Notices

3rd Time's The Charm

Old 08-22-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd Time's The Charm

Ok, I'm ready to give sobriety a try again. Scratch that...I'm determined to NEVER drink again. Here's a brief history:

Tried tapering off booze back about 3 or 4 months ago. Ended up in the ER diagnosed with acute alcohol withdrawal. They prescribed me oxazepam (a God send) and it worked great. I was highly focused and literally had zero desire to drink. The pain with the withdrawals was so bad I swore I'd never put myself through that again. I never truly committed to never drinking again, though. I thought one day I'd be able to BBQ with a beer or two. Or enjoy a half a bottle of wine during a movie. Well, I made it 28 days. That 28th day was the best I had felt in YEARS. Lost 25lbs, was full of energy, bounding out of bed every morning...all that good stuff. So I rewarded myself...I bought a bottle of wine. I nursed that bottle for two days. Never even got a buzz. That's when it finally hit home...it's not the wine/vodka/whiskey I like so much. I like being drunk.

I love it. I love that numb feeling. I love how freeing it feels. How it helps me relax. Like a bottle full of magic.

So that one bottle quickly reverted back to my old drinking volumes. That lasted about a month and I decided I had slid enough. I quit again.

2nd quit lasted about a week and a half. That was about a month and a half ago. Nightly drinking, deep buzz. Gained all my weight back, poor sleep, no motivation or energy. I've had enough. Today is the day I stop the slide. Went back to the doc and he prescribed me some pills. And this time I have a plan.

Diet: I learned all about green tea and B vitamins during my first dry up. I stocked up on them tonight. Plus I've found a local support group at a church. It's not AA but it's about addiction. Im also renewing my relationship with Jesus.

This isn't easy, but it is exciting. There are only pros to quiting the drink...no cons. I can't wait until I'm completely in control of my life and not dependent on any substance. Thank you all for your support. Here's to sobriety!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!! You can do this!!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're ready to make this work!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It sounds like you're ready to make this work!
Absolutely. I just turned 33 and have a 14 year old son. I have a lot of people who depend on me to be strong...to be a rock. Day 1 starts now.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd also like to add that my job does random drug and breathalyzer tests. It's such a relief knowing I won't have to worry about the breathalyzer after drinking a large quantity of booze the night before.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wow the bit I loved most was give it another go

scratch that im determined to never drink again

WOW
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

JT
Awesome outlook, you can do this, rootin for ya!

Here's to it!! (Raising my glass of ice tea for big airtink)