Notices

What A Great Place

Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What A Great Place

Found this forum quite by accident. What A Great Place! Feels great here. I have been battling my addiction to alcohol for about 4 years now. Doing pretty well. Few lapses over the years, but renewed goal is total abstinence. Feel that I can make it. Maybe relating some of my experiences from the past few years can help others. Will try to be a contributing member of this forum. I can definitely see some of my past, early sober, self in some of these posts.
I worked at one of the PetroChemical plants here on the Gulf Coast for 37 years, retired in 09. For most of those 37 years it was get off work, start drinking, continue until bedtime, get up with hangover, go to work, repeat. Majorly buzzed every night, drunk Friday night till Sunday night.
Lost control when I retired. Not having to go to work everyday, I started drinking earlier and earlier. Pretty much all day and night. I remember the night I lost control. I went to the store to get a 30 pack to watch the Super Bowl. Game went off, but I continued drinking until I passed out. Woke up early am, went straight to fridge to get a beer. Counted how many I had, and made sure I paced myself so I would not run out before stores opened, 7 am. Actually, I waited until 7:30 to go buy more. I reasoned that if I showed up exactly at 7, the clerk would get the mistaken idea I was a drunk needing another beer. Incredible, just incredible how the drunken mind works. Went on that way for a while, don't really know how long.
It still boggles my mind that I actually found the courage and strength to stop. I woke up one morning, said that was it. In a few hours I saw this was going to be more of a battle than I thought. After a week of hell, I woke up one morning after an actual good nights sleep without nightmares, seeing and hearing things. What a feeling. The fights not over, never will be. But I'm in a good place, and feel good about my chances.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi NorMar, welcome to the forum.

I used to go to lots of different shops for my booze so it didn't look like I was an alcoholic buying too much at one place. Things we do.

All the best with your sobriety , as you've seen a lot of like minded people here with one thing on their mind, staying sober.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Found it almost 2 weeks ago myself, and I agree. great little corner of the world for us drunks/former drunks to hang/hide out.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NorMar!! It's great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, NorMar. I am glad you are here with us.