Notices

Tired of this

Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of this

I'm sick of waking up in the morning wondering what I've emailed, texted or put on Facebook. It's not bad stuff normally just stuff I wouldn't say or don't need to send or put out there. I'm tired of waking up tired because I didn't really sleep. I'm tired of not remembering going to bed or waking up on the couch. My drinking is way out of control. More than ever. I desperately want to change that.

Today I'm going to make a strong effort not to drink. As soon as I get up I'm pouring out the rest of the vodka. I can and will do this once and for all. I'm tired of playing games with it.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sinderos that is a good plan, what's next?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do it! Get rid of all the alcohol in the house!
Sober mornings are such a gift, I have not started to take them for granted at all. Commit to not drinking today. When you feel urges reach out for support. SR is a great place to come "hide" when you Addictive Voice is knocking on the door.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great idea!
Get thru the first day without drinking then tackle the 2nd,etc
I can relate to every word you write and it is truly not worth it. Sober mornings and good sleep are the best
Old 08-22-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What's next? I honestly don't know. I've failed at quitting so many times. Once I made it about 64 days and made the mistake of having "just one drink". I have started attending a church in the last 2 weeks. I moved to a new city 3 months ago and don't really know anyone. I am actually making an effort to meet people and get out of the house. I know that will help me not to drink.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sinderos I have done that so many times. I know how you feel. This crazy behaviour needs to stop once and for all

Stay sober today.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
What's next? I honestly don't know. I've failed at quitting so many times. Once I made it about 64 days and made the mistake of having "just one drink". I have started attending a church in the last 2 weeks. I moved to a new city 3 months ago and don't really know anyone. I am actually making an effort to meet people and get out of the house. I know that will help me not to drink.
Quitting can be hit or miss unless you have a plan. Think about why you had that drink last time.

You know you can't ever drink, and if you don't accept that, or at least make it your goal, it will be hard stick to sobriety.

If you do succeed waking up with no hangover or regrets will be a fabulous reward.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Believe that it will be different this time, and it will be different.

Pakman
Old 08-22-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you made it 64 days once, you know you can do it again, and then go WAY beyond, like never drinking again. I haven't been here long, but long enough to learn a new term, Addictive Voice, AV. Don't listen to that voice telling you just one will be ok. It is your alcohol addiction trying to fool you rational mind. We here have all heard it. Be Strong, post here a lot. Plenty of support.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
My drinking is way out of control. More than ever. I desperately want to change that.

Today I'm going to make a strong effort not to drink.
I understand your intent, but phrasing it the way you have leaves wiggle room. What I mean is, you can drink and claim you didn't make a strong enough effort. But next time, you'll try harder.

I think the statement you need to make to kick off your sobriety is this:

I am not going to drink. Ever.

Then do everything in your power to uphold that statement.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck and know we are all here with you on this journey. You are not alone. Reach out when you need help. Early days I hung out in the chat room a lot. The people here offer great support and ideas. For me, every day, I made a new commitment. I will not drink today. Forever for me was to far away. One day at a time, I can do this. I am proud of you for making a decision to change your life. The sober life is great.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A new town - in Florida? How about taking up some outdoor activity?

Scuba diving? Kayaking, bird watching, fishing, sailing, surfing. Lots of opportunity to meet people while getting involved in life.

AA meetings are a good place.

Water color classes, sculpture, drawing classes, book readings, learn to do upholstery, volunteer at an animal shelter or a food bank or a nursing home.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Quitting can be hit or miss unless you have a plan. Think about why you had that drink last time.

You know you can't ever drink, and if you don't accept that, or at least make it your goal, it will be hard stick to sobriety.

If you do succeed waking up with no hangover or regrets will be a fabulous reward.
It truly is a fabulous reward. I love love love love waking up without a hangover, with no regrets, no stomach ache, puffy eyes, bad breath, self loathing, bloatedness.....

Alcohol has not helped me in any shape or form.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good luck Sinderos, drinking is ****
Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by huntingtontx View Post
Good luck and know we are all here with you on this journey. You are not alone. Reach out when you need help. Early days I hung out in the chat room a lot. The people here offer great support and ideas. For me, every day, I made a new commitment. I will not drink today. Forever for me was to far away. One day at a time, I can do this. I am proud of you for making a decision to change your life. The sober life is great.
I agree. One day at a time. Forever scares the hell out of me and makes me feel like I will fail already. But to break it down to 24 hours makes it manageable
Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Don't 'try' to not drink today. DON'T drink. Just today. today, you are NOT going to drink. Say it, and mean it.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I use to try and find that space between wake and sleep so I didn't have to feel the anxiety of what id sent or said the night before via email, sms, or what id done (smashed windows etc) ... its an awful way to live, and yes waking up on the couch, going to work after drinking 3 bottles of wine so hungover....
but not anymore:-) stay strong, make a plan...
Old 08-22-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have formulated a plan. I threw out all alcohol and took the trash to the dumpster so my house is alcohol free. I emailed an old friend who is a recovering addict and we've exchanged phone numbers. I'm going to start a support group and I'm going to become active in church as well as a professional organization that is work related. I am doing it this time. I will not drink today.

I know for a fact that I can never drink again. I am going to do this.

(I moved back to Alabama from Florida three months ago. I just need to update my profile.)
Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
learning to live

Sinderos, you have made a GREAT decision to STOP drinking.

Your life will improve sooo much and you'll never have to wake up with all that dread again!

You CAN do this! Sounds like a good plan to me
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great stuff Sinderos!! You can do this!!