Notices

Went to a Meeting = Awesome

Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to a Meeting = Awesome

Reluctantly I went to my first AA meeting last night. I was really nervous since I am not very social with strangers, but then I realized that we are not strangers. We are all in the same boat. My experience was so positive that I am looking forward to going back. WTH, I even got phone numbers and hugs after the meeting. Very encouraged today. Is this normal?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

What a great post to read.

I felt the same after my first meeting,I was also reluctant to go.Glad you got some phone numbers,don't hesitate to use them.I think a lot of people feel the same,to realise you are no longer alone and one of the AA sayings I like is,there are no strangers here only friends you haven't met yet.

Wishing you well.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic stuff!!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by bigsky320 View Post
Reluctantly I went to my first AA meeting last night. I was really nervous since I am not very social with strangers, but then I realized that we are not strangers. We are all in the same boat. My experience was so positive that I am looking forward to going back. WTH, I even got phone numbers and hugs after the meeting. Very encouraged today. Is this normal?
Yes - that's hope your seeing and feeling!
Good for you!

I have been working this program for 76 days. Promises are coming true rapidly.....

" sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly - but they will always come true".

I found simple is best for me - that took awhile as there is a lot of info flying around.

I have come to look at it this way ( not my original thoughts)

We are sick. The big book is the medicine(for some).

The prescription to take is how it works. The rest is info about the prescription including warning labels.

Relax - first things first and enjoy the gifts that will come your way.

It HURTS, then it works

Peace
Old 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and good for you! Isn’t it great to be among people who understand?
The more I went and listened the more help I got because I didn’t know what I didn’t know.
I’ve been going for a lot of years and still look forward to MY meetings each week. They are a big part of my recovery one day at a time.

BE WELL
Old 08-23-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by bigsky320 View Post
Reluctantly I went to my first AA meeting last night. Very encouraged today. Is this normal?
Yes.

Thanks for posting this. You may have done more good than you realize, by shortening the time it takes for some other frightened individual to attend.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I couldn't have done it on my own if it wasn't for the initial contact with aa
Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice one Big Sky

It's a huge relief to find out your not the only one isn't it
Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations Bigsky!
It may be a magic turn for all your life!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is normal and it feels good. I always look at meetings as a respite and solace from the day to day. It's nice to be among people who know what I'm going through.

My biggest mistake was in not using the phone numbers I was given. I was shy. I didn't want to burden people with my phone calls. I started isolating again and relapsed. So please use the numbers to build an army of supporters!

Good for you and thank you for sharing!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can tell you as my first meeting finished 1/2 an hour ago. I finally decided I needed to get help and involve others in my recovery

What was it like, walking in was difficult and embarrassing and I nearly turned back a couple of times but bit the bullet those others who are part of this journey namely my family deserved it

How did I feel, I was very emotional to see people open up so frankly about there history and experiences was enlightening as I could see so much of where I was heading in some of there stories and warnings.

It was heartening to see no judgement and a lot of understanding and support from others in the group. I don't really know how it all works or when I will be ready to share,

But I will go back again and hope this program can help me.

As a plus I think my wife was happy that I went and she sees me accepting my problem

My key item is it is good to know you are not alone and there is an outlet to discuss you issues in a non prejudicial arena and yes I was given numbers day one and I found this to be extreamly generous here I am this guy off street who when introduced himself was given an applause for just having finally relised I need help