Notices

Sugar Addiction

Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar Addiction

During the last few years of my boozing, I developed a sugar addiction too. Actually, I'd probably had the sugar addiction all along because I've always been a complete hound when it comes to cookies, cakes, muffins, etc.

When I stopped drinking for 7 months, I thought the sugar cravings would go away. I tried to clean out all of the sugar-laden "food" in the place and concentrated on eating mainly salads and protein, along with veggies and lots of blueberries (my fave!).

The sugar craving didn't abate. Not one bit.

Today, I ate a bag of gourmet malted milk balls. They are silky smooth and so very tasty. I ate so many that I got dizzy and sick to my stomach. I had about 10 left so I gave them to a coworker, just to get them out of my reach.

Anyone else have a bad sugar jones?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking my sugar cravings increased, the body saw a huge drop in sugar intake without all the alcohol I used to consume!!

I don't really worry about it too much, Sobriety is on top of the to do list each day, and as long as I get exercise and eat healthy the rest of the time, no harm in some sugar now and again!!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I LUV SALT. Moreso, I LUV MIXED NUTS. Pecans, almonds, cashews, filberts, pistacchios, I do not discriminate. Its nutastic
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recently had a sugar attack. I only started eating sugar/chocolate after I quit drinking. Then I quit sugar again. The past couple days I had chocolate. Be careful, sugar is bad for you in more ways than one.

I had to laugh, "gourmet" malted milk balls. Just get the 5lb bag of whoppers at the farmers market.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been jonesing for sugar every night. I normally don't eat sugary foods or desserts, but I crave the heck out of them since not drinking. I hope it goes away, but you can eat a lot of sugar for the same calorie content as drinking a lot of alcohol, without the hangover. I think you should get a Kubota.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I recently had a sugar attack. I only started eating sugar/chocolate after I quit drinking. Then I quit sugar again. The past couple days I had chocolate. Be careful, sugar is bad for you in more ways than one.

I had to laugh, "gourmet" malted milk balls. Just get the 5lb bag of whoppers at the farmers market.
Ya. Sugar is deadly. For one thing, it "feeds" cancer (I've already had one kidney removed because of cancer). It also affects every cell in your body. And, of course it does a real number on your pancreas and liver.

I thought by purchasing these spendy milkballs, I'd limit my consumption. Nope, they taste a billion times better than Whoppers. And I ate them as quickly as I would the Whoppers, too. Yikes.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ya might wanta get checked for diabetes, buddy.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sugar hits the same brain receptors that alcohol (which is also a sugar) hits.

I have to be very careful, as I have in the past eaten half gallons of ice cream by myself more than once a week...I can definitely do the same as the bag o' gourmet malt balls. If I buy a bag or box of cookies, they will be gone in one day. Not a good habit.

I've been buying fig newtons, but I think I do it to try to fool myself that they are good (or better) for me.

Then I eat all of them in one day. What's the point?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

A healthier alternative is pork skins. Seriously. You just can't hang around with other people after a bag.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

My sugar consumption has gotten out of control. I could eat salt water taffy until my stomach hurt then eat some more. Plus I notice it will change my mood to crabby when I start to come off it. I used the whole30 guidelines to get myself off it once.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

odd about sugar..I havent hardly eaten any (many fruits included) in about a dozen years (well except for those alcohol sugars). Not a bite of cake, a cookie, etc. and just about a week ago, had a craving. Hit my kids stash and had 3 chocolate chip cookies, 70 cal's each and a glass of whole fat milk. IT was the best tasting thing I've ever had. But I thought, wow in about 2 minutes I downed 360 pretty bad calories...But next night, same thing. I've changed it up a bit now..2 dark chocolate Pepp farm Milanos are 110, and 4oz of whole milk, 75. almost a 200 cal savings, but get to keep my sugar. I don't eat any other all day.. I'm hoping this passes.. I'm going to make an angel food cake with Truvia thursday and use that 'awful' fat free coolwhip and some berries. We'll see.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried to steer myself towards fruit.

I still have more of a sweet tooth than I used to but it's not out of control now.

D
Old 08-20-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm trying to "cure" my wife from sugar. I ppicked up fat free unflavored yogurt for cheerios. So now I'm eating the unflavored yogurt with blueberries and strawberries in my cerial.
taste more like sour cream. But good with fruit.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm trying to "cure" my wife from sugar.
Hey, it was great to know you!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

trach - funny, this morning I told her that I want her to stop 'eating' all the sugar in her diet - yogurts and such, - I got the EVIL EYE.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm trying to "cure" my wife from sugar. I ppicked up fat free unflavored yogurt for cheerios. So now I'm eating the unflavored yogurt with blueberries and strawberries in my cerial.
taste more like sour cream. But good with fruit.
I am a blueberry fiend. Last night, I mixed blueberries into cottage cheese. That was yummy! I am aiming towards nuts, blueberries and probably non-sweetened yogurt for my snack attacks. Also trying to cut down on bread. I eat the rougher, seedier kinds of bread but it's still packed with carbs (which break right down to sugar, of course).

First booze, and now sugar. Hope I don't have to give up coffee.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

sounds like a good plan JD
Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sugar is next for me.....lord help me give up my sweets. Lots of good suggestions here, thanks everyone. I like the angel food cake with trivia or stevia idea...I might try making one. And I love blueberries, I could eat tons of them.