Notices

slipped up

Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

slipped up

Just wanted to post to my brothers and sisters on SR. I slipped up last night. I had been doing so good too. I did not get drunk but did drink. The point is no alcohol period. I was very lucky. But I am also disappointed.

The main point is I like to go out. I have been "hiding out" the last 9 nine days, sober.. I even took my son to this event (no I was not driving) for two reasons. Mainly to spend time with him and not to drink. It was a family friendly festival.

I have to figure out how to not drink and continue on with daily life. I refuse to be a hermit!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Charlie.

The balance is hard to figure out in the beginning, isn't it? You don't want to be a hermit yet the real world can be frightening in the throws of early sobriety. Trying to figure it out myself. I haven't been truly tested yet in the big, bad, drinking world, and I'm ok w/that. Still trying to get my sea-legs so to speak.

You'll get it figured out. You want it too badly to not. That makes all the difference.

Here if ya need me.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sorry charlie.
hope you are better prepared next time. the key is to learn and move on. what prompted this slip anyway? What can you do to avoid it in the future?
keep on working it.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't be too hard on yourself. I slipped many times, even with the best intentions.
I'm an introvert by nature, but I can imagine how hard it would be to face the world sober. But, I've been doing it for three years eight months today. There's just some things a person has to deal with in the outside world.
I still get anxiety doing social events. I don't drink over them, though, and drinking was the only way I could deal with them. So you're not alone.
It'll get better for you. Best to you.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's got nothing to do with being a hermit and everything to do with making changes. It's never a question of sitting home and holding your breath. That won't work. But, going back to things you used to do probably won't work either.

Choose to stay away from places with alcohol. If you're looking to do something with your son, check out weekend activities like hiking, kayaking, local parks - all things where alcohol is not involved.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We have to consider what we do in the first few weeks/months of Sobriety is not the way things are going to be in a years time or forever, I tried to grind out a few weeks of Sober time as a foundation by not going out and seeing many people, and now with some tools under my belt to cope with alcohol around me venture out to social situations and have a great time!!

I needed to keep a long term view of things!! You can do this Charlie, go at things again, but tweak your plan!!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I am starting to realize that the removal of the drink from our lives is not simply swapping the mental picture of our lives with 7-up in hand rather than a glass of wine or a tumbler of Jack. Our everyday lives are radically altered...our minds, our hearts, our spirit. Everything is different. Everything changes.

It is foolish to think that the only thing different in the picture is what is in our hands. Everything changes and maybe that is what we truly battle with.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Charlie, I am so sorry. I know this is difficult but I m here with you.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Me too Charlie, I had 3 cans of cider, not much, I managed to stop (felt bloated - weird), but I still drunk.
Day one again here...
Don't beat yourself up, brush yourself off and refocus - with us!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the support. I am most thankful that I was not drunk.

Anna to address your point specifically it's not my choice to be a hermit. When you live in the same town you grew up in there's a bond. Even though I'm attempting to remove the alcohol bond from that scenario I have forfeited some events. Like a concert and a monthly night out with my childhood buddies. I love being social. I have been my whole life ( I know that's odd since no one knows the extent of my problem) but I had just had enough. I need people. No I am not needy but I love that since of hometown community and friends. I just can't separate the problem from the environment....yet