Notices

Do you cook with cooking wine?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you cook with cooking wine?

I hope this isn't considered off topic. I was making chicken fried rice as I always do and realized that I always marinate the chicken first in some cooking wine. I know most of the alcohol evaporates during cooking. I never even thought about it, but 6 days into my sobriety, I'm kind of hyper-sensitive about all this. Honestly, I'm pretty certain I'll continue to use cooking wine, but, I was curious what others thought about it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If you have it in the house and have no compulsion to drink it, by all means cook with it. I can keep vanilla extract in my home, but cooking wine would be too much of a temptation.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have used regular wine in a few recipes without any triggers coming up. But I make sure to dump the remainder or give it to someone else to drink so it isn't hanging around.

I've also replaced white wine with chicken broth in several recipes and the food has tasted just as good. Couldn't tell the difference.

I think better safe than sorry is the way to go if you are at all uncertain!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its an interesting topic. I was afraid to eat Xmas cake last year due to the alcohol content. I was given an Xmas cake from Selfridges last year and regifted it (Pure Seinfield talk) cos I didn't want any triggers. A lady I was in rehab with was catholic and she wouldn't take the wine for the same reason. Another girl in the same rehab had a father who was a vicar and he introduced non alcoholic wine into his church on behalf of his daughter.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you cook with wine all the alcohol burns off. If you have a problem with it, it is a problem. Otherwise, I don't see the harm.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I actually drank a small bottle of marsala cooking wine one night. It tasted NASTY but I drank it. It was old too. I found it in the cupboard behind the oils. Sad really.
Be careful.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

In terms of preparation methods and times, their results were as follows (all of these assume the temperature is above 173° F, which is the boiling point of alcohol; also, the size of dish and contents of the food mixture affect the results, so this is just a general guideline):

The highest rates of retention were with alcohol added to boiling liquid and then shortly after removed from heat. In this case, the alcohol retention rate was around 85%.
The second highest alcohol retention rate came when using the flaming method of cooking, which resulted in around a 75% retention level.
When using no heat and storing overnight, about 70% of the alcohol was retained.
When baked for 25 minutes with the mixture not being stirred, the retention rate was 45%.
When baked/simmered where the mixture is stirred, produced the following results:
15 minutes 40%
30 minutes 35%
1 hour 25%
1.5 hours 20%
2 hours 10%
2.5 hours 5%

Now, you might think from this that if you cooked the thing long enough, eventually the alcohol will all get cooked out. From a practical standpoint, this is more or less true. But if you are ever cooking for or are a recovering alcoholic, you’ll want to know, it’s not really true. There will always be some alcohol remaining as long as there is still any kind of moisture in whatever you are cooking. The reason behind this is that the alcohol binds with water and forms an azeotrope (mixture of two or more compounds where the ratio cannot be changed by simple distillation). So as you boil the azeotrope, the ratio of alcohol in the compound stays the same throughout the boiling process. So you will always retain some alcohol, unless you boil off all the liquid.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm making Lasagna right now, and yes, wine is going in the sauce. Like as said earlier, the alcohol cooks off. Rum cake on the other hand would be a much different story
Old 08-23-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol does NOT all burn off.

This from US Department of Agriculture showing the amount of alcohol retained after cooking.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
Baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes cooking time 40%
30 minutes cooking time 35%
1 hour cooking time 25%
1.5 hours cooking time 20%
2 hours cooking time 10%
2.5 hours cooking time 5%
Old 08-23-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always use wine when making homemade pasta sauce or lasagna. I just buy a 4 pack of the mini bottles, only 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup goes into a big stockpot, and I give the rest to my husband. It doesn't trigger me, as I wouldn't drink wine to begin with.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did consider this when I got Sober, the only way I thought I could do it was if I went and bought the mini bottles, as a full bottle in my kitchen only to be used for cooking would have been an issue, however then I considered I'd have to go to the alcohol aisle at the store to pick up this wine!!

. . . and so the whole idea was scrapped and I have never re opened the question since!!
Old 08-23-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No, I don't

For recioes with wine I use red or white grape juice with (respectively) red or white wine vinegar.

For other kinds of recipes using spirits (e.g. cakes or deserts with rum or brandy) I leave the spirit out, or if the recipe is based on that for flavour, I make something else.

For myself, am an alcoholic of the allergy based variety. I don't therefore knowingly take alcohol in any form. Not even in the deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, or should the need arisem the cough medicine I use! It just is not worth any potential consequences for me personally.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

No I never cook with wine.I never eat food with wine in.

As has already been said the Alcohol does not all burn off.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Anna;4856433]Alcohol does NOT all burn off.

Well I'll take back my words. Sorry to misinform.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Even small traces of alcohol can make cravings a lot more intense.

Why risk it?
Old 08-23-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't have any wine in my house. If I bought some for a recipe it would be much too tempting. When I used to cook with wine, it was 2 drops for the recipe and the rest for me....
Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
I have used regular wine in a few recipes without any triggers coming up. But I make sure to dump the remainder or give it to someone else to drink so it isn't hanging around.

I've also replaced white wine with chicken broth in several recipes and the food has tasted just as good. Couldn't tell the difference.

I think better safe than sorry is the way to go if you are at all uncertain!
.....I haven't cooked with wine in over 2 years, but I love your idea. Because a few dishes I haven't made in a 2 years either. I'll only make if I have wine drinkers coming for dinner, or like you suggested dump it. The thought of dumping it feels as though throwing $ down the drain, better $ then temptation though.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't dare to do it yet, and I'm not sure if I will. Wine was my drink of choice.

I've eaten rum raisin ice-cream with no problems. I keep vanilla extract and mouthwash around. No issues there.

There's just no way I could be ok with buying wine for any reason.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

If I'm not honest then I'll be lying so here I go (a few know what I'm going to say) I have always had cider vinegar on salads as much as I have onion vinegar on my chips I have considered this but I can't stress this enough I have no I'll effect from this and that's me being totally honest I also have Chinese cooking wine that isn't for drinking but neither is alcohol gel I've never done that my sister says yets but I say if my sobriety was in my mind at anyway at risk I would do something about it like I done today that strenght gives me the heart to write this now

In all fairness I hardly use the Chinese 1 as I'm on a diet anyway that being said no I don't have I'll effect because of this

I knew writing this some will say relapse I've had all that from the start of my sobriety I respect everyone and I got sober somehow and I love it

If iI saw it as a risk I wouldn't do it

If you are not sure my advice is never attempt this as i didn't do it for that

It was more and I'm serious here OK I get it no drinking I'm not drinking but don't take my food from me

Ie chinese food and summer salads with cider vinegar

I wouldnt go near alcohol chocs, brandy sauce etc

Weird I know but I got sober like this I'm not advising or advocating I'm being honest I'm being me and that's all I can be
Old 08-23-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I cook with wine I didn't for a time mostly I flame then in it goes. Flaming can be done with greater effect than stated by boiling then igniting, it then mainly goes into stews etc.
I dont worry about the alcohol content after boiling burning and diluting.
I wouldn't on the other hand eat my Grandmas sherry trifle or un cooked creams with spirits or fortified wine, anything that could give a warming alcohol feel.
I've never been drunk on lasagne .
It is worth thinking about even if just to question motives for having a bottle of wine etc
I miss one alcohol just for the food aspect and never drank it for alcohol.
A handfull of chocholate raisins and a sip of whisky was delicious.
I will never have it again as I don't drink alcohol. But I know to be weary, and it's just not worth the risk.
John.