Notices

Why did you drink?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Mostly because I liked "to party". I drank because it was fun (until it wasn't fun anymore). I drank to get drunk. Final exams are over. It's summer time. Because I got a new job. It's snowing. Because I got fired. My friend had a baby. I'm on vacation. I just got home from a vacation. A hard day at work. A great day at work. So and so pissed me off. It's the dogs birthday. It's Wednesday. Because I'm eating Mexican food. It's a holiday. Blah blah blah.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

As someone wise once said, "Deep pleasure."
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Why we drink is a complex question. What I've found while struggling through this disease and researching this disease is that incredibly intelligent people are prone to it. Many of the most intelligent people in the history of this world have been alcoholics. When you talk to a fellow alcoholic, I find that more often than not, they seem to be a very smart individual with an IQ that seems to be well over the median of this population.

So why do we drink? Is it because this world bores us and pains us to that point? I'm led to believe that.

The alcoholics who do abstain are champions whom have chosen to endure this world in an uphill battle with true purpose.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Love the feelings I get from alcohol, as long as I'm drinking. The next day it's all taken away and depression sets in.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpartanGreen View Post
The alcoholics who do abstain are champions whom have chosen to endure this world in an uphill battle with true purpose.
I've found sobriety allows me to relish life and this world rather than "endure" it. I'd hate to be sober and feel like I'm "enduring" this world and in an uphill battle. I personally don't feel that way at all. "Free" is probably the best way I can describe sobriety.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Quite simply, I drank because it felt good and eased my mind...... towards the end it was just barely still "working", but my drinking frequency and dosage had gone up considerably compared to when i first started.

i can't really think of any other reason: it just felt soooooooo good......... until it mysteriously "stopped" working, that is.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I wish I could pinpoint one thing, one reason, one problem, one trauma, anxiety, depression, mental instability, etc., that I could hang my hat on about why I drank. I got tired of trying to figure this out. I'm with doggoneCarl on this one. I'm an addict. I have to deal with that. I'm not wasting any more mental energy on the whys.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I've found sobriety allows me to relish life and this world rather than "endure" it. I'd hate to be sober and feel like I'm "enduring" this world and in an uphill battle. I personally don't feel that way at all. "Free" is probably the best way I can describe sobriety.
this^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-23-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpartanGreen
Why we drink is a complex question. What I've found while struggling through this disease and researching this disease is that incredibly intelligent people are prone to it. Many of the most intelligent people in the history of this world have been alcoholics. When you talk to a fellow alcoholic, I find that more often than not, they seem to be a very smart individual with an IQ that seems to be well over the median of this population.

So why do we drink? Is it because this world bores us and pains us to that point? I'm led to believe that.

I would say i agree with this as well, but my theory on why this is is different.......

The typical low-IQ/celebrity worshiping/sports-obsessed/smart-phone drone types we encounter on the street or in our everyday lives that seem to make up 70% or more of the population do not need "help" to be happy. Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes. If a person can't think past their nose, it only makes sense that they will generally be in a better mood - no worries, no uncomfortable thoughts, and so on.

However, the smarter one is, the more informed you are, the more knowledge you acquire........... the more you realize just how bad things really are, the more likely you are to look for some way to check out of this depressing reality or otherwise numb yourself to it. I'm sure boredom is also a part of it, but i think most of it goes back to just wanting to "check out" for whatever reason. "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow"

Basically, being "happy" is rather easy for a dumb person......... but not so easy for a smart or high-IQ person. And as a result smarter people tend to need a little "help" to feel happy or relax etc....... enter drugs and alcohol.

There's also the social isolation aspect too, i've noticed that dumb people have little trouble making and keeping friends........ but it is harder for smarter/higher-IQ people to find people to mingle with since as mentioned above, most of the population seems to fall under the "dumb" category.

That's a theory i've been thinking about anyways, it seems to add up judging by the relatively few smart people i've had the pleasure of knowing.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I would say i agree with this as well, but my theory on why this is is different.......

However, the smarter one is, the more informed you are, the more knowledge you acquire........... the more you realize just how bad things really are, the more likely you are to look for some way to check out of this depressing reality or otherwise numb yourself to it. I'm sure boredom is also a part of it, but i think most of it goes back to just wanting to "check out" for whatever reason. "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow"
I'm sure you're aware that correlation does not imply causation. There are many factors that may cause unhappiness, sadness etc. Environment, experiences, even genetics are factors. I suspect intelligence contributes very little to one's overall happiness or lack of.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by lbrain View Post
i initially drank because i liked the buzz. Over the years i drank because it was there. Didn't need or want a reason.
+1
Old 08-23-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I guess it crept up on me over time. I was shy and didn't party in high school, so when I moved away to college I made up for it by partying hard. The heavy drinking kept getting worse after college was over.

Also, the hangovers I got were very mild, so I didn't have that negative feedback to keep myself from drinking.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

A more intriguing and poignant question as it relates to this particular forum would be "why did you stop?" What was the catalyst that made you put down the sauce?

This forces the responder and especially a new comer to look through the windshield of his mind for an answer instead of through the "rearview" mirror. Don't tell me what you've done. Tell me what you are doing to remain clean and sober.

Is that not why we're all here?

There are a myriad of reasons why people choose to drink; none of which are beneficial to the individual practicing teetotalism. Is it not more interesting and beneficial to read one story about what someone does to strengthen and sustain their sobriety than it is to read a dozen stories about alcoholism?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Great thread ...

I started abusing alcohol hard because I found myself in a lifestyle that literally revolved around it. And it was FUN. All night parties and cocktail bars .... exotic places and people and days upon days of hedonism and pure "id" living.

Then, one day, it wasn't fun anymore. It was tortuous and began to rob me of everything and everyone. As easily as it gave me those things it took them away.

It really was that simple for me. I stopped because ultimately life isn't a non-stop party and it was going to kill me. Quickly. I reached a point that I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to be drunk.

I don't regret that decision for one minute. I relish the fun times I had and the people I met and the once in a lifetime moments but I cherish my sober life, simple and full, much more.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

I drank for the same reason I stopped, it just seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

To pretend my reality wasn't real.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
So I've been doing a lot of thinking about why I drank and have urges to drink phychologically. I started after my girlfriend at the time cheated on me and left me with a flat I could not leave or afford on my own. The fear of being alone and being homeless again (my greatest fear) sent me into a spiral of panic attacks and drinking to prevent those panic attacks. Ironically the more I drank the worse my anxiety became when I wasn't drinking, it was a vicious cycle.

So for me the no 1 reason was anxiety.

If you don't know why you drank, then that's something to discuss/think about. I'm of the opinion that by understanding the reasons you're better equipped to fill the gap left by alcohol.
Because like much of society, I was brainwashed and conditioned from a young age to believe alcohol was a cool, adult thing to do, that it was a fun time, that it would make me cool, make me edgy, make me fun, relieve stress, calm me down, be a social pastime, etc. Eventually I brainwashed myself into believing I liked the taste and how it made me feel. Unfortunately for me (and many others), alcohol is quite addictive and I fell deep, deep into that pit.

As it turns out, none of what I was taught about alcohol was true. None of what I convinced myself about what alcohol did for me was true. Stripping away the lies about the drug and finally seeing the realities of it has done wonders in eliminating my desire to drink anymore. Quite frankly, there is no reason on the planet that exists, good, bad or whatever, that could ever be good enough for me to drink again. So I won't. And I'm not missing out on anything, that's for sure.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Neglect as a child and being screwed over as an a adult. I'm not depressed, I'm angry. Alcohol relaxes me. Not a good reason but so far it's worked.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I would say i agree with this as well, but my theory on why this is is different....... The typical low-IQ/celebrity worshiping/sports-obsessed/smart-phone drone types we encounter on the street or in our everyday lives that seem to make up 70% or more of the population do not need "help" to be happy. Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes. If a person can't think past their nose, it only makes sense that they will generally be in a better mood - no worries, no uncomfortable thoughts, and so on. However, the smarter one is, the more informed you are, the more knowledge you acquire........... the more you realize just how bad things really are, the more likely you are to look for some way to check out of this depressing reality or otherwise numb yourself to it. I'm sure boredom is also a part of it, but i think most of it goes back to just wanting to "check out" for whatever reason. "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow" Basically, being "happy" is rather easy for a dumb person......... but not so easy for a smart or high-IQ person. And as a result smarter people tend to need a little "help" to feel happy or relax etc....... enter drugs and alcohol. There's also the social isolation aspect too, i've noticed that dumb people have little trouble making and keeping friends........ but it is harder for smarter/higher-IQ people to find people to mingle with since as mentioned above, most of the population seems to fall under the "dumb" category. That's a theory i've been thinking about anyways, it seems to add up judging by the relatively few smart people i've had the pleasure of knowing.
This is what I've been saying for so long, thank the cosmos that someone actually thinks this way. I have always been a smart person and was pushed a grade ahead early on. I'm the most depressed and anxious person out of my entire social circle, my "hyper-awareness" is also my biggest downfall. I'm a wreck at times. All of the thoughts get overwhelming at times, and watching the stupidity of America taking place around me makes me even more depressed. No I'm not a genius and there is tons of topics I know nothing about at the moment, but this theory is very accurate. It's also in my family were all a bunch of Irishmen and women. I've also expanded my level of consciousness and self awareness with the use of psychedelic drugs. I haven't tripped out in a long while, but it's all still there. My first heavy LSD experience made me see the world in such an intensely weaved and intricate way. I can see thru most people like glass and can sense emotion (good or bad) very easily. It's been tagged with my Capricorn tendencies but yea, I really agree with you here. It's depressing and being ignorant to the truths of what's taking place here allows other humans to sorta "blindly" walk around with a big smile.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

To ease anxiety, to escape bad events that took place, to feel like "I just don't care" (and "not caring" about anything while drunk = sober anxiety is 100x worse), stressful day at work, to get to sleep, also to celebrate birthdays, holidays etc. But I feel that it has always been a form of escape rather than a desire to have fun.