SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Today is my Day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/342697-today-my-day-1-a.html)

sunshine1919 08-21-2014 11:54 AM

Today is my Day 1

I am going to quit drinking for good today. I went to the doctor and my liver tests were high and my liver is enlarged. I will find out today or tomorrow how damaged it is. I'm scared but optimistic that it will be able to heal itself. I know I will be on here a lot.

Good luck to all of you! I look forward to getting to know you. Thank you for being here and offering support.

Sunshine1919

Findingtheway 08-21-2014 11:58 AM

Nice to have met you sunshine.

Early recovery has been tough sledding for me...I've encountered a few setbacks already...Use whatever tools you think will help you.

Each of our recoveries is different. That being said today is another day ONE for me too...With the help of SR i made a sound and sane decision to not drink today..Tomorrow will be day TWO.

One day at a time. :scoregood

Ghostlight1 08-21-2014 12:08 PM

Congratulations on your decision to quit. And good for you for going to the doctor. I hope everything comes back all right. Let it be a wake up call.
Best to both of you on day one, and remember you never have to drink again.

biminiblue 08-21-2014 12:10 PM

For me the decision had to be, "I no longer drink."

I played every game you'll ever hear to try to moderate my drinking. Some of have to accept the fact that the horse has left the barn. The ship has sailed. We've had our fill.

Once I reached the misery stage it was no longer worth it. Here's how it went for me:

First it was fun.
Then I needed it to have fun.
Then I needed it to feel normal.
Then I couldn't feel normal any more, just miserable. No more fun buzzes, no more euphoria, just misery.

As F. Scott Fitzgerald said, "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

NorMar 08-21-2014 12:10 PM

Hey SunShine, great place for support you found here. I'm new here too, but really like it. Google, "healthy liver supplements", or something similar. There are lots of non prescription supplements you can get that support healthy liver function. Best of luck.

Hobbers 08-21-2014 12:23 PM

The good news is, as long as you/we STOP DRINKING, the liver is truly the one organ that CAN in fact heal itself/forgive you.

Hopefully, you take this seriously, and to heart (or liver, as it were). Time for us all to stop killing ourselves, right?

Good luck!

PurpleKnight 08-21-2014 12:24 PM

Welcome back Sunshine1919!! :wave:

Great job on finally making the decision to quit completely, you'll find loads of support here on SR!! :)

Nonsensical 08-21-2014 12:25 PM

In a few months you will look back and think, I didn't quit drinking that day, I started living a sober life that day.

Congratulations. :)

Hevyn 08-21-2014 12:26 PM

Sunshine you are going to do this. :) We will help.

Life is so much better when we're not numb, bleary-eyed, and stupid. I can't believe I allowed myself to live that way for so long. Congratulations on a great decision.

Anna 08-21-2014 12:27 PM

Hi Sunshine,

I'm glad you posted.

It's scary to get test results like that, but use the fear to propel your recovery. I was scared too when I stopped drinking, for the same reason you are, and the fear helped get me through the first few weeks.

CharlesG 08-21-2014 02:48 PM

congrats! stick to it!
i am imagining future situations with my gf where i will feel compelled to drink and am ready for the future and sticking with recovering for good, we can do this!

Stoogy 08-21-2014 03:00 PM

Hi Sunshine, truly well done on deciding to quit, you will look back on this as the ultimate turning point in your life.

Welcome.

BBQBOY 08-21-2014 05:32 PM

Great decision!! Are you quitting cold turkey? How much were you drinking up until you stopped? I would ask my Dr. about possible withdrawal symptoms, they can make you pick up a drink again to calm down. Your doctor might be able to prescribe some meds to keep you calm and your blood pressure down. Withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous.

pakman 08-21-2014 05:34 PM

Welcome sunshine. I'm new to recovery as well. SR has already been a huge help. I hope you find support and help here as well

pakman