Notices

Do you cook with cooking wine?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Cooked with cheap wine......and drank half the bottle many times.......it's not the booze in the food that would worry me......
Old 08-24-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

INCLUDING the Marsala....who said gross......mmmm mmmmm I can taste it right now.......(glad this thread was started, it's not normal to enjoy and look forward to drinking the crappy wine one is cooking with, is it?)
Old 08-24-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I had a whiskey marinated steak last night and followed it up with a cigar at a bar. I ordered the steak rare as well and had no issue or triggers as a result.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I'd especially like to thank MoS for complicating the matter. I had a debate with myself last night while preparing dinner. It turned pretty good, but not over the top $29.98 a plate pasta dinner.
Hahaha! No need to complicate it. If you have the smallest shred of uncertainty about it then ditch the alcohol! You can still get great results without it.

I speak only for myself
, but I cook with alcohol all the time. One "trick" I use it to not buy anything that I would have ever wanted to drink. Some will say not to cook with something that's not "good enough" to drink but the chefly consensus is that heat and long cooking will destroy the subtlety to the point that you can't tell much diff between a really good wine and a cheapish one. My experience says this is pretty much the case.

It doesn't trigger me at all. But again, this is just my experience. I can be around booze all I want it doesn't bother me. My "triggers" are more situations than just the presence of booze. For instance one of the things that makes me crave booze the most is seeing an actor I especially like drinking onscreen. That's much worse than sniffing a glass of really good Cab! I have no idea why.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

[QUOTE=Noolan;4858729]I had a whiskey marinated steak last night and followed it up with a cigar at a bar. I ordered the steak rare as well and had no issue or triggers as a result.[/
QUOTE]

Love your honesty but did you see my posts ?

It came down on how much I hate alcohol and I kinda just let thoght what am I doinng I hate alcohol
Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Fruit juice has alcohol, but not enough to cause a problem. Cooking with wine, if it causes a problem, don't do it. If drinking fruit juice cause a problem, don't do it. It seems real easy to me. Quezi » How much alcohol is in orange juice?.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=soberwolf;4858933]
Originally Posted by Noolan View Post
I had a whiskey marinated steak last night and followed it up with a cigar at a bar. I ordered the steak rare as well and had no issue or triggers as a result.[/
QUOTE]

Love your honesty but did you see my posts ?

It came down on how much I hate alcohol and I kinda just let thoght what am I doinng I hate alcohol
I just happened to have a dish prepared in booze and decided to share. It wasn't specifically directed at you, friend. Whatever keeps us sober
Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

love this thread.

This is a topic I have thought about and researched. Anything that triggers me is bad for me. . . so whatever that happens to be. I choose to not eat foods prepped with alcohol and I'm pretty strict about it. If I were allergic to peanuts, would I cook with peanut oil or peanut butter hoping that it wouldn't trigger an allergy? NOPE! To me, it isn't any difference.

My naturopath wanted me to use a tincture she made that was in a base of vodka. I said no. She promised me that the tincture would help me more than trigger me. SHE has never had to detox. SHE has never had to deal with the compulsion and relapse. Yet, she insisted I use her vodka based tincture. So I chose to fire her and find a new doctor who understands addiction a little bit better.

Love this thread. Lots of good info and discussion. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I cook with wine. In fact, i have a bottle of sherry, a bottle of marsala and a bottle of white wine in my kitchen. So long as i don't find myself looking at them crosswise, i'm not concerned. I don't taste alcohol in my cooking so it doesn't trigger me. I've cooked with alcohol free wine in the past when i haven't felt right about having a bottle of wine in the house. If i start looking at wine funny then there's something very, very wrong. So long as i am honest about my intentions with the wine, i am okay. Honesty is extremely vital to my recovery and so far, it's allowed me to be okay with the wine. I don't ever use it raw so i'm very careful about desserts when i go out. My husband is my taste tester, lol. I've even turned down a rum laced fudge that he thought was okay. It didn't have a bite to it but the rum flavor was just too strong!