Notices

Finding the Higher Power

Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Finding the Higher Power

I know I believe in a higher power that I do call God, someone that guides me and has things happen to me for a reason. I do not affiliate with any specific religion though. Is that okay? I know He is real because He finally was able to speak to my former partner who admitted to me last night that she is powerless to alcohol as well. God is good, and sobriety is looking to be great.

What have others done to connect with their higher power, acknowledge him/her, or find it as well? Open to any or all suggestions.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Service to others always helps me feel closer to God.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Service to others always helps me feel closer to God.
Can service to others be as basic as just going and helping someone, providing support, or up to doing actual service work in the community?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always think of a higher power to be something outside of ourselves, there is something beyond myself, I'm just not too sure what it is!!

The reality is though if it works for you then go for it, the goal is to be Sober, how we achieve that, or what method we use is not the focus, it's what Sober results it's achieving!!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by travis9028 View Post
Can service to others be as basic as just going and helping someone, providing support, or up to doing actual service work in the community?
I think it can be as simple or complex as you want it to be.

People at this forum -people I have never met in person - helped me. Possibly even saved my life. I would definitely call that service to others.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't claim to have all the answers about God, but I do know I asked for His help in getting sober, and don't believe I would be where I am today without it.

Yes, service to others can be on whatever scale you wish. And don't forget, God created the animals too. Time spent volunteering at an animal shelter can be very rewarding.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I am over analyzing the religious aspect of it a little too much. IS finding that connection something that took different amounts of time for everyone, or did you just wake up one day and feel a spiritual connection with something? Maybe I just need to wait for my moment to happen, or did it and i just dont realize it.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by travis9028 View Post
I know I believe in a higher power that I do call God, someone that guides me and has things happen to me for a reason. I do not affiliate with any specific religion though. Is that okay?
Yes that is ok. You are doing just fine.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered

HP = not me. I found this via working the 12 steps and learning to right-size my ego and allow it to be a part of the universe in stead of in charge of it. lol
Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What helped me the greatest was not letting any prejudices I had against spiritual concepts deter me from honestly asking myself what they meant to me personally.