Notices

Met with potential sponsor today

Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Met with potential sponsor today

I went to a meeting and met with someone who I may ask to be my sponsor. She said that I shouldn't make a decision about working with her until I spent a week or so praying about it. I am not a person who prays and I am not religious but I promised to do my praying anyway. And, I will. No harm can come of it and maybe I'll find it calming.

Anyway, even if I don't end up being sponsored by her I do feel on the right track and I do now have a home group.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good on you.

I found the sponsor-finding a bit difficult. Some people at meetings were "get a sponsor immediately" and others were like "whenever you want to, take your time". Then there's the whole, do I know these people well enough to trust them with all this? Blah blah etc!

I approached my now sponsor just over a week ago because he'd been at most of the meetings I'd been to and as such, we'd spoken each time. Whether that is the 'right' reason to pick a sponsor, I don't know but essentially, I wanted to start working the programme and I need someone who's done it to help me navigate my way through. Seems fitting to have someone who I'm comfortable chatting to already.

Anyway, @snakes, best of luck - hopefully this lady works out as your sponsor, and if not, there's something suitable nearby, I'm sure.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds positive Snakes!!
Old 08-23-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're working on your recovery.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Snakes, hope it all works out.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about sponsors, would it be possible to find one whose views on religion more closely match your own (if prayer isn't a coping skill you will chose to turn to over the long run)? I'm not religious either and would not be able to use religion to help me, but everyone is different. Either way, I hope everything works out!