Notices

New here and ready to get some help

Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and ready to get some help

Hi I'm new to this but have finally decided I can't continue like this.
I'm a secret drinker and only 1 person knows I have a problem, the thing is I have not openly admitted this to her yet, I'm only 21 and I'm scared that if I open up things will have to change (which I know they do) I've been drinking about 2 bottels of wine a night for the past 3 years but have recently started adding vodka to the mix, I am blacking out 9/10 times I drink which is scary.

I guess my question is how did you explain your feelings when you first opens up to another human being and any other advice would be great
Old 08-21-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. You've found a great place for support.
I see you made to the later stage alcoholic's best friend- vodka. And you're blacking out. Very bad signs indeed.
When I opened up to people who really didn't know the extent of my drinking, they were like, "Huh? not you." Of course, these people were those that drank as much as I did, so they weren't much help.
I really can't answer your question too well because I was an obvious drunk at the end. I thought I was pulling the wool over peoples eyes, but in reality, everyone knew.

My big move was to go to AA where I didn't know anyone, but they were there for the same reason as me; to solve our common problem with drink. What a relief it was to say to these people' I'm an alcoholic'. They understood.
Which leads me to my point, people may or may not understand when you tell them. You may get mixed reactions, but my bet is they will be overwhelmingly positive.
People appreciate honesty. know it will be hard for you to do, but maybe it'll be a load off your chest.
I wish you the best. It's human nature for people to appreciate honesty.And I hope that's what happens with you.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Lastchance!!

I didn't really tell too many people in the beginning, I focused on Sobriety and avoided all those conversations, gradually introducing the new Sober me to some friends and family members, focus on you first, it's up to you who you share your new direction in life with!!

Great to have you here!!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome LastChance. I did share my problems with my immediate family ( my wife ). All I can say is simply be honest. Lying about it won't help your relationship or you, and in order to seek the help you need you have to be honest with yourself especially. You might want to see your doctor or an addiciton counselor if you have access, quitting can be pretty dangerous at the levels that you have been drinking - be safe.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome lastchance - we're so glad to meet you.

I drank like that at 21 too. I did nothing about it - just tried my best to control it so I wouldn't have to stop all together. Decades later, my 'progressive disease' had taken almost everything from me and I was drinking all day. You are wise to reach out and seek help now - you'll never have to go through the nightmare that many of us have.