Notices

Well it's been a month...

Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
Basically I can moderate how often I drink, but not how much I drink.
I think that's called Binging. Ask the bingers here how that worked for them.

I wanted to drink without suffering the consequences of my drinking. I was fairly successful with that for the last 10 years of my alcohol consumption...until I wasn't.

good luck.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Why do you believe that it is impossible to drink once a month after going through a period of daily drinking? Especially considering I have one month of data suggesting that it isn't going to be a problem. But one month isn't enough time for me to feel confident.
Its never impossible to drink. I'm not being clever, either. Choosing to drink is like falling off a log inasmuch as there is no right or wrong way to do it. Same as drinking. No matter how you experiment with drinking, it won't make an important difference going forward. The writing is on the wall to read already, you know? I'm not against you drinking. I'm more speaking to your justifications, or at least my take on your postings.

Your on a recovery website. Your intentionally seeking a safe drinking zone based on your subjective experiences skewed towards your desires to continue drinking. Your determined to apply reasoning to your subjective feelings on successfully drinking. Eventually, your experiences will overwhelm your ability to justify your desires, and in that same Aha! moment you'll hopefully realize you really didn't have the time to experiment.

I last quit at 24. I started at 12. I wanted to quit at 18, but I also wanted to drink too. Looking back, those six years between 18 and 24 were years lived in chronic alcoholism. I too believed I had time. And then all of a sudden I ran out of time. It came down to live with sobriety or die with drunkenness scenario. I'm 57 now.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

If you've "lost that ability" to moderate, then your brain chemistry has not reset itself.
Also "getting toasty" a few times a month is also known as binge drinking.
I'm not attacking you dude, and I wish you the best. I think I remember from a previous post that you're around 25? I remember because I am the same age and I recognise myself in some of your posts, which causes me (and many SR members) concern.

I understand that your situation now is infinitely better than it was some time ago, but you are still drinking almost weekly and then posting about it on an alcoholic recovery site. The irony is palpable, Serper.

Last edited by RunnerBean; 08-21-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: iPhone typos!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Everyone has to decide for themselves if drinking is causing problems for them. At this stage... it's not for me.
So you honestly don't see your loss of control WHEN you drink as a problem? I understand that you are drinking far less frequently than you used to, but you just admitted that when you DO drink you cannot control how much you consume and get "pretty toasty".

I, along with just about everyone else here, has been at this very same "bargaining" stage.

I only drank on weekends for a while.

I tried only drinking 2 beers at each sitting.

I tried the official "moderation managment" program where there was a weekly maximum of drinks and a daily limit.

I tried alternating non-alcoholic beer with regular beer

I tried pretty much every possible thing I could try but eventually I ALWAYS ended up returning to heavy, daily drinking. Sometimes I took a few months so I thought I was doing OK, but inevitably I always ended up right back where I started.

You are young, intelligent and it's absolute your right to seek whatever end you may. You work in a competitive field and you seem to be a very driven person by nature, I would assume it's extremely difficult for you to accept that you cannot control something in your life - It was very hard for me as well. I can tell you without hesitation though that once I gave up the battle to control my drinking and simply accepted that I cannot do it, things got much easier all around. I hope you can find what works for you.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Why are you fighting so hard to keep an addictive and dangerous drug in your life? So you can spend a lifetime battling control over an addictive substance that has already once gotten you low enough to join a "sober recovery" website?

Quitting alcohol altogether is the only type of freedom from the drug. There is only one way to have complete control over drinking - to have none at all.

For me, I don't need it in my life and the physical and mental toll of trying to control this substance is a painful cross for anyone to bear, especially someone who has struggled before. I just don't see this ending well, to be blunt... if you want to truly be happy, you won't find it in a bottle.
^ this is dead on. I've tried quitting a bunch of times and it never ended well when I tried to control it.

This last time the thought of how to control it and what to do with my home brew supply was particularly nagging. It got to the point where I was having racing thoughts and anxiety about what to do with the alcohol and how maybe if I limit it to X amount I'll be okay...

The question you have to ask yourself at some point is whether or not drinking "a few" here and there is worth all of that thought you are putting into it?
Is a drink or two worth stressing yourself out, trying to justify?
Is it worth the guilt? Worth fighting the want to drink more after you've started?
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to make a decision not to drink at all and quit having to think about it?

You may look at it as being free and having the freedom to drink if you want to, but it is just the opposite. Your psychical freedom to drink is holding your mind as a prisoner.
Your freedom to drink if you want to is forcing you to think about drinking when you could be thinking about much more constructive things.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
So you honestly don't see your loss of control WHEN you drink as a problem? I understand that you are drinking far less frequently than you used to, but you just admitted that when you DO drink you cannot control how much you consume and get "pretty toasty".

I, along with just about everyone else here, has been at this very same "bargaining" stage.

I only drank on weekends for a while.

I tried only drinking 2 beers at each sitting.

I tried the official "moderation managment" program where there was a weekly maximum of drinks and a daily limit.

I tried alternating non-alcoholic beer with regular beer

I tried pretty much every possible thing I could try but eventually I ALWAYS ended up returning to heavy, daily drinking. Sometimes I took a few months so I thought I was doing OK, but inevitably I always ended up right back where I started.

You are young, intelligent and it's absolute your right to seek whatever end you may. You work in a competitive field and you seem to be a very driven person by nature, I would assume it's extremely difficult for you to accept that you cannot control something in your life - It was very hard for me as well. I can tell you without hesitation though that once I gave up the battle to control my drinking and simply accepted that I cannot do it, things got much easier all around. I hope you can find what works for you.

Honestly, yeah binging could end up being a problem. I'm more concerned with what happens when I do drink vs falling back into daily drinking again. I've had some pretty bad nights while binging/getting toasty whatever you want to call it. I've done some stupid things in the past, but they weren't that stupid. I never endangered my life or got a DUI. It was mostly just spending too much money on ordering food or sending a dumb text to a girl. Or calling up a friend and being like "hey man we need to hang out!" However, I've also had great nights in the past. My best relationships were started on nights with beer in our bellies. Those were great nights. Recently the nights have been great too. I've had some great "encounters" with women 2 out of the last 3 nights that I was out... which was totally worth it, especially because I needed to get over my ex... and what better way. I thank you for sharing your experience. I'm well aware of what drinking does, thanks to this site. So the moment the benefits do not outweigh the consequences. I'll abstain completely. You are right about your last paragraph it is tough for me to admit that I can't do something. I came from poverty and moved away from home early. I did everything on my own. I didn't even have textbooks my first semester in college (this was back when you actually needed the books to do well). So yeah, until I fail at this, I haven't failed at this.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

My best relationships were started on nights with beer in our bellies. Those were great nights. Recently the nights have been great too. I've had some great "encounters" with women 2 out of the last 3 nights that I was out... which was totally worth it, especially because I needed to get over my ex... and what better way.
Ok, this will be my last reply to this thread...and I really do wish you all the best...but dude...why are you posting this on a recovery site?? Seriously?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

So the moment the benefits do not outweigh the consequences. I'll abstain completely.
You've stated before, and again in this very thread that abstinence was currently your goal, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above comment.

Keep in mind too that all it takes is one bad night to shift the consequences in a major, major way. Since you are binging beyond your control, a DUI, picking up an STD, doing something stupid that affects your eligibility for Medical School, etc are all VERY real possibilities. Most people don't think "it can happen to them" until it does. And it does happen, more often than you think.

It sounds to me like you've made up your mind on this matter, so all I can really say at this point is good luck.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Ok, actually...I tried to delete my comment above but it won't let me. It was a little hot-headed and un-necessary. Admins -- if you want to delete it, please go ahead.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightmaresOnWax View Post
^ this is dead on. I've tried quitting a bunch of times and it never ended well when I tried to control it.

This last time the thought of how to control it and what to do with my home brew supply was particularly nagging. It got to the point where I was having racing thoughts and anxiety about what to do with the alcohol and how maybe if I limit it to X amount I'll be okay...

The question you have to ask yourself at some point is whether or not drinking "a few" here and there is worth all of that thought you are putting into it?
Is a drink or two worth stressing yourself out, trying to justify?
Is it worth the guilt? Worth fighting the want to drink more after you've started?
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to make a decision not to drink at all and quit having to think about it?

You may look at it as being free and having the freedom to drink if you want to, but it is just the opposite. Your psychical freedom to drink is holding your mind as a prisoner.
Your freedom to drink if you want to is forcing you to think about drinking when you could be thinking about much more constructive things.

This is a great post. I'm not stressed out about it. I'm not trying to justify it really. I came on here to report what has happened like a reporter, next time I'll be even more dry in my reporting. I don't have to think about it, except when Im typing on here. That's why I'm leaving SR. I'll check in next month, because this is the most I've even thought about drinking in the last 1.5 months. I am getting a bit unnerved now because I'm hearing that this is impossible to do. LOL. We shall see. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I will admit that. I have no problem with being wrong, but I do have a problem with people that don't know me saying I can't do something that they couldn't do. I can do lots of things that you can't do. That is a fact. So Ciao for now.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Anyone with a substance abuse problem should be welcome on this site, whether actively using or not. Going from daily drinking to three drinking episodes in one month is progress. It's up to you to decide if you want to move along even further in your sobriety journey. A lot of people here do not believe that harm reduction works, but I do. It is proven to be a path to abstinence for many.

I'm not an AA person but as they say, "progress not perfection". It's good to call people out on their denial but I also think it's important to reinforce and encourage the positive things they have accomplished.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Stay in touch, Serper2014. I think we all are interested in knowing how you are doing. And please don't equate the skepticism of some (or, frankly, most) for a lack of compassion. The one thing that SR has taught me is that the people here do really want the best for us. That is what motivates the overwhelming majority of those who respond to your posts.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Readerbaby I believe in harm reduction as a means to taper. Subox for heroin, has been shown to help significantly. But the goal is not lifetime subox it's abstinence. Chantix for cigarette cessation works in a similar fashion with abstinence the end goal. Tapering or medically supervised benzo treatment for alcohol. In all of the harm reduction models abstinence is the goal.

Even moderation management, which in disagree with personally, has strict limits. Nowhere does anyone suggest binging is acceptable as a harm redux model. The OP and subsequent posts have confirmed and self admitted to binging without control of the binges. Supporting this is enabling addiction, not harm redux and to confuse is dangerous and harmful!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You've stated before, and again in this very thread that abstinence was currently your goal, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above comment.

Keep in mind too that all it takes is one bad night to shift the consequences in a major, major way. Since you are binging beyond your control, a DUI, picking up an STD, doing something stupid that affects your eligibility for Medical School, etc are all VERY real possibilities. Most people don't think "it can happen to them" until it does. And it does happen, more often than you think.

It sounds to me like you've made up your mind on this matter, so all I can really say at this point is good luck.
I'm going to not drink for now, but I'm not making any promises on forever. I don't plan to, I would like to hit 30 days, but if i don't I'm not going to come here like its the end of the world saying I have to start over... I've learned way too much this summer and it would take daily drinking for a good amount of time to get back to where I was, and that is never happening. So yes, I'm going for 30 days, but I don't believe that if I hit 30 days and drink the next day that I'm at the same point I was last oct when I went to the hosp, or the day that I signed up here... that's nonsense.

You are right, and it does only take one bad night to shift things into perspective. I will have to be very very careful. I'll be graduated soon so I don't think I'll get kicked out of med school, but hey it could happen. I think if it was going to happen it would have already lol, but yes Ill be very careful. Thanks for the advice scott... Ill see you next month or so, who knows maybe Ill get 30 days sober in a row!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Readerbaby I believe in harm reduction as a means to taper. Subox for heroin, has been shown to help significantly. But the goal is not lifetime subox it's abstinence. Chantix for cigarette cessation works in a similar fashion with abstinence the end goal. Tapering or medically supervised benzo treatment for alcohol. In all of the harm reduction models abstinence is the goal.

Even moderation management, which in disagree with personally, has strict limits. Nowhere does anyone suggest binging is acceptable as a harm redux model. The OP and subsequent posts have confirmed and self admitted to binging without control of the binges. Supporting this is enabling addiction, not harm redux and to confuse is dangerous and harmful!
Very great post.... I'm actually hoping that I will stop binging eventually... but one step at a time.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, JD.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
Anyone with a substance abuse problem should be welcome on this site, whether actively using or not. Going from daily drinking to three drinking episodes in one month is progress. It's up to you to decide if you want to move along even further in your sobriety journey. A lot of people here do not believe that harm reduction works, but I do. It is proven to be a path to abstinence for many.

I'm not an AA person but as they say, "progress not perfection". It's good to call people out on their denial but I also think it's important to reinforce and encourage the positive things they have accomplished.

Thankyou. I should be welcome here...at least I thought I should be. I didn't think I was breaking any rules by talking about what has been going on with myself lately. I could lie, but what would the point in coming here be? I want to be honest with you all.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thankyou. I should be welcome here...at least I thought I should be. I didn't think I was breaking any rules by talking about what has been going on with myself lately. I could lie, but what would the point in coming here be? I want to be honest with you all.
Being honest with us is not really important - being honest with yourself is.

You say you've learned a lot this summer on SR. Try this - go back and read this post assuming that someone else wrote and ask yourself what advice you would give that person.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ofcourse you are welcome here :-) and progress is still progress!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Sometimes people aren't asking for advice. They just want to be heard.