Notices

Has your alcohol abuse caused you to be homeless?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has your alcohol abuse caused you to be homeless?

I am 17 days sober but it's bad. Or gotten bad.

I lost my job 4 months ago and went on drinking what was almost left of my money.

I overdrafted my card, my mom and aunt wont answer my calls, blacked out and threatened my sponsor (who I was supposed to move in with) I was going to hurt myself and now hes mad at me too. I cant pay rent because I am around 470$ shy of being able to pay it. And I spent the last of my momey on food and now have 4 slices of bread, a can of corn and 1 potatoe. Dont even have a vehicle to live in and whats left of friends either live with mom or have roomates.

How did any of you bounce back from something like this?

I am going to meetings everyday, have found a nice church I go to wed, sat, sun, and at least getting unemployment from workforce solutions. I just dont want to throw my things, clothes, blankets, dimnerware away. I already have so little. But I am sober and have no desire to drink.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never been in that position, NevarCiots, but it would have been inevitable if I hadn't stopped. Many people have battled back from your position or even worse. Realize that as tough as things are now, your circumstances can be improved radically if you stay sober.

I hope some others can chime in with constructive ideas. First thing obviously is not to drink! Would any of your friends be able to store some stuff you, short term? Can you salvage the relationships with your mom or aunt? If you're like the rest of us you have probably disappointed them many times, but they're still family. Your church might have some resources to help and many communities have some homelessness-avoidance programs.

It's just so so so critical to protect your sobriety! Drinking has brought you down low but it will take you lower still if you let it. As much as it's already taken it hasn't taken your life. Don't give it the chance to.

Hang in there, NevarCiots! In sobriety there is hope.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it can only be uphill from here, make the decision to make it that!! Its too much love in the world for you, but you must love yourself first before anyone can give that to you. Everybody cares for you, def hang in there man there is hope for everyone
Old 08-21-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i just wasted 300$ of my girl's money on studio time and working on showing her it was not in vein and that it would never be that circumstance again, let this be the catapult of your future success! You have all of our support, and will def be in my thoughts
Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I nearly burnt my house down twice

My 2 uncles died this way I was told stories of them as in didn't meet them and my other uncle dads side died in Australia of a heroin overdose

Good luck
Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the support. The worst situation I have been in. I will do my best at finding a way but I will not drink. Makes one lazy then POOF its too late.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. I have no idea what help is available to you over there, but thinking of you and wishing you well x
Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Definitely it's worth checking into the social services you may have in your state. And your church might be willing and able to help. I don't know the family situation; maybe you've pushed them too far, I dunno. But long term I hope your relationship with them can be salvaged.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too have no true personal experience with such a case, and though it may look bleak, it's important to keep in mind that for all the bad that could happen just as much good can too.

Next time something good does happen make sure not to miss it. sometimes all we have are the little things
Old 08-22-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

reads like a vary hard and stressful situation for ya and im sorry to read of it.
but glad to read about meetings and church.
trusting God and putting in the footwork to better me and my life is how I got out from under. it wasn't in my time, but Gods. beena pretty awesome journey to date!
prayers out for ya!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

No, I haven't. Thanks for the post. Great reminder for me to read.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nevar, I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sounds startlingly like what happened to me. I had lost my job because of being in and out of detoxes and my drinking spiraled from there. Eventually, I lost my apartment and yes, was technically homeless, sleeping on couches and facing staying at a shelter.

My situation only got better when I stopped drinking. When family saw that I was making an effort, a REAL effort to stop drinking and find a job, I was allowed to sleep at my dad's until I got back on my feet. I sincerely hope your family will see strides you're making and offer something similar, because there's little else more terrifying than the prospect of not knowing where you're going to lay your head at night.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Either way, you'll be in my thoughts.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sure some have done it but we don't hear from them here (no phone/computer/money). I have been homeless drunk and always found a way to drink ( boosting ) so I'm sure if being sober were my focus I could find a way. I have also witnessed folks make the transition from shelter to work to housing--I could never wait. I also know a guy who lives in a tent, works and commutes by bike and pub trans to a Zen Center twice weekly and has a very solid practice ( Buddhism prohibits imbibing ). Many have multiple homes and WILL not put the plug in the jug. You can do this!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NevarCiots View Post
I am 17 days sober but it's bad. Or gotten bad.

I lost my job 4 months ago and went on drinking what was almost left of my money.

I overdrafted my card, my mom and aunt wont answer my calls, blacked out and threatened my sponsor (who I was supposed to move in with) I was going to hurt myself and now hes mad at me too. I cant pay rent because I am around 470$ shy of being able to pay it. And I spent the last of my momey on food and now have 4 slices of bread, a can of corn and 1 potatoe. Dont even have a vehicle to live in and whats left of friends either live with mom or have roomates.

How did any of you bounce back from something like this?

I am going to meetings everyday, have found a nice church I go to wed, sat, sun, and at least getting unemployment from workforce solutions. I just dont want to throw my things, clothes, blankets, dimnerware away. I already have so little. But I am sober and have no desire to drink.
i bounced back because i gave up the drink : )

when i came to the rooms of aa i had nothing left other than a flat that was given to me by a hostel run group
i was in danger of loseing that as i was still drinking and if that went then i would be out on the streets
i had no family alive that could bail me out, my ex wife has gone off with another drunk
my older kids didnt want to know me anymore as i was just such an emarrassment for them
my younger kids had been removed from our care and placed on foster care

at one time i had my own businees and a lot of money in the bank and now here i was in a pit of hell all because i couldnt get of the drink

the more i drank the more i would lose as people just get sick of you or trying to help you

how did i bounce back ?
daily
when i finaly had enough of the drink it took me 4 days to dry out trying to sleep the days away as the shakes were to bad
it took me about a week or more before i could have a shave as my hands shook to violently
i went to the rooms of aa and the people there helped me, they gave me money for food, they came and helped me clean up my flat, they gave me lifts to meetings, they sat with me in my flat and just kept me company

i started to look for work and got a job within 3 months
after 12 months i got my kids back out of care and was able to have a home now that i could rent for us all to live in

i just kept coming back to aa and i got the hope that one day my life would change
i got to see i had to work on me and work outside of me to make the changes

i never thought i would work again in my life, i never thought i would ever see my kids again yet alone have them back under my care
so when things looked at there blackest for me the people in aa kept me going

they made me belive in humanity again as i thought the whole world hated me as thats what i was so used to

it really is a long story my story but i hope you can see that you can come back from anything no matter how low you end up just so long as you dont pick up that first drink
as if you carry on drinking then nothing will ever work and you will just end up losing everything and even die from it

so take it daily and make each day count for you, search for jobs find anything you can do that will pay the rent, but dont give in and pick up a drink on it as you think its not happening fast enough or there is no easy way

this is where i got the help from the aa gang as they would kick me up my backside at times to keep on ramming in that simple message dont pick up that first drink.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Haven't experienced this myself, but great job on committing to Sobriety, you can hopefully bounce back from this!!