoholic beer - most of them do now (in the UK at least). Sometimes I would buy 2 at a time and ask for a pint glass then I could chat with my friends with a pint of beer without drinking any alcohol. You do get a kind of buzz from it too, even though it is a placebo.
- If you are disciplined about zero alcohol when driving, drive to weddings because if you tell people you are driving back, they will be glad that you are not drinking and if you were drinking they would probably think less of you.

Just my 2 cents/pence in case it helps!

If you are an alcoholic and "get a buzz" from drinking the non alcoholic beer then it is as dangerous as the real thing......the buzz is the thing I crave more than anything and it's heightening the buzz that makes me have another and another. Anything that imitates our former relationship with alcohol would act as a massive trigger for me.

For those who are not alcoholics (not sure if the OP is saying he is a problem drinker or an alcoholic) then it might help.

In those situations just "no thank you" usually worked for me or "I've got to be up early in the morning"

Obviously I'm no expert though as I recently had a 4 month relapse.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
Obviously I'm no expert though as I recently had a 4 month relapse.
Then you're becoming more expert. I hope you're not into long marathons though.