Notices

Worried about withdrawal.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about withdrawal.

I'm 28 years old and have been a moderately heavy drinker for some time now. I have never gotten drunk because I NEEDED to. I honestly believe I have continued to drink because I WANTED to.

I've been incredibly selfish and irresponsible about my drinking over the years.

My wife is now seven months pregnant with our first child and I refuse to act like this any longer.

I'm worried about withdrawal and how severe it will be. I've read about seizures. I know I let my hobby go on too long, and it's too late to take any of that back. I'm ready to be a clear-headed human again.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hi, and congratulations on your new arrival, there is no better reason right there.

As for withdrawals, no one knows for sure what to expect but it certainly is advisable to consult your doctor before taking actions into your own hands.

Some people start by tapering down gradually but I found this a form of torture to be honest and could not do it, be safe and congratulations again.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

I checked in with a Dr when I made the decision to quit, it turned out I didn't need any medication, my Dr said it would be safe, but that didn't mean it wasn't tough for the first few weeks as my body adjusted, everyone is different though, so best being safe!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I checked with my Physician. He gave me a prescription that really helped. Can't offer medical advice, but that may help. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Help and support is one thing you will find no shortage of here. Withdrawals can be tough, but vary from person to person. I personally got sober after drinking pretty heavily for more years than you have been alive. You CAN do it. Keep us posted. Welcome.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi NewDad, welcome to the forum.

I quit cold turkey but on hindsight it may have helped me if I'd gone for advice to the doctor.

Good to have you on board.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawals can be unpredictable and it's always a good idea to talk to your dr if you have any concerns. You will find lots of support here.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Everybody different but the facts are its gets better quicker than u think

Congratulations on becoming a dad

New baby wow ! U can do it
Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Withdrawals can vary. I suggest going to your doctor. If you don't have one then try one of the "Emergency" clinics that are so widespread now. They will be able to help you if you are going to have any serious withdrawals.
Coming off long term alcohol use can be difficult but just remember that it doesn't last forever. Come to SR when you are feeling emotionally weak and read some posts. Most everyone here has been in your shoes and we are actively working to break the cycle of addiction.
Congrats on being a new dad! =)
Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all. It's time for me to calm down.

My drinking always stemmed from the atmosphere I found myself in. From the time I was 19, I've worked in an industry where partying and the bar scene were normal and expected. At some point I just allowed myself to believe that drinking a half case of beer every night was a normal and okay thing to do. I blamed stress, my job, my emotions and everything else as an excuse to continue my habit. I've always done it because I like it. But I won't allow myself to be an alcoholic father. The fear of not being able to function clearly when I NEED to is what's making this decision for me.

Thanks again. Any words of encouragement or advice is appreciated!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go see your Dr. and be totally honest about your drinking. Your doctor has probably heard all kinds of similar stories, he/she won't judge you. There are several anti-anxiety drugs out there that can be prescribed to get you safely and comfortably through withdrawl symptoms. I was able to detox at home and it took about 3-4 days and I was ready to get on with a recovery program. Fearing withdrawl symptoms kept me drinking for many years, I wish I had seen my Dr. earlier...it would have saved a lot of self torture. Do yourself a favor and make that appointment.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

With that post I know your going to recover tbh your recovering now and its truly beautiful do u know boy girl ?

I'm not just saying that like that post took the air out my lungs your going to do this my friend well well done !!!!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

UPDATE:

I just woke up on what will be my third day without a drink. Yesterday was my 29th birthday, and this is the first birthday-morning-after without a hangover since before I can remember.

I spoke with my doctor this week and he recommended starting my anxiety medicine again (I had stopped taking it earlier this year) and he had me get some blood work done.

I'm still having some anxiety attacks here and there, but I feel like every day is better.

UNRELATED NOTE:

Wife is 33 weeks along! Baby will be here real soon!

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewDad1985 View Post
UPDATE:
Yesterday was my 29th birthday, and this is the first birthday-morning-after without a hangover since before I can remember.
Isn't that a great feeling!! I had the pleasure of being sober for my past two birthdays. Keep it up, I am rooting for you!