Notices

Who knew recovery was going to be so hard

Old 08-21-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who knew recovery was going to be so hard

In many months of attempting to get clean, many relapses, moments of extreme happiness, moments of despair, grief, success and failure. What I have learned, quitting isn't easy.

I've had to give up lying, do a honest self assessment, give up my ego, seek outside help and support, focus on the day the hour the second at times just to maintain.

I haven't always been successful, recovery from addiction has become a process for me. I've fallen a lot, I've been disingenuous, arrogant,and thought I knew how easy it was all going to be!

Bottom line, it isn't easy, I am struggling daily! I barely have a start and have already started to deal with mental issues, telling people I lied to them, rejecting the opinions of people that have been sober longer ( this is a huge mistake, really listen to those with more time in they will help you), had to face emotional issues, what tempts me, both physically troubling medical issues, and mental medical issues.

This hasn't been easy, I have much to learn still, in any given day I can vacillate between thinking this is easy, and thinking its impossible.

Sincerely glad so many here have helped me and guided me, just thinking hard today! I am still suffering from using the egotistical " I" and relying on my own thinking, but you know you grow and learn daily. Scary world out there, I am trying to face it sober, hope you are too. Please get help if you need it, that is one lesson I want to stress. I neglected this, and still question why people say what they say when I ask for help, but without them I wouldn't be on the path to complete sobriety. So I am learning to respect that and not question it....

Stay safe and sober
Old 08-21-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there TDG!! . . . there will be light at the end of the tunnel!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

honesty is my most difficult hurdle to jump. lying to myself first and foremost. self worth so low i was down to keep the lies up
Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
I can vacillate between thinking this is easy, and thinking its impossible.
And it can turn on a dime. My sobriety felt solid..and then I hit some personal turbulence and suddenly...I felt like I was hanging onto my sobriety by my fingernails. Great post TDG. Keep on keepin' on..we're all here with ya.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good stuff there TDG, but one thing caught me:
" I am trying to face it sober."
i don't think yer tryin. yer doin it!!

getting sober was the hardest thing i ever did. facing me, finding out what makes me tick and working on changing that was very hard( and i still gotta lotta work to do).
staying sober has been easy.

its very good to read the humility of ya using the opinions of those that went before ya, even if ya don't agree with em, it reads like yer seeing they may know sumthin.i used to be on a collision course with everyone who didn't see things my way or tell me what i wanted to hear( they told me what i needed to hear and that's what i needed. baby me and tell me what i wanted and it prolly woulda helped bury me.

im very impressed with seein ya lookin at yerself and what ya gotta change.
keep it up! it will get easier!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It ranges from being no big deal to almost impossibly hard, and can flip between the two many times in a day. Exhausting and def not easy!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Recovery is not for the faint of heart
Old 08-21-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It has been said that nothing lasting or worthwhile is ever "easy".

Looking at the major accomplishments in my life, I tend to agree!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

TDG, recovery is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. But, it's worth it.

You're doing great and you will get through this.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Recovery is scary, that is why we can not do it alone... and why we are all here. Keep going TDG.. look at my signature below.. good ol' Glinda was right.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anna,
Agreed- Recovery is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Fortunately it wasn't a continuously miserable experience. It wasn't hard every single step of the way. The hard times got further and further apart. I just learned to save up my energy and appreciate the "easier" parts of the journey in order to steel myself for the hard parts. When it got really hard, I told myself this won't last forever. And it didn't.
5 years later life is still hard sometimes- but it's not suppose to be is it?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome post TDG. Spot on, on all points. You are in my daily thoughts brother.