Notices

Trying to be strong

Old 08-22-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to be strong

How do you stop trying trying to convince yourself if you allow yourself to drink this time will be different? You won't drink too much this time, you won't wake up hung over or in pain, it won't affect your diet too much, you will be able to stop after 3, you won't do something stupid, you won't feel guilt, etc. Trying to be strong here and know it's for the best to stay away from alcohol, but it isn't easy.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I needed to get honest with myself about my drinking and then accept the fact I cannot drink alcohol in SAFTY.
It’s that simple, not always easy.

BE WELL
Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I soooo know what you mean! I had this type of thinking for so long. It NEVER worked out. I always drank more then I intended and I always ended up having some type of negative consequence. The change for me happened when the consequences kept getting more and more dangerous. Towards the end of my active drinking I wrecked my car because I was driving drunk; now I'm paying outrageous insurance. The final event for me was falling, hitting my head and winding up in the intensive care unit of the hospital for awhile. I was able to find a great plastic surgeon for my head/face,but I do live daily with the effects of a brain injury. It sucks; but sobriety doesn't!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by nwmxcn View Post
How do you stop trying trying to convince yourself if you allow yourself to drink this time will be different?
I had to do what they say in the rooms; more research. It was very long, painful and costly, for many. I wish it had been faster and easier but some of us are just too damn stubborn.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Once I learned that is how addiction works, I quit falling for the lies. The lies I was feeding myself.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I stopped lying to myself thinking that I could moderate my drinking.

I now admit that I am powerless over alcohol. Its like a heroin addiction and my life is better without it. not even a glass of wine..
Old 08-22-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

have a look at things that havent happend YET !!!

have you been to prison yet ?
have you lost your wife yet ?
have you lost your family yet ?
have you lost your job yet ?
have you been in hospital yet ?
have you lost your life yet ?

make a list of things you love or care about or what you really wouldn't like to lose in your life that you currently have

as there is one cast iron promise, carry on drinking and you will lose more and more over time, it all depends how much your willing to lose ?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
I now admit that I am powerless over alcohol.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcohol-3.html

Sounds like a yeah vote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have (had) the same line of thinking for last 20 or so years. Always believing that this time i can control myself. 6000 times later, out of the blue, BOOM, acceptance of what I've known all alone. I'm lying to myself. It wasn't any special event or any special trigger. It just happened. In the past, when I stopped drinking it was always like, "I'll stop for a week." or "I'll stop during Lent". But, for whatever reason, this time I said, you need to stop for good. I can only attribute it to higher power.

I know this is not much of an advise. But, I sincerely hope that this happens for you sooner than later.

pakman
Old 08-22-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great thread! Thanks
Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At the top of this forum page, there is a thread called "Understand Acronyms", click on it and the fourth one down is AV, addictive voice. I'm pretty new here, and there are people here that can explain it better, but that is exactly what you are experiencing. You rational mind knows you should not drink, but that Addictive Voice is telling you that you can. Very difficult to fight, but when you know your enemy, you are better prepared to deal with him. Good Luck, be strong.

Last edited by NorMar; 08-22-2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: clairity
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Now I know why I joined this site. Tajik you all for your insight and support. It's helpful knowing that what I'm going through is normal and has a name...AV!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Once I boiled everything down to the question of why would anything be different? what has changed in a matter of weeks or months? how could the results be any different?

The other thing is to get a second opinion on things, so posting here on SR and reaching out for support BEFORE doing anything is a great idea!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think pretty much everyone in here has tried what you suggest (OPer), and failed. Miserably. Always.

It doesn't work. We can't, and you can't either. If you could, you certainly wouldn't be signed in and posting here. That's for damn sure.